Resistant Hide is f**king Imba

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Amethyst, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst Kobold

I used 2 mages with many powerful spell (Mighty Spark, Wall of fire, Sizzling Bolt, .v.v.) to fought against a mage with 17 hp + a resistant hide. I couldn't kill him in 3 turns.

Is that armor f***king imba? Just Equip it and dont worry about mages (U can not always have boiling armor or acid in ur hand every time).

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Or have a wizard with any armor removal cards? Or acid terrain, or a warrior with shredding strike et c? And it did sound like you killed him in the end anyway? Remember that while the card is powerful, there's usually only ever 1 in a wizard deck - so actually a lot harder to draw than armor removal cards!

3. Amethyst

Amethyst Kobold

i said it already: u can not have those cards in ur hand all the time that enemy have resistant hide

4. Pengw1n

Sorry, just edited my post with some additional info there while you where typing a reply.

Apart from that, any frost damage, any non-magic damage et c will go through fine. Try spikes for your wizard if you're worried about hides.

5. Amethyst

Amethyst Kobold

1. Battle of mages always has a large space between them, so acid spray is useless.

2. Dissolve Armor + Boiling armor are very good. But i have only 2 boiling + 1 dissolve (Akon's Amulet). Although they only have 1 resistant hide, but i can not always draw those boiling + dissolve cards at the right time.

3. Yes, i killed him, but his warrior killed us after that because i lacked of damage (i spent 2/3 my damage on that mage)

Because i dont have priest, so i have to end the battle quickly, but that armor really counter my mages

6. Pengw1n

Acid blast or jet is better than acid spray for single targets - due to longer ranger. But yeah, situational uses I guess. Still, range has uses that should be taken into consideration. Hide IS powerful, but only against lightning and fire mages really.

7. Amethyst

Amethyst Kobold

Prevent damage from Acid, Poison, Fire, Lightning while Acane & ice are weak, not enough to kill anyone

Not only that, it is also an armor deduct 2 damage with high chance, so IMBA

Fire + Lightning mage are powerful but weak, there are many item to counter them: Martry, Nimbus, Resistant hide, healing cards, block magic, Block, etc...

8. Amethyst

Amethyst Kobold

I think 1 resistant hide is better than 10 missile blocks because of "keep" & 2 melee damage deduct

9. dmar314

dmar314 Goblin Champion

I agree that resistant hide is overpowered because of the additional "hardy mail effect", making it fantastic against enemy mages and very good against enemy warrior/priests. Fortunately you can only have one of them in your deck and mages are limited in the blocks and armor they can get, but that still doesn't excuse how strong the card is. Even frost spells max out at 4 damage, and there's a 2/3 chance that resistant hide reduces that to a paltry two damage (and only 4 damage from spikes, which isn't amazing). Mages don't have a lot of options against resistant hide other than armor removal.

10. Chompman

Chompman Mushroom Warrior

Remember that not all builds will work 100% of the time.

This gives some survivability to wizards against other wizards and I could see them changing it from 3+ to 4+ for normal armor damage prevention but otherwise it's fine and either use melee attacks against someone using this or when you get more of them armor removal.

Otherwise ping the target to death with arcane as you can get a ton of those very easy compared to say frost that tend to be a bit rarer.

11. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

You just need to have one of them at the right time.

12. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

You can't expect to be able to instantly counter any card the enemy has. Every strategy has it's pros and cons, yes your fire/lightning strategy has a lot of raw damage but it has poor utility and you are going to run into walls like this.
    Cards like resistant hide exist so that people have to actually put some thought into their builds instead of just picking the cards with the biggest numbers, and any card looks powerful when you compare it to cards that it hard counters (eg "Encumber is imba vs my step cards" or "Reliable mail is imba vs my low damage aoe's")

Zoorland and Keyser like this.
  13. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Over time I've gotten use to the fact that any wizard I face is probably going to have Resistant Hide in their deck, and should test their armour with a weak attack before wasting my Obliterating Spark or something like that. And if I do discover they've got the hide, I think about trying to get rid of it with my Acid Jet or Memory Loss... So I've gotten use to dealing with the card, and I'm not so bothered by it now.

However, I do think it is undervalued by the game. It is only 'silver' rating and it appears on many very useful tokenless robes. In my opinion, tokenless robes such as Forceful Robes and Rockshard Robes are so strong that they essentially eclipse all of the token-requiring robes. I think there are a heap of cool wizard robes which never ever see any play because they just can't compete with the power of those tokenless Resistant Hide robes.

14. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

Fully agree (except you omitted Firehide Robes from your examples).

15. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

In my opinion, Resistant Hide is really not imbalanced as it is (mostly because you can only ever have 1 in a deck which means you cannot build around it very well), but I do wonder why it is so "cheap", in terms of token costs. While adding a token cost to the robes that have it would hurt my current PvP deck a lot (I run 3 wizards), I wouldn't say that was an unreasonable balance change.

16. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Hello everyone :) Resistant Hide is very strong, but the issue with this armor has been already addressed. You've got only one resistant hide in your entire deck, and as such - this is indeed a very strong PvP card (hell, even in PvE against spark-based enemies it rocks), with removal in deck and the fact that there's only a single copy of Resistant Hide in a deck - it is nothing to worry about or complain, it's the thing you need to learn to live with. Cheers!

17. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

How about this: what creature uses Resistant Hide? Zombies. What are zombies known for? Being slow. Wearing a suit of zombie hide should make you slow as well. Adding Encumber 1 (kind of like Heavy Armor) helps balance out the fact that it's a decent light armor AND gives full elemental protection, and is thematic. If you think that's too harsh, you can make it an effect like Slowed, with a saving throw.

18. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

You forgot cockroaches, which aren't exactly known for being slow.

19. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

I don't think it's better than something like Arrogant armor.

20. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

That would resolve in zombies not moving at all with Encumber 1.
    It's good as it is :)