Secrets of the Elder Mind - 1hp

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Karstedt, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

Anyone done this yet? My only thought so far is 2 lifesaving nimbus priests and a volcano/FS wizard with the FS swapped out for more lava on the 3rd map. Sadly no lavastaff for me.

Problem is, knowing you have to get around mindhook really limits what you can do in the first 2 maps.

2. UiA

UiA Ogre

<cue Squidy>

3. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

2 wizzs with as much FS as possible + one priest with as mush Impenetrable nimbus as possible + luck + gold for revives

I tried different things only that worked

4. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I tried my 2 nimbus priest approach... I don't recommend it after having attempted it.

This is definitely a 2 wiz, 1 nimbus priest situation. I got past map 1 in 3 attempts with a stone waller and a level 4 FS. The win came from an early team run dash to the rear alcove where I stone a fire wall stalled for the FS. I Used wallbuilders staves only to find illusionary wall utterly useless vs the scuttling worms. Mind you, I wasn't hoping for it to be great, but to fill in a side hall or something to slow em down would have been nice.

EDIT: Cost me about 1k gold in the end. I liked the walls for the first level, but they are useless for 2-3. It really is just a waiting game for that 2+ nimbus draw and at least 4 firestorms without getting zapped on turn one or two so you can get the shields up. For the win, I had a 2 nimbus 5 FS draw on map 2, and a volcano (that I actually managed to get everything with) +4 FS and 3 nimbus (drew one from altruism) and followed up with both resistant hides turn 2 and got a FS off on the Elder Mind before he mind hooked for map 3.

So yeah, pure luck. Most expensive challenge yet... I did get a perplexing horn though, for twice what it would cost in Randimar's if it ever showed up.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  5. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I just beat the Elder Mind 1hp quest while paying for just 6 retries. Here's the team I used:

DR/Glaurang
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard
    DR/Narya
    Level 19 Human Priest
    DR/Vilya
    Level 18 Elf Priest
    Admittedly, I'm using some ridiculous gear, after having accidentally farmed 2x Chartwell's Ring off of the Kobold Mines in the space of a couple weeks.

The first map is the most difficult to complete with only a single wizard, but you also get free retries. It probably took me about 20 or so before I managed to team run everyone into a corner, and draw enough nimbus to start firespamming early on. Volcano is also a must-draw to keep the enemy from camping on the victory squares.

I beat the second map on my third try, thanks to drawing loads of firestorm and both Volcano and poor targeting by the AI. (Every single enemy targets the one character I've got nimbused first round, huzzah!)

On my fifth try at the final map, I drew into Resistant Hide after losing both priests, and then survived for two rounds (casting volcano and several firestorm) without the Elder Mind casting Brainhook.

Sir Veza and Stexe like this.
  6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

CONGRATS! I just finished my final quest to reach 100% yesterday (Elder Mind Drawback), it feels so good!

Sir Veza, Jon, Stexe and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bykuzplastiku

Bykuzplastiku Orc Soldier

Hi All

I have just finished my last quest. 1hp Elder mind.

Here is what i have used for the second map. Maybe it will help somebody. I couldn't find any clever solution similar to the Delicious Elf solution for the Black Plume... (i have used DE for 1hp and lvl 10 in the BPM - other two just warrior and 2 priests - dwarves can kill dragons).

By far SoEM is the most difficult of all quests (imho). I have spent a week or so trying to complete this one and have lost like 2,5k gold or more on several tries. The only thing that semi-worked for me was 3 elves (2 priests and wizard). Most of the items are not so difficult to obtain but there are two legendary staffs and 2 epic items on the wiz. I would not try to to this without them.

The first map is very tricky but ofc you can try as much as you can. I would suggest purging bursts there for black tokens, they will prevent Nimbus on wizard from sliding off. Also more Elf Scamper. The third battle is a laugh. Just put Nibus on your wizard and spam volcano. There is good chance that the Brainiac will die at the end of the second round. 10 tries should be enough.

The second one... there are few tricks to use. Don't move much. Opponents tend to attack left and right party member in a row, usually leaving the middle one. Put your first Nimbus there. Turn your priests to face active opponents, get benefit of Lifesaving block draw. Use Insight to control AI. To get through you will need to catch all enemies on the volcano at least once. Do not avoid close combat. It is way better to be cursed then killed. Also Elders tend to curse you again and reset doom clock. Death touch is crucial to deal enough damage. Wizard alone will not be enough. Chops might help. Constantly check what the 'sharks' are looking at. They will discard your cards so you want them to do it on priests not wizard. After starting your round with Nimbuses try to wait over as long as you can, play turns, insights etc. You will keep large hand (less chance for crucial cards being discarded) and allow elders to use their moves. Use winds to lure them to use final move card. They tend to keep one. Remember that if they are not active they cannot use SPR to move away of volcano. Play frenzy cards on the wiz if you see that sharks can discard it. They are crucial to finish off opponents. Try to share damage, especially close to the end you will need to risk and forfeit priests to get all Elders close to 12-8 hp. Prepare for the final blow (two attacks with frenzy) and have hope! It should take 4 rounds to finish. You wont survive much longer with this sharing damage tactics.

Good Luck!

PS. You might use something else for Charcoal Talisman and Greenguard Boots but they worked for me.

Adhon
    Level 20 Elf Priest

Andae
    Level 20 Elf Priest

Legelbe
    Level 21 Elf Wizard

8. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

I can't even... but congrats! I've yet to complete Highway Robbery 1HP. ;)

9. Bykuzplastiku

And why is that? Taking into account your item collection from the badge you shouldn't have problems with most of the 1hp quests... except for time and patience ofc ;). There are few difficult ones. I can name the geomencers, duengon of the swamp king, into the black forest, troll tyrant, wyverns. Beside that there must be tons of good advices for the low lvl 1hp quests! I have used the staff of misanthrope and the trog melter to ride most of them. Combined with priests and second 'kamikaze' wizard packed with tokenless firestorm. Priests are awesome for their low lvl lifesaving blocks items, bashing and other high dmg tokenless weapons. Most of the time the best strategy is just to pray for the resistance hide and run as fast as you can.

Going back to Elder Minds. 10 tries on the third map of this quest is really not much. This is the only good thing about this quest. If you put 2nd and 3rd maps in the reverse order then the whole thing would be much much more time consuming and difficult :).

cheers

10. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I don't think there is much advice since you can't redo but I have some advice. After getting a few minor tokens you can 2 player co-op and have 1 player use a nimbus priest and the other a fs wizard.

11. progammer

progammer Ogre

Well I guess many people would be able to do it, but didn't bother to due to either the costs of retries or the boredom of RNG struck.

Personally I would only attempt 1HP on any map that works reliably with less than 3 retries. The all melee or all single element with immunity (electric/fire) kind of map, bonus if they don't feature a tickling victory square clock.

12. Bykuzplastiku

The cost is not that bad except few maps that are really difficult (or at least were for me - like trolls, jellies and treemen). The good thing about 1hp quest is that large majority of them got reliable solutions (armours, smoke, resistance, teleporting, nimbuses, bashes, volcanos, etc. etc.). Just one need to work out one of them for every battle in the adventure. I would recommend to stop trying if one rebuy 5-6 times. In most cases it means that somebody need to rethink the whole idea.

There are many ways to slow down game staying alive to the moment when you can build up right combination of cards to clear up the map. Lots of times it is all about right positioning/flying/dashing away.

Sir Veza likes this.