[Suggestion] Roguelike Mode

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Vakaz, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

So I had a dream last night where a randomly generated roguelike mode was added to the game. Weird sewer robot nonsense aside, I think this is actually a good idea for long-term interest in singleplayer.

-Start with a party of level 1 characters, and no access to your inventory. A co-op option allows for larger parties and greater difficulties.

-The party advances through randomly generated maps containing randomly generated monsters, potentially with "templates" added to them to increase difficulty. For example, a regular goblin could be a "fire" goblin, a "flying" goblin, or an"elite" goblin. Templates adjust HP, racial moves, draws per turn, and certain cards in a monster's deck. Monster colors could potentially change with templates. Randomly generated names could be fun for bosses ;)

-Similar to the nudie run, characters can only be equipped with items gathered from the current run in this mode. They level up at a standard rate. Only a small amount of retries are available, perhaps with some bonus retries for getting particularly far.

-Once a run is done, any items gathered are transferred to the player's regular inventory.

Thoughts? Obviously this would require a lot of work to implement, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    ArnieBear, Ineptie, PDXTai and 5 others like this.
  2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I suspect this would be right up Farbs' alley. :cool: Whether it's green-lighted is another matter, but I'd love to play it. Co-op or not.

3. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

There could be special rewards too, I wouldn't mess with it otherwise :p

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I've been thinking of making a pseudo-roguelike by making a board with lots of disconnected rooms, each with 3 or 4 random monsters, and have one of your MP chars spawn in a random room. (Very similar to what @tuknir did in MM2 Supplement). The goal would be to see how many consecutive wins you can manage.

5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If it's roguelike, maybe ASCII character skins could be prizes. :)
    (Okay, it's not very tempting for me either.)

Bandreus, Farbs and Flaxative like this.
  6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not gonna lie I'd go bat**** for ASCII art skins.

Farbs and Sir Veza like this.
  7. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I don't know about a fully realized RL-mode, cause ofc that would be a lot of work, and obviously BM isn't the largest developer out there.

But condensing this idea into a simpler, more self-contained endless-dungeon? Heck yeah. Also, this possibly is what Vakaz intended from the very beginning, in which case I'd be all for it.

Oh and ASCII art skins is a totally rad idea which needs to happen regardless of anything else.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.