[SP Scenario] Nursery Crimes

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Bard of Prey, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

Hi all,

I've nearly completed my first custom scenario, but would very much like some more playtesting and feedback before I submit it.

Backstory: You play a young dragon who has just laid her first clutch of eggs. An abandoned dwarven hall carved into an extinct volcano seemed the perfect place to establish a lair... but those accursed, meddling dwarves just won't leave you in peace. They've sent an invasion force to wipe out the 'evil dragon nest' at any cost. Worst of all, they managed to sneak in a mage who actually has some small amount of skill. Just as you finish arranging your modest hoard in your private chamber, the dwarves strike.

Lava bursts from the walls and the floors, cutting you off from the nursery and forcing you to watch, (almost) helpless as the dwarves and their mindless mechanical minions do their utmost to slaughter your children and smash the unhatched eggs. Protect you babies. Preserve your eggs. Punish the interlopers.

Nursery Crimes2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Quick advice: include a screenshot of your scenario! It makes folks much more likely to give it a shot. Cheers!

3. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

Yeah... I actually tried that. For some reason I just can't convince this laptop to do a screenshot. :oops:

4. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

i am using a laptop at i create screen-shots just fine.

5. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

If your OS is misbehaving and not creating screenshots via Alt-Printscreen (or however a mac might do it), you can just use the in-game console command "screenshot".
    So:

1. Press F1 to open the commandline - sometimes laptops require you to hold an Fn modifier key to use the function keys
    2. Type toggleui if you would like to hide the user interface. This can be helpful for taking screenshots in editor or in battle
    3. Type screenshot
    4. The game should pause for a moment then ask you where you'd like to save your screenshot. Save it somewhere, and you're done!

Sir Veza likes this.
  6. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

Yeah. It's my own stupidity that's the problem. :)

I've managed to get the screenshot. Now I'm just sorting out how to insert it instead of just attaching it...

<Edit: Farbs - Thanks. That might work better anyway. I'm not very happy with the system shot I was able to get>

7. BlackVoidDeath

you will figure it out... its easy :p

8. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

Got it. Thanks guys. :)

9. BlackVoidDeath

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Cool map! I'm going to try it out :)

Bard of Prey likes this.
  11. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

My main concern at this point is that it may now be too hard. Same setup with one less golem seemed a bit easy... but that third golem might have just tipped it over the edge.

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I won it on my first try without losing any of my babies.

Could you change the gate tile to lava? Right now it looks like Blocked terrain because of the black border.

13. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

Hmm. I could do that.

Any thoughts on whether you got a lucky draw or if it needs beefing up? What strategy did you use?

I noticed that there was an unanticipated option to Fly the babies to safety... but it's risky, given that the dwarves only need 4 VP. How did you beat it?

14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Didn't seem lucky. I saved my breaths so I could start each round with one, and moved two babies to hold the first golem in range of the breaths.

Afterward I thought of flying the babies to safety, but that's a mistake because you need them to hold the victory squares.

15. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

That's pretty much exactly how you should do it. Possible that I may need to beef it up again though. At 2 golems, I had the same result. With 3 it was getting harder, and I just couldn't get the job done before the dwarves got 4 vp.

How hard are MM scenarios expected to be? I don't want to make it nigh-impossible.

16. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Maybe Gary was stupider than normal for me; he only sent the priest to try to take the VS, and I had two babies in place so he never got any points.

17. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

He does get a bit dumb that way. Part of the reason I added the extra golem was that he refused to rush the dwarf warriors towards the babies/vp... so I was able to hold them for at least 4 turns.

18. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

New and improved version. Seems quite a bit harder so far.

Nursery Crimes2.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hi @Bard of Prey - sorry it's taken me so long to get to this - I like the idea of using the trapped dragon. Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy this scenario all that much. I laid down some rockfalls early, and got a bunch of VP while the enemies inched forward (a lot of me clicking Pass and waiting for them to do things). Also, Xanth's deck is mostly melee and armor, with a tiny smattering of ranged attacks, so often you're just discarding 5 cards/turn, which is a bit fiddly. Not sure there's a better way to do this scenario, just wanted to give you my feedback. Sweet map for sure, and it's not a cakewalk.

20. BigA

BigA Kobold

I like the concept, but the dragon's deck does not lend itself well to the execution. Only 2 cards in its deck (the acid breath and rockfall) are even situationally useful, and discarding 5 cards a turn is not fun. Add to that the dwarven wizard having immunity to electricity when she draws her resilient hide and you have a recipe for frustration.