Reconnecting - yes/no?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jon, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Hi, anyone managed to reconnect to a battle after disconnecting? Anyone had problems with this feature? It's a complex feature under the hood and not had a lot of testing, so I'd love to know how it's working (or not).

2. Questor

Questor Ogre

It is great, my flash player froze at one point and after i reloaded the tab, the adventure went on.

Megadestructo and Jon like this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

This was pointed out in lobby chat, FYI—

If you're winning a game, and your opponent concedes, but your opponent concedes not by resigning but by closing the browser window, you no longer win automatically. You have to wait for your opponent to not reconnect.*

In my opinion, having reconnection is worth that hassle for some players. But the person who pointed this out in lobby chat (I forget who) was extremely annoyed. I wonder if there's any way to reconcile the current reconnection code with some kind of check to see if a player purposefully closed their browser window? Seems complicated, but worth asking.

*To be clear, this could already happen whenever someone who is losing a game decides to just time out instead of conceding, but now I think it'll be happening when people close the window without the intention of making their opponents wait 2.5 minutes.

4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

That's an interesting point. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way of us detecting if someone intended to close their browser tab or just closed it by mistake.

It's true that you can disconnect with the intention of stalling, but you can actually stall more effectively by just staying in the game and doing nothing.

If this turns out to be a big problem, we can always lower the reconnect time. However, the more we do that, the less useful it becomes to people who genuinely get dropped, have a crash or whatever.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeh, like I said, this is more going to happen in the context of people not intending to stall :p Oh well probably not a big deal :)

6. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Stickied just so that more people can see this and comment.

7. Ghostbrain

Ghostbrain Ogre

I seem to crash since the update, and on reloading, screen constantly spins circle until timeout has happened in the game. (am using Firefox browser; may try Chrome today to see if the error still occurs)

8. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

The reconnect just worked for me in SP. My network cut out in the middle of a battle and after restoring the connection the battle continued from where I left it.

A couple of days ago in the same situation it didn't work, it showed the battle as lost after the reconnect.

9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I got the "Connection Lost" message in the middle of battle (SP), and reloading brought me back to the same point in the battle. Yea! :cool:

10. illkkill

illkkill Mushroom Warrior

reconnection didn't work for me (2 times). When I turn the game back on (after disconnection).
    The browser just froze on the loading screen
    There is a grey bar running forever but it never loads me back into the game

11. AngryUSAMan

AngryUSAMan Orc Soldier

I have been disconnected twice when I was going to win, and two times I was not able to reconnect within the 2 minute going idle period. It took forever on the loading screen both times and I lost both games. Today it happened on my gold chest game so I quit mp for campaign where the reconnect actually works. I don't know if maintenance is happening or what, but I am having problems logging into the game. It goes to the screen where the campaign and multiplayer buttons normally are, except they don't pop up at all. It's just a screen where I can't do anything or click a button.

12. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Looks like there was a few reports of people getting stuck with faulty reconnects over the weekend. While the fix is being worked on I suggest you send a support request to support@cardhunter.com with your ign name for a manual clear (if it's the same issue as the others that is).

13. AngryUSAMan

AngryUSAMan Orc Soldier

Thanks, Pengw1n, I'm finally able to log in to the game again, but if I have the same problem again, I will contact support.

Pengw1n likes this.
  14. Siul

Siul Kobold

I have been disconnected twice. First time the reconnection works, but second time I was not able to reconnect like AngryUSAMan:

15. amoth

amoth Kobold

I've had two disconnects with failed reconnects in MP. In both cases the game silently froze - it seemed like my opponent was just taking a long time to move, and his timer was still counting down, but when i typed stuff into battle or lobby chat it just disappeared when i pressed return.

So i reloaded the page, logged in and was faced with an endlessly spinning wheel. On a subsequent page reload i went back to the MP lobby having presumably timed out in the battle.

In the second case, when i hit the page reload, the server disconnection message briefly appeared as the page reloaded.

Chrome on XP with click-to-run plugins and a popup blocker.

16. Siul

Siul Kobold

This has happened to me too. There is little chance to try to reconnect because when you realize that is a disconnection and no a slow move, time was expired. Also, I can navigate without problem on other websites, so I have Internet connection.

17. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

This happens to me frequently. I've learned to start typing in the lobby after a minute to see if it's me or my opponent.

I had a successful reconnect yesterday, but then about 2 moves later it said my opponent disconnected... it said he reconnected and disconnected again about a minute later. Then it disconnected me again and when I came back it just dumped me to the MP screen, so presumably even though it only took me 30 seconds to get back, I must have been silently disconnected for a while.

18. Gento

Gento Kobold

It's working very well now thanks guys

19. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Had my first disconnection in CH today - a bluescreen appeared fortunately during a SP adventure.
    Restarted my computer and reconnected to the game, i was in the middle of a Vicious Thrust: had stepped already but hadn't attacked yet. It said "select a target" as it should. I selected and game froze. The menu seemed to be working so I chose to resign but even that didn't do anything. So I refreshed the game window and it took me to after battle screen as if I had resigned.

20. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

i had a flash error during a match vs cardohtron, when i was winning, lucky after refreshing the game i manage to log back in time :)

note: the reconecting took a while..and when u racing snooze, it fells like a eternity :p

Flaxative likes this.