[Suggestion] Custom maps for fun and profit

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Kalin, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Two things I keep seeing people ask for: new content and ways to earn pizza in game. So why not combine them?

Custom scenarios are great for producing new content, especially since the players are doing nearly all the work. But it's really cumbersome to play them; only people who visit the forums know about them, and even if you know which one you want, it can be very hard to find it (I tried and tried to find the original post with the Monkey Panic map but couldn't).

What if players could pay some pizza to upload their custom maps to the server? The custom game menu could list all the maps uploaded, sorted by creator and level. The devs would playtest each one first to make sure it's winnable, not offensive, and to set the level. Players could then unlock these maps by paying a tiny fee in pizza, and once unlocked they can play the map all they want, getting a 2 item chest each time they beat it (this is why we need devs to set the level). And half the unlock fee would be given to the creator to encourage them to make more maps.

How much pizza would this cost? I'd like to make it cheap to encourage lots of people to use it, so what about 10 pizza to upload and 2 to unlock?

Problem: This allows transfer of pizza between accounts, and because Gary gives every account 150 free pizza, some people will probably try to abuse it. But I think anyone who can create a bot good enough to get all the free pizza would probably get better results using those bots to grind MP.

2. kogi

kogi Ogre

I have being mulling this idea from a different angle. Club members get their own continent. Where they can host their own custom campaigns. These campaigns would then cost a nominal fee in gold or pizza to play. In theory better maps will get lots of play. So. Creators get rewarded. In theory anyway