Rate my Randimar's Rarities

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Will-, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

As a rule (which Flax has ably demonstrated), a true vamp's attacks should all be vampiric. Frenzy, block removal, and armor removal are best left to comrades. That being said, for a normal priest 2x Unnerving Strike is good, 2x Spear Of Darkness is okay, 2x Sapping Touch is weak, and 2500 gold is an awful lot to pay for it.

2. Ector

Ector Hydra

You aren't paying 2500 gold for these cards, you're paying a blue token :) After the item is bought, who cares about the way you've got it? And I'd say this is a very tasty set of attacks for a blue token! Just two non-vampiric attacks, and they are very strong.

3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

It has more to do with Sapping Touch than Unnerving Strike in my opinion. You can make a very good vamp build with one of your weapons not being pure drains (Lifesuck Spear and St. Portia's Maul come to mind - one of which is uncommon). But for your drains to be effective they have to recover the HP that is being lost. Most vamp builds will take advantage of mass frenzy to help with this; however, even with MF Sapping Touch is only an attack 5 which isn't very good and isn't going to help you recover when a warrior is hitting you for double digits. Now you might think that this is "made up for" because it only costs a single blue token. The thing is, specifically with vamp builds, tokens are NOT an issue. Many high end vamp builds have unused tokens sitting around. Thus the low token cost doesn't help a vamp build, because the build already has extra tokens, and the weapon isn't very useful for a non-vamp build because 4 of its 6 cards are low damage drains. Maybe you stick it on a support priest in a vamp build who needs the token help, but I have to think you'd likely be able to find a better fit even there. I can only speak my own opinion, but I've run vamp a lot, and I would have no interest.

4. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I do like Chalchu's Hammer a bit. Unnerving Strike is a good card, although generally if you have Talented Healer you can just spam attacks until all the blocks are gone. Now if it had Sundering Strike I would seriously consider it for a vampire- armor is often why attacks like Sapping Touch don't do much damage. That being said, I don't use the Hammer. If I had a single Glasod's Dark Skull, and seeing as I lack Bynzer's Black Spear, I would use it for a SoD deck.

5. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Don't buy it. Inspiring presence is mostly played with FS wizzs while MF is mostly for warriors. And triple heal is no good. I can't picture a build where I would use this item unless maybe if they remove ww/wwe and leave FS untouched with the incoming balance changes. Now your siggy says that you are a SP player and if I was strictly playing SP I would even less buy it because if you want to go MF priest or Inspiring presence priest you have better items that are more focused on MF or on Insp. presence.

egs:
    -tokenless item with inspiring presence and some Savage curses got none and want some: http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/Skull_of_Savage_Iljin
    -one more focused on healing: http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/Jygpin's_Healing_Ring
    and for MF the well known Bleneth's Skull

hatchhermit likes this.
  6. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Thanks for your perspective, Squidy. Chances are high I won't buy it now. I only have enough for 1 Legendary and who knows what might be in Randimar's at the reset!

7. Ector

Ector Hydra

A "brilliant" response for sure. Looks like you can buy any item you want, can't you? :)
    Yes, the Skull of the Savage Iljin is better for FS, but not for a vampire priest, plus it's a legendary so you may NEVER find it. Yes, the Bleneth's Skull is better for a vampire priest and any MF priest, but, you know, it's legendary etc. etc. Jygpin's Healing Ring is much worse, since Light Heal is a weak card, much weaker than Triple Heal. Plus, if you really need MF and healing, how can the Healing Ring be better?

It's your decision, of course, but remember, you may have no good legendaries for a long time. I had none for 3 weeks. And if I will see your bundle at my Randimar's tomorrow, I will buy it immediately. :cool: Despite the fact that I have both the Skull of Savage Iljin and Bleneth's Skull.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  8. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

It's not that I don't want to buy it. I do. But I have a feeling I won't use it.

9. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

I am not saying it's a bad card, but to me it's an average L. I think hatchherrmit would benefit more at this stage from buying 5 good Epic at Randi over this L. Or a really good L that can pop in 2 hours. And if you need MF and healing you go St. Bethan's Charm which is only Epic :p

I gotta admit I have never played with a vampire priest (no no no Flax!, please stop casting this Punishing Bolt on me) but I doubt they really need the situational (caus it can also benefit to the enemies) healing from Inspiring Presence.

10. Ector

Ector Hydra

It's very likely, but we all know that the playable legendaries are rare and very difficult to get, so at the later stages he may regret :)
    St. Bethan's Charm is really very very good, but you don't realize how powerful is Inspiring Presence, especially for a team of vampires. You cast it as instant, then every char can play the new attack as instant.

11. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

12. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I used it quite a bit before I got a pair of Raging Battlers. Its even good just as a trait cycler on a wiz in SP.

13. kogi

kogi Ogre

Not sure how good Startling Strike is. But for 500gp and 2 minor tokens? I'd buy it. Also it's a crushing so it will be buffed by Crusher

14. Questor

Questor Ogre

Not very, the damage can still be blocked. The discard takes place after that.
    But the main problem with the weapon is the very low damage for 2 silver token.

15. Ector

Ector Hydra

I'd say it's unlikely to be useful since Desperate Block is quite bad. Plus, Blind Rage isn't the best card you can have from a skill; it can be found on many popular weapons. I am playing Untrained Toughness in SP; all its cards are useful most of the time, and none of these can hurt you :)
    A bad weapon. The chances of discarding most blocks are low, there are no step attacks, and the damage is also low for two tokens.

So, you actually have nothing to buy for this week, as well as me :( I've got St. Nyssa's Hammer and 8 crappy epics. It's 4 weeks now without any playable legendaries for me. Do you believe now that every playable legendary should be bought?

16. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Yeah. I gambled on better stuff coming up today. Of course I believe playable legendary items should be purchased. I said earlier that I wasn't sure if I'd play it. Once my disposable income gets a little higher, I'm more likely to take a chance on Legendaries I might play. Right now I'm only willing to buy those that I know I'll play.

Thanks for the advice on the other stuff. I really do appreciate it. You always have strong opinions on what is good and bad and I like that.

Ector likes this.
  17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Apprentice Ferocity is one of the most useful tokenless dwarf skill for a warrior. It has no weak cards and Blind Rage is a substitute for Mass Frenzy if you don't run priests. Heck, I even use it in single player farming on wizards for the trait cycling. Desperate Block might not be the best but it is far from bad. People will often use a weak attack first, see the coast is clear, and run right into it with a strong attack.

18. Ector

Ector Hydra

Yes, it is. But you can get MUCH more for a blue token. And Raging Battler is 1000 times better.
    Any skill with some armor is better than "trait cycling" IMHO.
    Any card that you cannot play yourself and is unlikely to trigger itself is bad. It would be good if it would trigger on 2+, but currently it's bad.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  19. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

If I'm looking at Apprentice Ferocity I don't care what I can get for a blue token, I'm comparing it to other tokenless items (though even if I have the token to spare I prefer AF in many builds anyway). As far as Raging Battler goes, it is better in a lot of builds, but it is legendary, and since legendaries don't come around all the time (as Ector keeps reminding us ;)), this is still a strong choice. Even owning two Raging Battlers there are still a few rare occasions that I find myself equipping it (sometimes on my 3rd character, sometimes when I have a build favoring blocks over armor).

Ummm, AF is a racial skill, Electroporter Novice is an arcane skill. So if you're going for trait cycling, use both. And yes it is a GREAT item for the drawback quests.

NonPotableWater likes this.
  20. Ector

Ector Hydra

Sorry, it was my mental glitch. Fixed.

As for the skill - I really see no much use for it. One of my dwarven warriors is using Advanced Toughness in MP, another uses Solid Rock. Yes, Blind Rage is good etc. etc. but if your warrior gets encumbered or teleported away, it becomes a drawback. The defensive cards or moves are much better IMHO. And the skill is absolutely useless in SP (except for the drawback quests), since a Firestorm party doesn't need Blind Rages.

But it's really great for the drawback quests. Really. So if you have 500g to spare, you can buy it just for them :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014