[Suggestion] Fix the Randimar's generation program!

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Ector, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Ector

Ector Hydra

I guess we can all agree that Randimar's shop works as the best hope of getting the good items we don't have. Getting legendaries is difficult - and it should be! But if a player has no time for extensive grinding, he always has a hope to find something good at Randimar's, once a week.

Now please tell me, what's the sense in having the assortment generation program with so varied number of epic and legendary items? Sometimes Randimar brings 4-5 legendaries, sometimes none. I've seen 13 epics once, and I guess that's not the maximum possible number. But this week I've got only four epics, and not a single legendary item, and I guess this is also not the possible minimum. Looks like it's possible to get NO epics and legendaries at all.

What's the sense of such broad distribution of luck? You want some people to be unable to buy all Randimar's goodies, and the other people to leave the game from desperation? When a player opens an epic chest, he gets at least one epic item guaranteed. Why he cannot have a right to buy at least one legendary guaranteed at least once a week? You're so afraid of making Cardhunter a "pay to win" game? But Randimar is selling for the gold, not for the pizza, and it's quite possible to farm 2500 gold per week; plus we all know that some legendaries aren't worth buying.

Let me enlighten you a bit. "Pay to win" is a surely a dead sentence for a game, but "grind to win" is almost the same. Not everybody can afford paying a lot of money, but not everybody can afford spending a lot of hours farming or playing PvP as well. Currently the grinding is the only way of getting something good, as long as Randimar is so flawed. And, believe me, you can lose the players for the "grind to win" as well as for "pay to win", or even faster.

Holy crap, I'm on the verge on leaving the game myself, despite being the proud owner of 52 legendaries, most of which I've bought from Randimar's store. Two weeks ago I've got only Porior's Nimble Mace from Randimar and bought it, though it clearly should be tokenless to justify the legendary status (but the bashes are overcosted, which is a theme of my separate thread). Last week I've got - guess what? - another copy of the same mace. This week I've got no legendaries at all! Tell me, is there any hope to get something decent now? I'm not a big fan of PvP, and I hate grinding. Other games reward me more for my time than almost nonexistant chance of farming something good. All I did the last month is farmed the Loot Fairy and hoped to buy something from Randimar. I like this game, but I feel completely stuck and unable to improve, and that's a sign to leave.

Here comes the suggestion. Let the Randimar have at least 2 legendaries each week and, say, at least 8 epics. This will not cause any problems, since some players already have much better stuff than the others; on the contrary, this will solve the newbies' problem of having no good items. This will motivate the "free players" to farm and the "rich players" to pay. Most importantly, this will bring a hope to stay in the game.

2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I'm not sure on those numbers, but I think Randimar should definitely have at least 1 Legendary a week... it is kind of silly to not see one for a few weeks in a row.

3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

@Lord Feleran came up with this statistical explanation of how Randimar's item rarity is determined. I've gone a few weeks without any legendaries myself. It's all RNG based. Everyone has the same chance, but different results. I can attest that grinding is no guarantee of success in the short term either. If I keep at it, I should find everything before the earth crashes into the sun. Give or take an hour.

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I've seen 1 legendary item total over the last 5 Randimars. But I have the same probability as everyone else and some week it'll show up with a fistful of legendaries for me. So it's not a big deal for me, it all evens out in the end. I'll just use these weeks to store up my gold to buy when the legendaries arrive.

5. Stexe

Yes, but wouldn't it be a lot more rewarding if it had a Legendary or two every week guaranteed? The low probability of a specific Legendary or Epic coming up seems a bit lame.

It would be the same probability for everyone else except you wouldn't go weeks without seeing a Legendary.

6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I have no problem with guaranteeing a legendary weekly, but I don't know that I would call it rewarding. It would just be how a certain game feature is set up. I'm just not one that needs things to always come out "favorably" for me to consider it a good set up. If we're talking about rewarding, I would actually find it more rewarding to have no legendaries for 4 weeks and then get a week that has one I really want, than to have guaranteed legendaries each week and then get one I really want.

Flaxative likes this.
  7. Stexe

I mean rewarding in that it increases your odds of getting something good, since by forcing a Legendary or two to appear it would dramatically increase the odds.

