Some issues with forum features

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir Knight, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I know I've complained about how these forums are set up before (e.g., hyperlinks are almost indistinguishable from regular text), but the beta suggests one feature will become a bigger and bigger problem: search.

I now know there's a card called All Out Attack. Say one day I find a bug with it. I search for "All Out Attack" and the forums tell me:
    That's . . . bad. I see every post with "Attack" in it.

Trying the same for Hard To Pin Down gets funny results: the forum SAYS it throws away "To, Pin" but then returns results with the whole phrase highlighted. So I guess it's searching for the limited selection of words, but then highlighting if it happens to find a whole-phrase match.

Is there some hidden feature where I can force it to match a whole phrase? Using quotation marks does nothing. And if the forums keep working this way, then an arbitrary subset of all cards and items will be impossible to find here.

2. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I had a quick look on the XenForo website and forums but I wasn't able to find any helpful advice.

However, if you really want to search for All Out Attack or another problematic phrase at the moment you can do so via your search engine of choice. For example in Google typing <site:cardhunter.com/forum "All Out Attack"> will get you what you want. Of course this isn't a viable long-term solution and I agree with you that this could quickly become an annoying problem in future.

3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Doesn't that have to do with the forum code they use tho? That seams like a hard thing to just touch up a little bit and fix sadly.

4. Sir Knight

Hey, thanks for reminding me about Google advanced search. Of course, yeah, I'd rather not have to go off-site when I'm in the middle of navigating these here forums.

5. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Maybe I can poke around in XenForo and see if I can, at least, do something about the link colors. I doubt it and I'd rather not break the forums or else Jon and company will have my head :)

6. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Bam - search can now do three-letter words and those links are much nicer and easier to see!

Assussanni and Wozarg like this.
  7. Sir Knight

It's . . . a . . . MIRACLE!

Edit: Some variability, though. Search for "All Out Attack" and it works. But search for "in the end" and it will return no results. It should be searching for the three-letter word "end," right? Searching instead for "in the middle" works just fine. And searching for the ungrammatical "in the end middle" tells me that, yes, it's only disregarding "in" and "the." So what's up with "end"?

8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Megadestructo being a baus!

9. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

That level of granularity is beyond me, unfortunately. I'll look in the XenForo community and see if I can find some help on that end.

EDIT: Looks like there's a XenForo Enhanced Search that might help but, wouldn't you know it, it's paid only. :(

10. Sir Knight

That's quite alright. I'll just revel in my newfound ability to search for nearly anything and link the results with fancy colored text. We'll see if any new issues arise, or if you have, in fact, solved just about everything like some kind of miracle worker.

11. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

23 minutes later...
    Now that's what I call service!

... although if I'm being picky I personally don't much like the new link colour :oops: A lot better than the old one though!