[Suggestion] Dim the Cone targeting preview for everything but the forward arc

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Sir Knight, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

So the new targeting preview when you mouseover an Attack card with a Cone shape is somewhat confusing. It's a solid square:

http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/aoe-effects-coming-up-with-wrong-shape-in-mp.1974

Jon said:
    That's because it's inevitable that "a cone drawn on a grid and rotated around its base tile" will look like a solid square. Four quadrants make a whole.

Previous visual:
    • Pro, you could tell the shape of the Cone Attack (from its display in your forward arc) and interpret for the other directions.
    • Con, that was a lot of mental effort (and if you were facing a wall then you'd get no visual).
    Current visual:
    • Pro, I guess it's obvious how far out the Cone could hit.
    • Con, new players are tricked into thinking you WILL hit all highlighted locations.
    • Con, if you want to understand the shape, you have to mentally subtract squares WITHOUT knowing what you're subtracting. That's even more effort.
    I suggest that the forward arc be displayed as normal (bright yellow), but all other sections be displayed in a dimmed yellow. This would be akin to the bright blue and dark blue for Move cards. Thus, you could see the shape of the Cone (to do mental rotation) and still get an understanding of how far out the Cone could hit.

(Yes, I know that anyone can skip this and calculate based on "three squares, then five, then . . . " up to the card's Range value. I'm talking about the visual.)

2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

oh, after activating the cone attack...you can still mouse-over the orientation arrows to get the forward arc for the respective orientations. That's part of the new stuff that went in 2.19. Its a great improvement, imo :)