[suggestion] Martial skills

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Squidy, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Actually warriors have access to 4 martial traits:
    Bruiser
    Slasher
    Impaler
    Crusher

I don't know about the others, but when I dress a warrior, I always go for the most trait possible (2 unless I have a major token to spare which is very very rarely the case with a warrior and his weapons consuming the majority of the resources) and the card aside I want the most (Team Run, Parry, Quickness Aura...). I pretty much don't care about the traits now that I have completed all the quests.
    The reason why is because bashing, chopping or penetrating (I leave aside crusher which is the only "general" trait) thematic decks are pretty much inefficient and the traits aren't appealing enough. You allready buffed bash cards but I believe this is isn't enough. You rarely hit two targets in PvP with a chop and penetrating attacks, setting aside Impaling Stab, are pretty weak.

Now if you still plan on keeping the harness change, what about buffing Impaler? Plus two damages instead of one seem a minimum while 3 may seem overpowered. So what about two damages and maybe something else like hard to block?
    Slasher and Bruiser can use a buff too in the process. Like maybe the stun part someone suggested for Bruiser.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The thing about buffing those trait cards is that whenever they're relevant, they're basically too good. A trait that has no negative effect, and limited to no positive effect—a card that only thins your deck—is approximately bronze quality on its own. We're aware, however, that most martial skill items are boring and don't represent real choices, and this is an issue we have plans to fix in the future. (We don't intend to do it by editing existing cards or items.)

3. Fry_The_Guy

Fry_The_Guy Lizardman Priest

Is the unsaid part of your statement that you think bash, chop, and penetrating cards should be good enough on their own that you could use them in competitive builds without relying on traits to make them useful?

Squidy likes this.
  4. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I think what you're looking for is Slicer, Squidy.

What I hope Flax means by this is a card called Slasher that is like Crusher but for slashing damage and another called Poker for piercing damage. (Names subject to change, of course)

How about another that gives all slashing damage the ability to remove the oldest armor card? Something like Sunder.

Squidy likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm not promising cards, I'm just saying that buffing these existing bronze cards is not ... in the cards, as it were.

Also, I think chops aren't meant to be competitive in PvP; they appear to be a campaign tool.

All I'm saying is that we hope to fix the issues expressed in the OP over time and not with direct buffs to existing trait cards. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

6. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

I agree Squidy, it's a shame that martial skills are all about deck thinning. I've mentioned something along these lines last year (sorry for shameless self-promotion). The ideas at the time was to add halt to bashing attacks, bleeding to stabs and 'double-bladed' attack to chops, i.e. attack twice on a single target, even if the first attack is blocked. Hacks etc. should be good straight from the box, but all other attack like bashes, slices and stabs should be better IF situational requirements are met.

I wish I new that before I purchased the Bash Bros MP starter pack ;)

7. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I know you didn't mean that. I was just hoping something like what I mentioned was part of the solution. You were very clear. I just assumed since you said the existing cards wouldn't change, there had to be new ones eventually! :cool:

@piotras - Those are cool ideas. I hadn't seen them before.

piotras likes this.
  8. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

I had this same thought; Now that there's a Crusher for Crushing damage, there should also be a Slasher fo slashing damage and Piercer for piercing damage.