Talented Healer produces an avalanche of cards

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Crux, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Crux

Crux Kobold

Talented Healer works every time you heal, even if you don't spend a card. Even with Holy Armor.

I just got that combo and drew about 15 cards in 1 turn. I found myself intentionally shooting my cleric just to give him chances at 3 card draws.

It might be a bit overpowered.

2. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

Overpowered? Mebbe. Hilarious when its going? Definately. :D

3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Should probably trigger on using heal cards not holy armor

4. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

It does say "whenever you heal", rather than "when you play a heal card" though.

Note that it also work from any form of healing, such as lifesteal attacks...

Which really open up for really insane potential with Unholy cards (such as Unholy Feedback that give your ally 2 cards as well as 5 more HP you can heal)

Imagine human priests with Leadership to go with all those card draws...throw all your hand away and instantly draw the rest of your deck XD

5. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

That is my point, I'm not saying it works incorrectly. I'm saying it should probably be changed to work differently. three priests lots of drains and martyrs blessing and only holy armor x3 in their armor slot watch as **** goes nuts.

6. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

If anything it should be Spell Train wizard with Firestorms/Fireballs and 2 Talented Healer priests.

Remember it's draw when healing someone who's not full HP, with 3 priests you might not hurt enough characters quickly enough.

Anyway, it's very dependent on Holy Armor right now, but I think something like this is necessary to help priests actually be able to heal your character enough when 5 enemies swarm over one of them to survive.

7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Careful: that doesn't sound like a good thing to me. I presume you're saying "5 enemies" as a shorthand for "massive amounts of Attacks that usually mean death." If so, well, you DON'T want a game to have a character build that renders you immune to death. It would become the only viable build and the game wouldn't be very fun.

Perhaps Talented Healer could trigger only off Holy cards (that Heal)? No life drain and no Armor cards that way.

Only Holy or Unholy? No Armor cards.

Edit: One could also add a line at the end of Talented Healer that says "This does not apply to triggered Heal effects," thus avoiding Holy Armor and other such things in the future. However, I wonder: does Talented Healer respond to every single triggered Heal in Healing Blessing? That would be even more cards, and would lead my suggestion here into a mixed scenario.

But really, I don't know which direction Blue Manchu will go with this. The last time we saw a "loop" was Path Of Knives/Crude Plates and Jon's only concern was that it should be animated better (and thus easier to understand.) The present case involves drawing more cards, sure, so there's more game balance at hand than just funny visuals.

8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I wonder if it works like this because coding it differently gets complicated but preferably it would only trigger on casting a healing card of some sort and only once per card. Healing currently is in a pretty good spot in both pve and pvp something like this could shatter that completely. As much as i like infinite loop combos and silly stuff like that to exist it shouldn't be as easy to set up as a single group heal after i draw a specific card.

Note that i haven't actually played with the card almost at all and haven't started trying to break it. So there is a small chance I'm just talking out of my ass here and its fine. But it sounds very very broken.

9. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Hey all, so there could definitely be balance problems with this card, since I only just implemented it and we haven't balance tested it at all yet.

When I was implementing it, I was in two minds about whether it should heal on play of Heal card or on any healing effect. It was actually a lot more work to do it on the healing effect since I had to add a new trigger event for that.

Anyway, it could well be that it either needs a die roll or it should trigger in less circumstances. The goal is to provide some more options for a healing oriented priest build, but obviously we don't want it to make that an overpowered build in MP. Let us know your thoughts!

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I could see it triggering on any heal on like 5+ meaning a party heal is "100%" or work like it does now but only if you actually cast a healing card and only once per cast but i will gladly try it out some more before i make my personal judgement call on how i would like it.

This thing needs a fix for sure. Lost the one without cards to being lazy but hey who cares when resurrection 5 cards fee is a minimal cost and the fact that he starts at 5 hp only gives you more to heal making it even simpler to train.

This deck is sloppy and thrown together with commons and junk imagine if it was fine tuned with higher rarity cards or the horror of 2 Talented Healer per deck as i can only have one right now. Really think having it only trigger from the actual use of a healing card is the way to go as i can do such dumb things with 3 holy armor even if it was chance based.
    [​IMG]

11. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

What if it only draw once when a healing effect happen (like, a way to recognize Holy Armor's proc as a single event, as well as something like Healing Burst/Healing Presence start-of-round as one thing), rather than once for each time it heal?

It'd reduce the chaining power with AoE heal/holy armor, but still let healing priests get better draws than using Altruism and nom-face priests still can use it to draw out of all the lifesteal attacks.

12. Malliki

Malliki Kobold

the "old" draw mechanic of alturism / inspiration, is wastly outclassed by this curent mechanic, both in utility and card draw, maybe put the same dice roll on able healer? though i feel even then they would sort of be diferent ways to do the same thing, where one is just better than the other.

13. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

My first MP build consisted of three priest utilizing Altruism to draw upwards of ten cards per turn. With altruism only triggering once per card played and at only 50% of the time, it is far from overpowered, but certainly good.

The current mechanics of Talented Healer triggering off of not only each card played, but any healing effect make it phenomenal. Furthermore it resolves off of each individual character makes amazingly overpowered! One downside I see in MP to this amount of draw is the time it requires to utilize it properly, drawing games out unnecessarily. That being said, this current Talented Healer makes Altruism obsolete.

I agree with Sir Knight in that it should trigger off of a smaller number of variables, or at a percentage like Altruism. Additionally, Sir Knight brought up an interesting suggestion, about how perhaps it should trigger off of unholy cards. Perhaps some vampirism trait card would be rather interesting to see. While a vampiric priest may not have been the original intent, it would make more options for a unique type of self healing priest. It may be something worth looking into. :D

14. Jon

I'm still not sure where we're going to go with this long term, but the next build (going up today) will have a 4+ die roll for Talented Healer to trigger.

15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I'll try to break it that way to give you something to look at if it fails that at least says something and the same thing goes for if it still works.

16. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's a lot of cards.

17. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

So even after the patch i manage to do this without much trouble and the biggest culprit is holy armor. Since it only heals for one its hard to cap out on life and since it heals your whole team its a sooo many triggers even at 50% you will go full circle easily. If this didn't trigger from items it would be fine the way it is I'm almost completely sure.

Could most likely make the team 3x human with all double leadership skill possibly even triple if that exists and take it even further just cycling piles of cards to take them all to infinite card mode even faster.

Found at least one holy skill that has both altruism and talented healer time to go even further.

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Lets just say my human idea was in the right ballpark it went from well that's unfair to why don't you save us both time and surrender before the match starts. If its hard to tell that's a round one kill where i could easily keep going if i needed to and just cycle the entire deck infinitely and i have plenty of time left despite having slowdown issues. let me stress the fact that this is with sub par items and lack of duplicates that would take this even further until it is guaranteed turn 3 win consistently.

[​IMG]

I would personally make the card 100% but only one time per heal cast not sure if that is hard to fix if it has to check if it actually heals first?

19. Jon

So, I implemented this card wrong. The intention was for it to draw when you play a healing card only. It's going to change to that.

20. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

Ah it was fun while it lasted :) It was a fun combo. Just finished the regular levels.