Rate my Randimar's Rarities

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Will-, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Ector

Ector Hydra

2. FDrybob

FDrybob Goblin Champion

3. Mr. Magnifico

Mr. Magnifico Thaumaturge

This week my Randimar's has both a Mordecai's Staff Of Magma and a Staff Of A Million Embers, neither of which I have. Absent a sustained farming campaign or fire (heh) sale of other items, I can only afford one. I lean more towards the Staff of Magma, since Volcano is a rarer card than Ember Burst and I imagine it'd help a lot with high-level SP farming.

4. Yaxchilan

Yaxchilan Kobold

5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

If you prefer SP I'd go with Magma, if you prefer MP I'd buy Embers, though both would find some use in both formats.

My preference would be Bynzer's, but you might also ask @Flaxative, he used to champion vamps and may have some other thoughts on this decision.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Mr. Magnifico likes this.
  6. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

You probably don't want to miss out on a great item but listing everything is hard for people to process. I think you'll get more responses if you limit it to items you're interested in or are unsure about.

The items that stand out for me are Barnum's Staff and Pergop's Slippers. Barnum's Staff is what I'd use in an Instant Burn deck if I only have major/minor token to work with but the build takes a ton of expensive items to make. Pergop's Slippers is the best double Violent Spin boots although Zachary's Boots is nearly as good and only epic. Phantom Pain and Sander's Force Mirror are nice too but lower priority. A lot of people swear by The Lunginator but I don't like it. There isn't anything in the epics list that is a clear buy. It all really depends on your gold reserves and what you like to play.

Bandreus and FDrybob like this.
  7. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Your assessment is correct. There are multiple staves with 4+ Ember Bursts but there is only one with 4 Volcanos. Mordecai's Staff of Magma makes farming the higher levels a whole lot easier. If you spend very little time farming and play mostly multiplayer Staff of a Million Embers is probably correct. Otherwise, I'd go with Mordecai's.

8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

The general consensus is that Vibrant Pain is for niche situations and Bynzer's Black Spear is one of the best vampire weapons. I would go with the Spear, especially now that they decided not to nerf Spear Of Darkness.

9. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

There are also multiple options to play instead of Staff Of A Million Embers, but none to replace Mordecai's Staff Of Magma ..

10. IguanaMan

IguanaMan Kobold

11. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Vibrant Pain. It's still awesome.

Bynzer's I think will depend on the vampire... Total theorycraft here, but a Dwarf Vampire might like Bynzer's cause the spears compensate for low movement, and dwarves get Blind Rage to boost damage. Stab-happy Vampires would also prefer Bynzer's over Vampire's Blade to always threaten damage at 2 range (you'd need some Hands of Melvelous and/or Glasod's Dark Skull though, more legendaries).
    I prefer Vampire's Blade to Bynzer's because of the traits, and because I run elves. Racial Dash + Healing Dash and Elven Trickery (Healthy Trickery) help me close gaps, so I can reliably use the 1-range drains.

Mr. Magnifico: One more vote for Mordecai's Staff of Magma.

IguanaMan: you can probably skip everything. Normally I'd say Shield of Ultimate Dodging, but it's about to get changed / nerfed.

12. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Like I said in a previous post I think paring down the list to things you're genuinely interested in is the best way to go. It's easier for people to go over and they'll be more likely to respond. Telling everyone your budget is a good move though.

I would get a second copy of St. Olf's Fiery Pike. It is hands down the best double minor token divine weapon for melee builds and it is not uncommon to play two, even on the same priest. It is just that good.

doog37 and Drakkan like this.
  13. Torsk

Torsk Kobold

14. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Blue Destruction is really nice, especially if you can buff the attacks with a priest. Wuuna's Vampiric Shroud is a staple for vamps. If you think you're likely to build around either they are good pickups. Otherwise, Infused Greatclub and Shielding Token are popular items. Both are very good for getting through the campaign too.

15. Ector

Ector Hydra

- nothing to pay for.
    Worse than Staff Of Embers or Staff Of Million Embers. I wouldn't buy it.
    - Too unfocused IMHO.
    - Nice, but not very spectacular for a token.
    - The cards are good, but I don't like to have my warriors to move the other chars. The support should move the warriors, not vice versa.
    There are better boots.
    - This one is really worth buying. A great item with two Illusory Barriers. I've bought two myself :)
    - Crap.
    - The best crushing weapon in the game. It's awesome even without Crusher, and with it it's simply unbelievably good. Man, you can't miss it! I'm hunting for it for several months, and I'd like to buy two :)
    - A yellow token is too much for these cards.

There are only two items you shouldn't miss by all costs: The Lunginator and Phantom Pain. Congratz on having the chance to buy Lunginator BTW!

16. Ector

Ector Hydra

Congratz man! You have both Advanced Crushing and The Lunginator!!! Now you have a week to farm, earn, steal or get some gold by any means you find appropriate, but don't miss these two. Both are very good, and they make a great combo.
    I am really jealous BTW. I wish I'd have such wonderful items myself :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  17. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I have 3x The Lunginator, but only rarely used 'em. I don't even get what's all the fuzz about it. I wouldn't buy it, I think it's way too expensive when you consider what it is that you're actually getting. Maybe it's only me though.

18. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Just adding a vote to the pile (as you can see different players value different items):
    I'd go for St. Olaf's Firey Pike and then maybe Rantic's Orb if you are interested in building a burning wizard (not the best burn item, but very good at epic price). I'd skip the rest.

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

@Yaxchilan for whatever it's worth, Vibrant Pain can be fantastic in ranked. In the last couple days I threw together a build incorporating two of them, and I shot up ~200 rating points into the top 20 players by current ranking (top 5 active). Granted my build has a bunch of other legendaries supporting them, but I just wanted to relay my experience: Vibrant Pain can be a very, very competitive item. :)

Drakkan likes this.
  20. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

If you are just on 50% dont waste your money on Items you wont play .. why would you spend 2500g on a card that you "might" play once ... and might not..
    Focus on one build, dont try to buy all the Items yet.. you'll get some Items as drops .. and you'll get those items in Randi again eventually ..

I would focus on rares, epics and just few Legendaries ... I would buy St. Olaf's Fiery Pike..

Sir Veza and Bandreus like this.