[Resolved] Server Issues Aug 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Pengw1n, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

During that time I lost connection several times while playing the campaign. After restarting the client I could play again.

2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Looked to me like an infrastructure issue, rather than a software issue? Maybe you'll want to touch base with Amazon people (though I'm actually sure you already did).

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

There's some sort of deep seated server problem, almost certainly in our code - but one that occurs so infrequently that it's very hard for us to track down.

We had kind of an annoying weekend because, on Thursday, when I was deploying the new build, Amazon web services (our hosting provider) had a lot of glitches, which made the build deployment more complex and slower than needed. Then, on Friday, Steam's authentication server stopped working. Finally, on Sunday night our server broke. So we got hit three times by different things.

4. 3beaner

3beaner Guild Leader

Ouch that sounds like a cruddy weekend Jon. Thank you for taking the time out of your weekend to get things restored and I hope the server-side bug is easily found and squashed. Thanks again for making this awesome game possible.

CT5 and Bandreus like this.
  5. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

Sounds like you got served.

I'll show myself out.

6. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

That definitely sounds like trouble.

Can't offer much more info, sadly, but I'll be on the lookout so that I can offer as detailed a report as possible whenever I see the same behavior

7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Just did a quick pass and pulled some dates where there were major server issues:

a) Apr 29 2014
    b) Oct 15 2014
    c) March 5 2015
    d) Aug 2 2015

days difference between (a) and (b) = 169 days

14,601,600 seconds
    243,360 minutes
    4056 hours

days difference between (b) and (c) = 141 days

12,182,400 seconds
    203,040 minutes
    3384 hours

days difference between (c) and (d) = 150 days

12,960,000 seconds
    216,000 minutes
    3600 hour

Does this help ? I reckon we might get 4 good mths before hiccups happen again. A lot of major stuff from game launch to early 2014, I'm not able to lock down on an actual event that might have precluded Apr 29, 2014 tho. Hope it helps.

8. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

That's certainly an optimistic view! I hope you are right.

9. Leonardo Myst

Leonardo Myst Kobold

I'm trying to link my game profile and my forum profile.
    I usually play on Steam, but it looks like I have to play via web to get it linked up... however... when I click on "Play Now", I keep getting "Server not found". No issue logging in through Steam, btw.

10. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

I haven't heard of anyone having problems linking through Steam. Linking is done based on your account name, so the client shouldn't matter.
    Here's the relevant link explaining how to link to forum profile: http://cardhuntermeta.farbs.org/ceremonies.php#profile

As far as the via-webpage thing, try a different browser, I think there were some old browser-specific issues in the past.

Note that sometimes META-based maps don't process correctly or are delayed in processing, so you may have to repeat or wait for the effect to occur.

11. Leonardo Myst

Leonardo Myst Kobold

Thanks. I'll figure it out.
    I use Chrome and had no trouble just prior to it launching on Steam, as I played a few games through Chrome a day or two before to refresh myself on the mechanics (and remember my log in info, as it had been a while since I last played).

It's probably a network issue on my end as our internet provider often has trouble finding the server for Google and related sites one day, and then the other half the internet the next day.

LOL. Now I'm trying through Steam and getting a "Server is down" message.
    Must. have. patience. :)

Edit: Server came back up for me through Steam and I got linked up. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  12. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Awesome! :D

And yeah, I know what it's like having an unreliable internet -.-;