[Suggestion]Pimp my Chatbox

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by direndai, Dec 18, 2014.

1. direndai

direndai Kobold

Hi guys,

First off, great game! ^^ The first one I payed money for. On the first day. That is how much it impressed me. (you even mention go in the campaign XD). And I can see it will only get better, with the co-op just around the corner (just rumors, not sure if they are true..)

To the topic;
    It would be nice to be able to minimize, resize, move around and mute the chatbox.

One part of the reason why i think this would be a good move is, that the visibility of the board is kinda small if you dont have a big screen. That could also be improved through other means, eg zooming out the board, but greater chatbox manipulation would still be a nice addition.

gg

2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Welcome! The rumors are true. Co-op exists in a beta form already and is slowly being improved as time goes on. As far as the chat window goes, a pop-out chat window is actually quite new, it was added probably about a month ago so what you're seeing is the first generation. It's great having it at all. That said I completely agree with your assessment that the ability to resize it would be a nice upgrade!

Always good to have another CH lover in the fold. Make sure to stop by the gift shop and pick up your welcome basket!

4. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Hey people, the current chatsystem when preparing for and when in coop is a headache. Two or more tabs, too many "drumrolls" to locate the window and keep up, no flow...

[suggestion]
    Can't we settle for some kind of color-coded message system (team, the rest) and multiple send buttons?So you got all communication in the same window, but can send messages only visible to teammates.

5. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I think more chat commands would be great: /team for sending messages to your teammates, /world for the lobby, etc. But then, these have probably been implemented already and I simply don't know about them.

Multiple send buttons would not solve the problem, I think. Would turn the "too many tabs" issue into a "too many buttons" issue.

What I think would work, at least for the in-game-chat, is having a drop-down list in place of the tabs for selecting the chat to display and to send your messages to.

This is much less of a problem in the MP lobby, where more space is available (but then I usually play on high resolutions). Maybe you can revert from a tabs-list to a drop-down list at run-time if you have too many tabs open in the lobby too.

6. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

the option to enlarge the ingame chat would be one thing, but i still like the idea of having everything in the same message window. An additional "team"-send button when you entered a team wouldnt even come close to the mess with the multiple tabs, got to disagree there.

7. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Yes, I can see the utility there. Some games do away with similar solutions (one chat log + tags/color coding for identifying the communitcation channel).

But then you have to consider the log could get really messy. Theoretically, we're talking the world chat, team channel + any individual conversation with single users all going into a single pane, which might be less than optimal.

Anyway, didn't want to dismiss your feedback/idea, just point out potential issues which might arise and offer an alternative approach to the problem.

8. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

No, its totally fine. I dont look at existing solutions and potential problems, thats for the ones at the source, i am just prompting for a change to the better.
    nay-sayers gonna say nay

9. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

This would be exceedingly difficult to entirely unworkable for color blind people. (I only think of this because three of my regular gaming buddies are color blind and we constantly run into problems with games that use color as the only means to distinguish between things.)

Sir Veza likes this.
  10. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

The big picture is the all in one chatbox. Imagine this instead then.

[...]
    Wildarm says: B-But colorblinds can't coop!
    Teammate XY whispers: Let's report wind_wind again.
    [...]
    revolutionary, i know.

11. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

For the Colorblind, I recall some games use shapes/patterns to differentiate different things. Perhaps a small square next to the team chats in the all-in-one chatbox, or different patterns of ///// on the individual chat tabs for when you have too many open at once. What would be ideal for this Cardhunter however, is the ability to resize the chatbox in games and the inventory. Being able to read more of the battle log or shunt the chat somewhere that doesn't cover anything important while setting up a character for co-op would be a feature that would be incredibly useful for many people.