[suggestion] addition of permanent terrain attachments for natural obstacles.

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Aldones, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I'm beginning to think that it would be extremely helpful to add a few more terrain types to the terrain "layer" of the map editor.

So far we've got Blocked, Difficult, Open, Victory, and Impassable. This allows a scenerio creator to work within some interesting limitations. for instance, I'm not sure what I'd do if I wanted to make a bunch of clustered victory squares, but also have them be difficult. Apparently victory is only Open by design.
    That's only a minor issue I have, however, and what really stands out to me is that I can't lay down permanent lava terrain, smoke (blocks sight, can enter), or anything that might be considered a terrain attachment effect, but made into a permanent fixture of the map's environment.
    This definitely forces the novelty of terrain attachment spells to stand out, but at the expense of some really interesting combat arenas.

For some practical examples:
    -I'd like to be able to designate my victory points as damaging terrain. Stand in them to gain points for as long as you dare.
    -Difficult arena spikes would be much more interesting if they were actually functioning like Stone Spikes.
    -Volcano maps could actually have lava terrain, swamps could have acid pools, etc.
    -Any sort of simulated fire could be enhanced with a lot of smoke terrain.

Basically, I think most of my desires here would be solved by allowing me to designate terrain as it is now, and then go back over it with what amounts to permanent terrain doodad attachments afterwards. This would allow me to make any sort of combinations, like difficult lava, victory on spiked terrain, water that is covered with smoke in some places, and so-on.
    I believe this to be a lower priority suggestion, but ultimately the quantity of novel and exciting new map types would certainly reward the effort (and probably also lure a few more players into exploring the map editor?).

2. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

It might be interesting to have team specific victory points. For example, if there was a victory square right in the middle of the players starting position, but players couldn't gain points from controlling it; Instead, they have to try to protect it, and if the opposing team breaks the line and reaches that spot they could gain points and win

3. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Yes! Definitely.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

YES!!
    Great specific examples, I want them all.