[Suggestion] Laser whip upgrade?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Soltis, Jul 16, 2015.

1. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

I already gave my arguments for why it's minimally better, if at all :)

I'm against just damage-upping things to make them better as a rule, and penetrating, while somewhat thematically appropriate, keeps it being a fairly generic 'good' attack.

Still, penetrating, trip, whatever, that'd basically even it out more to what we expect.

Hard to Block still seems underwhelming, but it definitely fits thematically.

karadoc likes this.
  2. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I've never even put Laser Whip in my deck, but the times I got it through a Laser Block or Push the Button I often find myself cursing as I get it due to the range restriction, wishing I'd have gotten a regular Laser Strike instead. It doesn't seem right that when getting an Emerald Quality card, you wish you'd gotten a Silver one instead.

I'm not sure why it even is so high quality, most Emerald cards are either just very good just because they deal so much damage, like Pulverizing Bludgeon, or they have the potential to be very powerful if used at the right time, like Anvil Strike, Lava Pool or Accelerate Time. Half the time I don't even get to use Laser Whip when I draw it, and then when I do use it there's the chance it explodes in my face or causes a meltdown which due to the range restriction doesn't even hit my target.

Getting rid of its range restriction seems like a no-no, because that's what makes the card interesting, but I do like the idea of it having a Halting effect, that actually combines really well with the card, since then the enemy can't attack you unless it has stabs.

Some other idea I had was that Laser Whip could steal an enemy boost or assist attachment in addition to dealing damage, constricting the whip around the enemy attachment and taking it for yourself in a way. Still, that is a lot more situational than adding Halt, but it'd sure feel nice to Laser Whip a Retaliatory Mutation off a Cunning Mutant. :p

Christofff and DunDunDun like this.
  3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Umm. Because it's emerald green and looks really cool? Just a guess. I don't see it either.

karadoc likes this.
  4. RedPower

RedPower Kobold

5. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I agree that laser whip should do something special. As it is, I'd generally prefer to just have Impaling Stab in my hand instead. (The stab has slightly less damage, but is more versatile.)

The Laser Whip card looks cool, and I like the idea of it being range 2 only; but it just isn't even close to being good enough for an emerald card, in my view.

Any of the suggestions in this thread would be an improvement. Hard to block / discard a random attack card / discard a random card / halt / push / ... etc. It could even have it's damage decreased if need be to counter-balance a more powerful side effect such as halt or discard.

DunDunDun likes this.
  6. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I think the best suggestion so far is to add Hard to Block. Honestly, at this point it just deals so much damage at range 2 that if you add any more damage or make it penetrating, it would be just too good for a single attack, and utterly useless against a Parry or any other block for that matter.

Giving it a card discard effect would be ridiculous in my opinion, because it already packs a big punch at range 2. It doesn't really make sense thematically.

If Hard to Block 2, Hard to Block 3, or Hard to Block 4 was added, Laser Whip would be one of those cards that you won't hate parries or Defender's Blocks for. Sure, Cushioning Armor would still be an issue, but at least those hidden parries will be less of a concern. Additionally, it would make great sense thematically (how do you parry a whip that can melt your sword?) and contextually (there are few cards with Hard to Block in play at the moment).

Adding Hard to Block would also make Flanking Move + All-out Attack + Laser Whip builds interesting. Flanking Move would have more use on warriors than just stealing first move (since you can't really flank an opponent you're vis-a-vis with, with it. It's also good for those support characters.

Kalin likes this.
  7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

How do you parry any laser attack? ;)

8. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Mad skillz. Reflective shield coating. Magic weaponry. Magic. Throwing a halfling at it.

Seems like there's options..

9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Any good mirror will work.

PDXTai, Drakkan and Flaxative like this.
  10. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

THis is an interesting point, because despite me not putting laser whip in any build on purpose, i still feel like i hit the jackpot when i get it this way, relative to the other laser stuff. It's still (among) the best from that tier.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  11. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

I rather like Soltis' suggestion of the pulling the enemy towards you.
    A simple barge at range 2 would probably be overpowered, but this way would have one specific use of bringing them closer, making it useful against stabbers and other just staying out of reach. and would add a much needed boost to it. Any time I've seen it, I'm pretty sure it's been due to laser block or push the button, and personally I drop it a lot of time off my priest to keep mediocre cards.

