Run the Gauntlet 2 - 'Chamber of Draughts'

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by adajon, Dec 13, 2015.

1. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

Chamber of Draughts is the sequel of Run the Gauntlet, which continues the story of Holloborn's plight in The Gauntlet. It follows the same basic theme of card conservation and movement planning, but instead of having to reach the other side of an area to win, certain monsters must be defeated instead - I wanted to change things up a bit and try something new. I would say Chamber of Draughts is quite a bit more luck-based than the original, but still makes for an enjoyable scenario.

Pre-Battle Text
    Patting out the last of the dying flames from his tunic, Holloborn cautiously steps into the next chamber. Compared to the last room, the air is much colder, and he takes a moment to wrap his violet cloak around his body a little tighter before peering into the gloom ahead. Suddenly, harsh mechanical clanking noises echo out from the sides of the room, closely followed by a trio of rusty Copper Golems! Yet even their might cannot be compared to the next entries. Holloborn's eyes widen in panic as two disgusting, brain-like monsters float towards him from the other end of the room - legendary Hyper Thalamuses! The first one raises a tentacle, and without warning, a rending hurricane sweeps into the chamber! Holloborn finds himself flung around the room to a completely different position; as he soars through the air, he notices a ornate silver key dangling from both of their slimy necks. He will need to kill the beasts in order to escape from this death trap...

Post-Battle text
    Turning the key in the lock, Holloborn shoves open the heavy oak doors at the end of the chamber, closely followed by angry mechanical clanking from behind. Two of the three chambers completed! A flicker of hope darts through his mind; not far left to go, and then the prize will be his!

Notes
    No victory points are awarded for killing the Golems. The rubble is difficult terrain, as well as the stairs. The pillars and outer walls are blocked terrain.

Tips
    • Stay away from the Golems no matter what - their powerful attacks will devastate you.
    • When fighting one Hyper Thalamus, try to ensure you are not in the line of sight of the other, as they have some powerful magic attacks.
    • Quick Reactions is incredibly useful to have. Keep those cards at all costs.

Changelog
    Version 1: Scenario created

Screenshots
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Took me 5 tries to win - won on 5th with 1 HP left on my character.
    Balanced map, a bit reliant on drawing movement and praying to RNG when you get whirlwinded without movement
    - I dont think this needs improvement, but it would have to be the first out of 3 manticores, so that the player can have ∞ replays.

adajon likes this.