[Suggestion] Buff the worst legendaries by changing their cards

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Magic Elves, May 14, 2016.

1. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

If I remember correctly, one of the goals of BM for legendaries was to not make them stronger, but more unique and/or complex. Of course, some legendaries (looking at you, base set) are not only really bad, but also rather boring. My idea is to update the cards on them to make them not necessarily better, but different from the items we already have, making them at worst niche instead of a disappointment. As long as the changes are for the better, people shouldn't mind the items they have getting a boost, and if people get it from chests they won't be complaining about bad legendaries.

Potential candidates for changes, and ways they could be made better. (list subject to change):

• Pretty much any legendary weapon with Perforating Strike, barring The Perforator. My fix would be to start by lowering the value of Perforating Strike from Bronze+ to Bronze= on weapons, then either adjust the other cards to bring it up to the previous level while focusing on its other qualities if needed, or leave it at its lower level so it can compete with lower powered items. (Bohemian Ear Spoon, looking at you)
    • Twin Heals drags a lot of legendaries down, especially with Triple Heals being a superior alternative. My fix would be to replace Twin Heals entirely with Triple Heals, with possibly an exception for tokenless items. This would mean that Ring Of Bifurcated Healing (or Ring of Trifurcated Healing if changed) would be a duplicate of Yochxti's Sacred Bundle, but being the same item is better than being a strictly worse version in my opinion.
    • Nok's Squirming Shroud. There are better and cheaper divine items with two Mind Worm, there are better and cheaper divine items with Soothing Darkness. My fix is to just go all in and replace the Soothing Darkness with a third Mind Worm, in case anyone really really hates opponents holding cards in their hand for some reason.

If you're suggesting items for the list, I'm really looking for legendaries that are both NON-UNIQUE and NOT THAT GREAT. As examples for ones I'm not interested in, Relic Of St. Darqar isn't great but is unique, and Avakira's Cup isn't unique but is pretty good. Discussion and ideas on how to fix are always welcome!

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I like this idea, but it can't fix the issue completely. That's because items like Jornin's Figurine exist - they have an odd collection of cards that you really can't make "better" despite it being non-unique and not that great.

One partial fix for divine items would be to change Twin Heals. It's currently very unwanted, due to the existence of Triple Heals. You can't just change all Twin Heals into Triple Heals across the board, though, because items like Ring Of Bifurcated Healing would become identical to existing items.

3. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

The potential problem with changing Twin Heals into Triple Heals is the large amount of tokenless items you're giving a rather good healing card to, but that could be dealt with on a case-by-case basis if a problem, and on a whole sounds like a good start. Ring of Bifurcated Healing is completely inferior to Yochxti's Sacred Bundle, so in this case I'd actually advocate for turning the Ring of Bifurcated Healing into a Ring of Trifurcated Healing and just have two legendary items with Triple Heals instead of having one that's not bad and one that is very, very bad. There's really no reason to have a legendary that's a complete disappointment to get.

4. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

yay @ thread

Yeah, (for others' sake here on the forum,) in chat earlier, general consensus was that The Perforator gets "unique/interesting" status because pretty much any item with all the same card (and I'd argue for the six-card items, even five of them being the same,) kind of get auto-unique/interesting status. (I half-joked that even Weak Strike x6 would be. ha ha .. oh, got a name for it now: The Irritator.) MElves agreed with the idea that Perforating Strike isn't a bad card in and of itself -- 5 damage that skips armor -- but that its cost just seems too high for what it does. Therefore, I agree, taking down the level a tad might help things. What was it, if Perf Strike became Bronze- instead of the current Bronze+, Woodhome's Wound would become level 6 tokenless? All of a sudden, it just screams, watch out, trogs! $:^ P (However, Bronze= is probably more in line with Penetrating Cut being Paper+ and Penetrating Lunge being Bronze+ ... and oh wow, Perf being Bronze= would drop The Perforator from 12-(minortoken)(minortoken) to 6-0, meaning it wouldn't just be "interesting but bad" but rather "interesting and super good" -- which again, I understand the point of this thread is to just help legendaries not be a combination of boring *and* bad. $:^ ] heheh) ...... this actually surprises me to see MElves hit Ring of Bifurcated Healing since yes, it's inferior to another, but there's no guarantee you'll have that other, and the 3x makes it unique...

