Swiss-style Tournament Info / Sign-Up!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Stexe, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm not out of town, as it turns out, so I'm in. I'll PM you my build as soon as I have it.

IGN: Flaxative

p.s. Glory to the Sorcererers!!

2. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Im in :), need start work on my deck

Flaxative likes this.
  3. jday

jday Mushroom Warrior

I will join.

Not that I intend to use this, but you should clarify if holiday items and the item they are based on count as the same item.

Stexe and neoncat like this.
  4. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Should be fun!

IGN: CT5

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Even if it was 7 PM UTC it would be till 10 PM UTC, which means it would be 2 AM to 5 AM for you since you have to stay for the full 3 hours or you're pretty much disqualified from any prizes. Seems like that would be too late for anyone, or am I mistaken?
    Good point, I'll update it to clarify that holiday items count as the same item they are based on for duplicate purposes and are thus illegal to use both at the same time.

Flaxative likes this.
  6. Stexe

I should be posting my build later tonight / early tomorrow morning publicly. That's when everyone is free to send me their build. You can change it at any time up to an hour before the tournament in case you find some new items or come up with a new strategy. Remember, any questions or concerns feel free to ask here or contact me privately! =)

7. ArcadianRook

ArcadianRook Goblin Champion

So... does that mean this is going to be at 2pm Eastern, 3pm Eastern or 4 pm Eastern?

8. Stexe

Good question! It is set for 3 PM Eastern (8 PM UTC) at the moment. Unless there is some overwhelming response from a large number of people for it to change... it will stay at that time.

9. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

OK so I have only one copy of an Epic item but I want to use it in the same slot on one of my main characters AND the alternate/sub character that I want to swap that character with...so ?
    Looks like I am playing at high noon.

10. Stexe

That's fine as long as your sub always swaps with the person who carries the same item. However, you're limiting yourself for your sub to only swap with that single character because otherwise it would make your party invalid.

11. Adenou

Adenou Kobold

I'm in. I'll PM my build when it's ready.

12. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Working on a build for the tournament. Expect me to submit something when I'm ready too.

13. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Are we going to face each person in the tournament once, as in one 11-minute battle, or are we going to face each opponent with a best of three?
    Just to be clear.

14. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

First post says 6 rounds of 30 minutes (11 minutes per player + extra time for managing). So only one battle per round. Maybe best of three for the finals that will take place on another day.

So ya, what's the point of the sidekick (the 4th guy allowed for replacement)?

15. Stexe

Just to add a bit of flexibility. It is very minor and completely optional. The primary reason for it is if your main build doesn't seem to be working for you in the first round or two you could swap in your sub and see if you do better.

The finals will maybe be a best of 3, I haven't really determined how it will work exactly but it will definitely be on a different day with just the 4 finalists. No need to worry about it now, it is more going to be a spectator event for others.

16. Stexe

Okay, here is my build below (and in the second post). I hope it helps explain the things you can do with a sub with the note at the bottom.

MY BUILD:

Dverf
    Level 20 Dwarf Warrior

1 x Slicer
    1 x Hardy Mail
    3 x Fiery Stab
    1 x Toughness
    2 x Team Run
    1 x Weak Chop
    1 x Stab
    2 x Blind Rage
    1 x Impaler

Stexe
    Level 16 Dwarf Wizard

2 x Flame Jet
    2 x Hover
    2 x Toughness
    2 x Vulnerable
    4 x Frost Jolt
    3 x Squeamish
    1 x Cold Snap

St.exe
    Level 2 Dwarf Wizard

1 x Quick Step
    1 x Parry
    1 x Maze
    1 x Toughness
    1 x Cold Snap
    2 x Freeze
    2 x Firestorm
    1 x Hot Spot
    1 x Immovable
    1 x Force Bolt
    2 x Hover
    1 x Big Zap

SUB:

Clureek
    Level 20 Dwarf Priest

1 x Vulnerable
    2 x Immovable
    1 x Quick Step
    2 x Fiery Stab
    1 x Weak Chop
    2 x Stab
    1 x Minor Heal
    1 x Barge
    2 x Altruism

NOTE: My character "St.exe" and sub "Clureek" both have Corian's Boots, which means in order for my team to be valid I must *always* sub "St.exe" with "Clureek" to maintain the "only 1 item per team rule" (no changing items between characters mid tournament).

17. The Red Queen

The Red Queen Kobold

IGN: The Red Queen

I'll submit my build a bit later.

18. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I'm in Sydney, +10. So it's early sunday morning for me.

19. Stexe

Yeah, but that isn't too bad. I mean for some people it is like 2 AM to 5 AM which isn't really feasible unless they are night owls or super dedicated to Card Hunter.

It is hard to schedule people to play given all the different time zones in the world. It just seems like this (plus or minus an hour) is the best for the largest number of players (given that the game is in English and thus most players speak English).

The first community run tournament (by Flaxative) had each match schedule at a different time. It was a nightmare to organize all the people from all around the world and lasted like a month or so. While it definitely did a lot of neat things, like the ability for Flaxative and/or CT5 to narrate all the matches, it was also LONG and CONFUSING. Having everyone play at once really makes it easier to run, more structured to play, and a lot more exciting overall.

20. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

If it's staying at UTC 8pm, you can sign me up. I should be able to get up.