[suggestion] step attacks and races

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by piotras, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I was top 100 with elf vampire until drawspam became more prevalent. We'll see if I can reclaim it :)

(But you're correct about dwarves.)

2. SakuraZaku

SakuraZaku Kobold

@Flaxative Good luck!

I have recently purchased monthly club and decided to stop playing MP until my membership expires because in Campaign mode I open chests at a much faster pace. lol

I hope when I'm back to MP next year (this month for CH Campaign mode and next month for Batman Arkham Origins lol) I'll see you above 1500 with your elf vampire!

Flaxative likes this.
  3. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

That's how it should work right? No guaranteed wins, but interesting fights twisted by luck. In my smoke bomb experiments I get a single wizard loaded with smoke bombs and ember bursts (good AoE with Kindler vs non-wizard teams, but also good vs wizards as it penetrates smoke bomb, and since I'm the one who dictates where smoke bomb goes its much easier to plan ember burst use effectively, as people feel very safe while within smoke bomb). With one Smoke Robe and four Smoke Pins / Ring Of Smoke and 4 traits I get a chance for 1.25 smoke bombs every 2 rounds (while smoke bomb has a duration of 2) so it's not that hard to have it 'on' all the time (especially that for the first 1 or 2 rounds it's good to stockpile them in case of bad luck later and just use cover as you proceed towards VS). This allows me to bring two dwarf step warriors which is a necessity of course :p What also works well in this scenario are bashes, since sooner or later a dwarf wiz will get toughness and will feel safe to approach me hoping to WoW me out of VS, I won't deal damage but at least I can bash him away and disrupt LoS again to earn another point (the idea is not about killing control wizards, but disrupting them and winning by VS advantage). However, taking up bashes is a suicide against other builds, since they are otherwise crap (in MP sense), so I tend to do a typical step/pure damage/block any warrior just in case. But hey, I think I know where you're getting at and I have yet to see a copycat using your build playing well nor have I, I think, played against exactly the same build as yours (down to every item). Also I don't claim that smoke bomb is somehow a perfect counter for it, but if definitely makes things interesting while still allowing to crush other builds while countering for that.

I agree and the bit you quote explains it why. What I tried to say that there are other nice alternatives which would go into top 100 if the dominance of step warriors would be toned down... and that's why this topic was formed in the first place :)

Flaxative likes this.
  4. SakuraZaku

SakuraZaku Kobold

The bit I quoted explains only why dwarf melee classes dominate the high ranks but do not explain why dwarf mages and support priests also dominate.
    That's why I think your idea is good, but not enough for the balancing.

Even by nerfing the card draw mechanism I do not see how other races will have advantages over dwarf mages and support priests of other style.

The only thing I wanted to say in this thread is, dwarves are broken not only in steps, but also all other domains.
    They are just a superior choice for any builds at the moment.
    The proper balancing requires consideration not only in steps but also other more general aspects, such as movements in general (including pushes) and race skills.