Talented Healer produces an avalanche of cards

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Crux, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Enjoy until the next build goes up!

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Good to know thanks Jon!

3. Umbra8

Umbra8 Kobold

I have to say the similarity of function with Altruism seems to make this card a bit redundant. While they differ slightly in execution the feel and practical use of them are so close to identical I wonder if there isn't a better way to implement one of them to make them more divergent. Perhaps as altruism (as a principle) is about helping others without personal gain then when it procs perhaps the target draws a card instead of the caster? How about if Talented Healer instead of causing a card draw removes a negative buff on the target, automatically or with a die roll?

4. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Than it would be terrible.

5. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Terribly indeed!

6. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

You just made a powerful enemy. You will rue the day you spellchecked me!

7. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

So, here's the thing that I didn't realise about the intended difference between Altruism and Talented Healer (Skaff designed them both). One is designed to trigger off a lot of different cards but requires a roll to succeed (Altruism) whereas the other triggers off a much smaller set of cards (Talented Healer) but ALWAYS draws when it triggers.

It will be interesting to see which is better.

8. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Don't quite understand "much smaller set of cards". TH triggers off unholy cards as well, while Altruism doesn't.

9. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Exactly, unholy has a nice set of cards associated with it. Maybe we should take count of how many cards trigger for each and lay them out for discussion to see by the numbers how they compare and figure out their uses as well as which is better

10. Umbra8

Umbra8 Kobold

I can say if Talented Healer always proc'd on use, that would be what I'd use exclusively. If it's consistent you can build a deck around it allowing you to cycle cards at a ridiculous rate. Any card that forces a draw just makes your deck more efficient (especially with the aforementioned Holy Armour). I thought the wave of cards from TH would see it nerfed as soon as I experienced it, but there was no question as to it's efficacy or superiority to Altrusim.

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Holy armor is the main offender right now as long as it only procs on cards it will be interesting to see how it works out.

12. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

So, basically, it's back to the "ways to make this list smaller" pile: limit it to Holy cards; limit it to played cards and not to triggered healing effects; and whatever else people have suggested.

And on that front: if you heal three different people with a single play, Talented Healer gives you three new cards, right? I just want to be clear on that so I can repeat: limit it to one card per play instead of X cards per play.

13. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

TH now rolls a die for each heal, success draws a card from deck. So, healing burst could potentially empty your deck or give you no cards at all.

edit: TH is intentionally designed as a better card than Altruism, going by titlebar color. So the problem isn't about making the 'list' smaller but whether it is too OPed.

edit2: too lazy to make a new post. :p
    a) chance of HA+TH drawing at least 1 card = 43.75% per hit
    b) chance of HA+TH drawing exactly 1 card = 18.75% per hit
    c) chance of HA+TH drawing exactly 2 cards = 18.75% per hit
    d) chance of Inspiring Armor drawing 1 card = 66.67% per hit

14. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

Just to reopen this, the "Talented Lifestealer" seems completely over the top. I just had Invigorating Touch proc talented healer, giving me another one, and then a Draining Touch. 6 damage, 6 healing *and* and another card seems broken for such an easy to set up combo.

15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I disagree if this is what you want to do with your deck have fun its not broken in my opinion.

16. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Considering it only procs if you heal someone who's not fully healed - it has a limited amount of possible procs, and still requires you to go with an all heal build (and draining cards are pretty rare) to not get armor, melee attacks, move et c on your priest. It CAN proc a lot under the right circumstances yes, gamebreaking... don't think so, but worth keeping an eye on for the devs.

17. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

That's actually not how it's currently working. If your *target* is not at full health when you lifedrain them, then you get the card. You can keep drawing cards until they're dead, even if you're at full health when you start.

My first attempts to abuse this have been a bit weak, but when it works it's really, really obnoxious, especially on maps where one crazed vampire priest can cover all the victory squares. I need more lifesteal, though. I don't know if Wozarg's right, or I just don't have the right cards/strategy yet. I'll keep working on it.

18. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I think Sir Knight reported there might be an issue with talented healer and draining cards (that it checked the attacked for his health status) - this sounds more like a bug than a feature to me?

19. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

The interactions of Martyr's Blessing and Talented Healer allow priests to generate a *lot* of cards, and both cards allow you to start cycling through quickly to get the other.

The really notable ones are the three cards that give you a 2-card draw:
    Misguided Heal - it procs of either of them, so it's great to cycle though, and you get a small heal & 2 cards
    Demonic Pain, where you draw 2 cards
    Unholy Power, where the recipient draws 3 cards if they're a Martyr

There are some others that are interesting
    Demonic Feedback draws 3 cards, but does 5 damage.
    Accelerated Thought

I'm not winning a lot with it - yet - but I'm still missing some key cards (I've only got 3 items with Martyr at all, and only one Shoddy Healing Token), and I'm still refining it and making a lot of noob mistakes.

I'm already a little concerned about how obnoxious it is, though - it can't be much fun to play against. Spike damage can kill one of them, but otherwise they camp the victory points, heal back to full every turn (one of the highlights of the build is that you get to just stand in lava and heal through it), and every now and then one of them will have an opportunity to dash over and pummel someone to death.

Something to keep an eye on.