Suggestions for improving the Custom Scenarios

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Phaselock, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Note sure if this is the correct forum to post but instead of me pinging Farbs for feature requests over mail, I thought it might be better to consolidate ideas from other interested map makers on desired improvements to the current system. The devs can implement as and when they find time/interest.

A little history:
    The custom scenario editor came into being somewhere in the middle of May 2013 when in a fit of insanity?, Farbs decided to do an experimental feature. It started off as a command line feature and then progressed into a simple functional UI. So its really only been about a few weeks of work in the past 4 mths old or so. Naturally, there are still many stuff that needs attention (like Gabbek breaking the map limit recently ;) ) and features desired.

Motivation:
    I see stuff like co-op and custom monster decks as distant timelines/wishlist dependent on getting the current system right. My suggestions below pertain to stuff between now to getting the custom editor robust. So its more direct suggestions and little tweaks that open up new world of opportunities.

My Top 3 suggestions:
    a) fix reinforced doors line of sight.

I understand that the 'door' is a hack and why its doesn't restrict LoS. During the recent contest, I found myself testing the door and discarding ideas because it granted LoS to the enemy mob, especially ranged monsters. This kinda restricted the types of map I wanted to build. So really, all I'm asking for is (at least for now) to allow for 1 proper 'obstacle' class mob, ie, deny LoS all ways. I shouldn't be able to see past it to an enemy and vice versa. I could use it for building dungeon puzzles, pushing it into hallways to block/stall enemies, sneaking etc.

b) customizable VPs per monster

Some scenarios in the campaign already have this but its not in the CSE. I'd like to make gauntlet type scenarios where mobs act like towers in tower defense and the party has to go from A to B and stand in VP to win/kill some mob at B. Somewhat like the 2nd stage in Against the Cockroaches, except that the cockroaches are not mobile and come with only ranged/aoe attacks. This would pave the way for new types of maze survival ticking time bomb type challenges. Players could spend turns taking down the mobs or risk it all charging to victory terrains. A marginal idea I had is penalty VPs, kill the wrong mob and you give VPs to the enemy !

c) hidden terrain information

I've tested this. If you assign victory terrain to tile but don't give any decal indication, players can just right-click each tile to find it. Its still a giveaway. I'd like to have a sixth terrain information which displays something along the line of "This terrain is magically obscured" when I right-click the tile. Basically, the tile could be open/difficult with a hidden element to it, discoverable after standing on it over a turn. It could actually be a VP or a trap! Yeah, opens up a whole new aspect to tabletop dnd and meshes well with all the terrain flavor gameplay already present.

So that's my Top3 requests for custom scenarios. What say you ? :)

Zoorland likes this.
  2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

A) Couldn't the door be "fixed" by giving it a new trait instead of Immovable? Maybe even remove solid wood - and have it all be a 1 card deck ensuring it's always active/non-discardable. This new trait could be called "Inanimate Object" - have it count as blocking terrain, armor 3, and have the immovable effect. Shouldn't be impossible within the current game settings? Just requires a new card.

b) So much this!

3. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Wouldn't giving it blocking terrain make it immune to damage ? It solves the LoS issue but then becomes indestructible ? Now we are talking about a whole new breed of doors :D

4. Pengw1n

Good point, adding a smoke screen and impassable effect to them then?

5. Pengw1n

Also, ability to set level range for maps intended for either mp or pve in any maps you use player characters (auto de-elevel as per quests?). Would be fun to be able to create low level adventures without resorting to a lot of pretend rules.

6. progammer

progammer Ogre

Then I want my custom deck !! This should not be too complicated and open up many possibility. People can already spoil themselves if they add monster they hasn't encountered yet in the custom map. There is no use hiding all the cards from players. ( I do admit though the sense of discovery when i saw new cards are interesting, maybe we can hide this feature until we complete the campaign ?)

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

A. I'm fine with the current Reinforced Doors, but a new blocking door would make things interesting. It's just that a "blocks LoS" trait would be weird, but doable (make it the default move, like Immovable currently is).

B. Already part of my wishlist.

C. I think this would be overly frustrating.

A level cap would be great, and probably not hard to implement.

We could implement an in-game Bestiary that shows the stats of every monster you've seen so far, and those are the only ones you can use in the scenario editor. If you load someone else's scenario, unseen monsters are highlighted in red and won't be loaded.

8. progammer

progammer Ogre

That's for normal campaign monster, I want the ability to create any kind of monster, flying zombies, fire breathing pigs, holy dogs, etc... Granted the AI wont' be able to utilize the deck to its fullest, but that's where we can tweak the deck around. The sense of discover : finding out which cards does this monster have is just as fun as finding never-seen-before card IMO.

9. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Yh, this has been voiced since the dawn of CSE creation. And as stated in the OP, its going to be a distant timeline.

Well...actually a door is supposed to block LoS which it currently doesn't...that's what makes it weird. I had a door between the oak tree king and an MP party while doing the contest. Tested and it 1 turned my party with acorns leaving the door unharmed. So apparently, the acorns were phasing past the door to hit my party. Awesome acorns! :(

Nice list.

Huh ? Its a feature request, nothing about whether its frustrating or not. Just want to create challenges beyond just right-clicking a tile and knowing what it contains. My take on custom scenarios has always been on creating challenges for the player to overcome. It might not appeal to everyone but then again, its largely experimental and no harm if a particular feature doesn't turn out to be charming. Shrugs...