'Run the Gauntlet'

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by adajon, Oct 9, 2015.

1. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

Run the Gauntlet - by adajon42

Pre-Battle Text

Holloborn pushes open the heavy ironclad doors and steps into The Gauntlet, home to one of Cardhuntria's most dangerous and prestigious contests. He glances around, noting the long, thin shape of the chamber, the flickering torches sparsely mounted on crumbling walls, and the blue-grey bricks littering the ground. Cautiously walking forward, he notices what appear to be large stone statues pressed up against the wall around the room - suddenly, without warning, fires ignite within them and they jolt into life! Reacting quickly, Holloborn jumps sidewards as a blast of concentrated magma fired from one of the living statues hurtles past him and explodes; he will need to use his nimble maneuvers and dodging skills here to reach the doors at the end of the room without becoming fried in the process...

Post-Battle text
    Slamming the doors behind him, Holloborn takes a moment to stop and catch his breath. A grin crosses his charred face - he made it through the first chamber! The Gauntlet shall be beaten yet! Gripping his mace, Holloborn walks away from the fiery deathtrap of the first chamber and stops in front of the next set of doors. Whatever this contest might throw at him, he will be ready for it.

Notes
    The Magma Idols and Lava Spitters each have two possible spawning locations, as shown on the terrain view screenshot.

Changelog
    Version 1: Scenario created

Screenshots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Inkfingers and BlackVoidDeath like this.
  2. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Took me four attempts to get to the end, only to have a sizzling bolt put in my back for the kill. Wah-wah.

I'm enjoying it.

3. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

Thanks! My main strategy for completing it is to spend one dash at the start of each round moving forwards, then passing until the end of the round - unless lava terrain is created underneath Holloborn, in which case I use the remaining attack/move hybrid cards to move forward further out of danger. The key thing is to never use a move card unless on lava terrain, I think.

4. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I had been trying that; still no luck. But maybe one day!

5. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Made it through after four tries - I think what did it is I managed to gun down one of the idols when it was Defensive, which opened things up a lot. Excellent challenge.

6. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Won first try, not hard because if you keep passing at the first two rounds, draw enough dashes and wait for the Idol's to move out the way then is an easy win.

timeracers and Flaxative like this.
  7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Good challenge, very similar to the Home Run scenario already submitted to Mauve Manticore (and which will be in MM10), but a bit deeper and maybe a tiny bit harder.

One thing, the steps right before the victory terrain should be difficult (right now they're open). Steps in CH are always difficult :)

BlackVoidDeath and timeracers like this.
  8. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

OK, all stairs are now difficult terrain, save for the final two which are victory terrain.
    You mentioned that a very similar scenario will be included in the next Mauve Manticore. Does this mean that my scenario will never be accepted into any future Mauve Manticore adventures?

9. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

No, but being similar will reduce its odds of success.

10. PurpleRed

PurpleRed Orc Soldier

I just played this one in MM11. I liked it, entertainment ensued. But I came here to find out what was in the rest of the gauntlet?? Where is the next map?? What happens to Holloborn??

Please complete the story, my entertainment demands it.

adajon, BlackVoidDeath and Flaxative like this.