8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well in that case the new cheat code on the test server would be more rewarding! ;)

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  9. Ector

Ector Hydra

Pardon for being impolite, but your comment looks like the "guaranteed way to win on roulette" that's used to lure simpletons: just double your stakes every time until you win :) In reality, though, their money will end much sooner than they win.
    Don't you understand the basics of theory of probability? You have the same chance of getting something good every week, and that chance doesn't depend on your previous results! If you didn't get anything good for a month, you may still get nothing again and again. And it will not "even out in the end", unless you mean a death, of course. It will really even out all people in the end, but I'd like to get something good just a bit earlier :)

10. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Ector, what you're referring to is is called the gambler's fallacy and I'm well aware of it. The fallacy if applied to Randimar would be that if I said that because I have had bad weeks that I have to have a better chance at a good week coming up. Such a statement is fallacious but not what I said. What can be said within the theory of probabilities is that if there are random results, over an extended period of time the results will average out to a given mark and this is reliable. Thus given enough time Randimar will offer good weeks and bad weeks (not causally, just simply). Thus if you roll 5 dice repeatedly you'll eventually get five 6's, not because you rolled five 1's at some point, but because given enough occurrences of a random event it will happen. Therefore:

11. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

The worst thing about Randimar's in my opinion is that it adds a huge amount of luck to the game. Not because someone can have a bad streak of legendaries in Randimar's, because that can happen to anyone. The problem for me is that it heaviliy rewards the luckier players who had the possibility to buy at Randis the op items we all know (and that it's not the goal of this thread to discuss it again). So, to the luck factor of the game itself (the rolls, the ww, etc.) we have to add a much more significant luck factor with Randimar's, because as we all know, a battle between someone who bought a VP at Randimar's and someone who didn't have that chance is unfair from the beggining. Of course that the unluckier player can still win by outskilling the luckier one, but that doesn't remove the fact that Randimar's is an unfair system.

12. Ector

Ector Hydra

This is working only because 1/6 is large enough chance, and you can roll as many times as you want.
    Now let's take d100 and say that a chance of getting a good legendary at Randimar's store is roughly 3%. If you will roll the dice long enough, you will eventually get 98+ on d100, but if you roll the dice once a week, this may take years.

13. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Yeah, if you only rely on Randimar's, getting every item is supposed to take years.

Scarponi likes this.
  14. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The dice are rolled 59 times per week, once per item. If the chance is 3%, the average number of legendary items should be 1.77 per week. Odds are you will get at least one legendary, but the more you have, the smaller the chance it will be something you want. Luck (random chance) plays a huge factor in when you will see what. It's what this game is based upon, and not everyone will like it.

hatchhermit likes this.
  15. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Excuse me? How is this any different from the random MP and SP reward chests? Your luck in getting OP items from them has the exact same effect as it does in Randimar's. The shop only adds a few chances every week of getting something good or bad. It's just the equivalent of winning a few more MP battles or completing a few more SP adventures that week (with the difference of you seeing what the "chest" contains beforehand). There's no special luck that applies only in Randimar's. The shop does not add any more luck to the game than the basic reward system and thus the foundation of the game already has.

hatchhermit, Squidy and Sir Veza like this.
  16. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Well, first, this thread is about Randimar's, not the chests. Secondly, Randimar's is the easiest way to get some legendaries and epics you want, much easier than farming, that's what makes Randimar's a different issue. So, given that you don't have to do anything to get stuff from the shop, it should be a bit more equal to everyone imo. We don't have to agree on the matter, that's just how I feel about it.

Bandreus likes this.
  17. Ector

Ector Hydra

We're talking about the Randimar's store here, aren't we?

18. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

How is it much easier to get legendaries and epics from Randimar's than farming? What makes it much easier?
    How does one get the gold to buy 500 and 2,500 gp items?

19. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Loot fairy twice a day takes you very little time and you can get a lot of gold from there weekly, and you also can do the level 6 adventures if you are still short. And when I said "easier" I meant that you don't have to do anything actively, Randimar's offers a (different) number of epics and legendaries every week guranteed without you having to do anything for it. For example, some players that were inactive for a long period of time (months) told me when they came back that they the time when they didn't play, they checked for Randimar's anyway to see what was in it every week. Why? Because it's easy and it doesn't cost you any amount of time.
    Anyway, feel free to have the last word on this debate, I won't continue because I think it isn't the original intention of this thread.

20. Ector

Ector Hydra

The question isn't what is "easier". They are completely different, and they should be. The chests are your rewards for your time and efforts, and their quantity isn't limited. The more time you devote to the game, the more chests you get. That's why the chests' contents should be completely random, or else the game will become "grind to win". Randimar's store is NOT a reward for anything; it's just a place of hope for the people with no time to grind or for the unlucky people who got nothing from their chests. That's why it should NOT be as random as the chests. Every player should have a chance to get some Legendaries, at least once a week.

Jacques likes this.