When I got Nok's the other day, I've already told some ppl, my face just went $P^ ,
    Like .. it's a shroud, therefore shrouding in darkness? .. it just seems unthemed and weak and weird-not-in-a-good-way.

I'd argue that Jornin's Figurine is interesting. All three cards heal, but they're very different healing cards in what they do and how they do it.

Magic Elves likes this.
  5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Wrong, Perforator goes from 12 (24 value) to 9 (18 value).

ParodyKnaveBob and Magic Elves like this.
  6. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

It's unique in that it has 3x of a card I'd honestly rather just see replaced with triple heals. Bifurcated Healing stands out in that it's not just bad, but COMPLETELY INFERIOR, and that's something a legendary really should not be, especially for an item with the same level.

7. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Thank you. Not sure where I got that. In fact, I was thinking we'd said (minortoken) in chat, but I did a quick calc and got the numbers wrong. Maybe I just subtracted 6 instead of 6/2. Heh. $:^ ] *CRUNCH* "The world may never know."

degensquared likes this.
  8. Potatus

Potatus Orc Soldier

I have another example of a horrible legendary

Eye Of Wicna is completely worse than other x2 flash flood items(most of the x2 flash flood items are EPIC).
    If Whirlwind was changed to TK it would make it a TOP-TIER flash flood item.
    Right now it's the weakest of the flash flood items.

9. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

ParodyKnaveBob and Potatus like this.
  10. Potatus

Potatus Orc Soldier

@Deepweed well yeah..it is strong, it's a legendary, but I chose TK mostly because it was a bronze/rare card :p.

11. DupleX

DupleX Champion of Cardhuntria

12. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  13. Potatus

Potatus Orc Soldier

@DupleX Hand Of Wicna is not at the bottom of the pit in term of flash flood items, not the best, but not the worst.
    While Eye Of Wicna is just at the bottom of hell :confused:.

14. DupleX

DupleX Champion of Cardhuntria

Whoops! misread the original post :confused:

Potatus likes this.
  15. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I'm not trying to make Legendaries better than anything else, but I am trying to make them not the worst. I'm kinda thinking changing it to either a tokenless with 1 flood and 2 other semi-good cards, or a major token with 2 flood and a third gold card? There are no tokenless Flash Flood items as a holdover from back when it was Wall of Stone, so if it wasn't too strong it could be interesting.

16. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Another issue with this is that if you change cards on items you can potentially change the resulting rarity. That means you have to replace rare cards with rare cards, and as such it can be very limiting. Both of your ideas for Eye Of Wicna are not feasible because of this, unless you're thinking Flash Flood + 2x Stone Spikes which is so out of theme. Perhaps it's worth a shot in AA instead?

17. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Yea, that's a problem, but considering the devs haven't changed rarities before, I'm trying to stick with what's reasonable. As for theme, I'm a bit confused by what you're trying to say? Is it the theme of the current item, or something about the name I'm not catching.

18. Potatus

Potatus Orc Soldier

@Magic Elves maybe Wicna is like a water god and all his body members has special water ability?
    For the Whirlwind maybe it represent a Hurricane?
    As for my idea the eye could use telekinesis ability (like hypnotising a person) + TK is a bronze rare.

19. Pyrious

Pyrious Hydra

Please don't ruin Nok's Squirming Shroud... I'm using it. Thank you.

(there's only one other minor token divine item with 2 Mind Worms, and it doesn't have Soothing Darkness)

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  20. Potatus

Potatus Orc Soldier

Umm what?!