Edit: The idea also fits rather well with a whip.

Vholes likes this.
  12. defrb

defrb Kobold

i dont have any troubles with the power of the whip, only the green color looks weird, would rather think copper :D
    "whip" ---> drain battery--->> bye bye cool lasers!

fun fact, how about a whip in the smoke, you can never attack wright>? :DD good stuff

I did expect that laserwhip did damage over two squares, so you could hit 2 guys with 1 whip, that would be green, now its more like a copper attack+ the chance to draw a bad trait :/

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  13. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

So, summing up the suggestions I've heard here and in-game [where the card gets brought up regularly for being underwhelming]:

1: Pull enemies to you. It's unique [and a great counterpoint to bash cards], it plays off the positioning that is key to this game, and it keeps the malfunctions in play, making it quite suitable for a laser-based card.

2: Push enemies away from you. Essentially a 2-range bash card. A bit weird in concept for a whip, but cool in its effects on gameplay.

3: Apply Halt to enemies, based on the concept of whipping their feet out from under them. [My idea :) ]

4: Discard enemy's oldest attack card, based on the traditional tabletop use of whips to disarm enemies. Probably the best option in thematic terms, though not the most interesting option in this list in gameplay effects.

5: Penetrating- doesn't really quite make sense, at least in comparison to the next suggestion, and is overdone on cards anyway. Still, would bring the card up to spec.

6: Hard to Block 2 + a damage increase. Simple, but effective. A bit bland, though.

7: Multi-targeting, allowing it to essentially act as a two-range chop.. This adds a unique vibe to the card, has good balancing with the non-adjacent targeting element, and has some good tactical elements in needing to get two enemies both exactly two squares away from you, to make the card most effective.

8: Remove the range limitation and turn the card into a Linear 2 card. A bit awkward and removes the one existing unique element the card already has. Kinda weird thematically for a whip, as well. Does give warriors a linear melee attack though, which is pretty cool.

9: Ignore immunities. A bit out there in trying to rationalize it, but kinda a cool 'screw your nimbus/forcefield' effect. Damage'd still be silver/gold tier, and in most cases its just a normal card, but it some cases, it's got a cool little trick to it that brings it up to par. Kinda makes it feel more like a Silver/Gold Rare card than an emerald though.

Did I miss any? Let me know!

Which is your favorite?
    I personally like 7 most [though I feel 1 would be the best implementation].
    However, 5 and 6 aside, I find them all rather interesting. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Christofff likes this.
  14. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

10. Range 3 with minimal damage and guaranteed malfunction
    11. Increasing / Decreasing damage with distance 1 or 2
    12. Shake loose / Steal one boost attachement
    13. No malfunctions (maniafig wished for that indirectly)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  15. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I'd say the Pull enemies to you one is the most interesting of the bunch, I'd really like to see it implemented.

Although, it that ever happened Laser Whip's damage would probably need a nerf.

16. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Well that would kill laserwhip for builds that like to maintain range 2. Its not always desireable to pull a character in. That said, there isnt even a pull equivalent to "slide back" yet.

17. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

Theses are interesting. I think I want to see a Range increase to include 3. With nothing else.

Though on the Laser front. An idea to bring them all up a little, in consistency and playability, would be replace Major Erratic Damage with Minor Erratic Damage and bump the damage up by 3.

18. Fry

Fry Ogre

Have you not watched any Star Wars movie ever? :p

Probably too much of a pain to implement (and not that thematic), but mechanically it might be funny if Laser Whip applied malfunctions to the target rather than the wielder.

Robauke likes this.
  19. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Thats a nice spin on the "being out of range for potential malfunctions"

timeracers likes this.
  20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Or read the webcomic?

Inkfingers, Fry and Pawndawan like this.