Swiss-style *SPEED* Tournament Info / Sign-Up!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Stexe, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Aiven

Aiven Orc Soldier

It's our national day, which is a big deal here in Norway. Shame, cause it looks like a really fun tournament.

2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Yeah, I can't push it back again! :-P

3. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Sadly I can't be sure if I'm available the 17th at that time yet. Is it possible signing in, like, 24hrs in advance?

4. Stexe

Yes, as long as I have 2 or 3 hours advanced notice I can add or remove anyone.

5. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Cool thanks, I shall be able to know for sure the day before :)

6. Stexe

Looks like we just got a huge jump of new players. Went from something like 9 to 14ish in a day.

Anyway, remember to download the maps and be there 15 minutes early so I can go over the structure of the format (the random maps, who hosts, and who is matched against whom). See you then! =)

7. GunsmoKing

GunsmoKing Kobold

Sorry I can no longer participate tomorrow. Unfortunate turn of events... Took myself out of the pool already. Good luck to all that get to play. Wish I still could.

8. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Letting you know in the end I can't make it :(

9. Stexe

Oh well. Thanks for letting me know at least. Maybe next time! (If I ever run one again)

10. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I'm looking forward to join a CH tournament. I'm in no way a skilled player, but I enjoy competition and all that kind of stuff. I hoped I could make it, but I'll be out of home by the time the whole thing starts.

Are you guys going to live-stream it? Maybe I can be back for spectating the last hour or so

11. Stexe

Yes, Flaxative and CT5 will be streaming it with commentary (I believe on Twitch) and I'll be streaming my end as well (on Google Hangout). I'll try to post a link to it and their stream here.

Bandreus likes this.
  12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

13. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

Thanks for doing this Stexe. I had fun even if I hate your freezing dwarf wizards with the passion of a thousand fiery suns.

neoncat, Stexe and Flaxative like this.
  14. Stexe

Everyone's builds are here if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W4xVvUzbmIbWx67N5MJ_ViV4tjNUFKvpDR64chHniV0/edit?usp=sharing

I almost definitely would have won the match against jday and maybe against neoncat if I wasn't spending so much time discussing my moves and stuff to the audience (was video recording it and explaining a lot). Either way I'm obviously skipping myself for prizes since I ran the contest so my placement doesn't really matter. It was pretty smooth although 2 people not showing up (well 1 no show and 1 with internet problems) messed it up a bit.

I'd like to get feedback on what people thought about Rare or lower item restriction, the 6 minute time limit, and the draw limits.

15. WhiteSorcerer

WhiteSorcerer Guild Leader

Thanks Stexe , it was really fun!
    I got an average result as fourth, my build was that:
    (I made it at the last moment without much thought and now i see a lot of flaws - martyr bless cards and elven maneuvers)

Macaxeher
    Level 20 Human Warrior

Aelmaeer
    Level 1 Elf Warrior

Fever Ray
    Level 1 Human Priest

Backup:

Dungeon Master
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  16. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

So this was kind of fun. When it worked, it worked really well. I enjoyed about 5 of my games, since I faced both no-shows.
    Then there were the other 5 games where 3 of them were time out (plus the game freezing*), and two of them where I just plain misplayed because of the time constraint/stress/my cat jumping on my keyboard. Those 5 games were not so good, especially when I was in the lead.

*The game freezes when the out of time message appears if I was trying to click on a card just as time expires. I was forced to log out, twice, just to get back to the lobby.

17. WhiteSorcerer

Oh, I didn't see that you posted the builds before my post. I will look up the others :D What about the prizes?

The restriction was nice, I haven't played peasant but this already feels like a more fair competition, as collection matters less. The time limit worked for me, it wasn't hard to keep up with the clock. The draw restriction seemed an interesting tool but i'm not used to trait cycling on my regular play and although I ran martyr bless. and elven maneuvers I hardly exceeded the limit

18. Stexe

I'm going to work out the prize structure later tonight or tomorrow. Basically the top 3 will get a majority of the prizes and then everyone else will be randomly entered to win some prizes as well. It is scaled based on how you placed so last place might have a 2% chance while second to last will have a 4% chance and third to last will have a 6% chance... and so on. It is what I did last time and it worked well.

EDIT: If you look at tiebreaker points then you'd see that there is a huge gap between 2nd / 3rd place and between 4th place: 69 vs 57.5

19. Stexe

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd do a 6 min tournament again. It is way too hectic and leaves little downtime in case of problems (like real life things coming into play or whatever). I think 10 minutes are fine without them dragging out to much. 11 minutes (or 12) feels good too for trait cycling / second player advantage (can look at cards and plan at the start while the first player's clock is ticking).

I'm curious what people thought about Draw Limits and having access to Rare or lower items. Did you feel they were overly restricted?

20. WhiteSorcerer

The people that were absent will count?