[Suggestion]Fog of War

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by smeata, Oct 8, 2013.

1. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

I think a fog of war type mechanic could be a good addition to some levels/quests. Maybe you just know the number of enemies you will be facing but you actually have to see them on the map before you know what/where they are.

2. progammer

progammer Ogre

It does make sense in games like Advance Wars, but for me it doesnt make sense in this one. I've seen the argument before. Basically the game imitate a real boardgame named Card Hunter. A board game is unlikely to have fog of war mechanics and requires all pieces be visible on board for all party involved. The only things you could hide are cards. Even trap cards mechanics has to be activated in hands in order to make sense. See: Reactive Trip

3. Multimuerte

Multimuerte Mushroom Warrior

Makes sense but... you can just add a new Arcane or Divine card named Deep Fog which works like that Acid Spry I so much hate. It makes anybody inside that Fog untargeteable but cannot target anybodyelese.

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

That's Smoke Bomb, which is also great for cleansing lava, acid, etc.

5. MagicLance

MagicLance Mushroom Warrior

Interesting but as stated not good for a board game thats based on being able to be played in RL.
    Totally hiding characters will not work but how about another sort of mechanic.
    For this there could be permanent or at least long lasting Fog tiles already on the board.
    Or better be a Board totally or mostly in Fog (no canceling/changing it with other terrain changing cards) where as this fog acts as follow.
    Each Character (group) gets 1/2 the movement per turn rounded up.
    You can not target anyone over 2 fields away without a penalty to hitting. +1 per field over 2.
    That would make for interesting tactics and chances.
    How about that?

6. Sky2hawk

Sky2hawk Kobold

I don't see it being impossible. Thought perhaps it should only be available in custom games?

I think you would need to be allowed to play the GM if this is going to be implemented though, where you have a neat little UI for stored monsters that have not yet been seen.

A system you could use is that you can place "Ghost" miniatures where they are supposed to be, that only the gm can see. And when the players find them, well then you place it down there. For special effects like a Smoke Bomb, like mentioned in the thread. Some basic animation might be needed on the screen?