Rate my Randimar's Rarities

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Will-, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Kerrick's Steel Boots are alright for a Wizard, but most people would use Bertha's Big Clogs to avoid spending the token.
    I've stopped using my Argo's/Corian's Boots on my dwarf warriors. It might just be my deck style, but I find that having 3 good move cards is better than one move card and two Officer's Harness, or I would rather use Sticky Slippers than Argo's.

2. Ector

Ector Hydra

Personally I like Ulalia's Boots for my wizard when I can spend the token, but Kerrick's looks nice too.

Yes, I run Sticky Slippers myself, but that's just an answer to the current maps with a lot of possibilities for the control wizards. If the maps would change, I am likely to change the boots.
    Anyway, Argo's aren't only for the dwarves. I guess elven warriors need lesser movement, but more blocks and armor. Here they are getting all three block/armor cards, great for the boots.

3. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Ah, yes, I do love Ulalia's Boots for SP. In MP I think that Naradoc's Boots are my Most Valuable wizard accessory. They are just great, period.

I would still use Sticky Slippers if they were called Floating Flip-Flops or Loafers Of Lightness instead and they came with two Hover and one Wild Run.* Well it should be an Escaping Run or something that makes it (minortoken)*. Or really any mediocre traits will do.
    Immovable is amazing against pushy wizards, but the fact that it's the only boot with two traits is the #1 important fact, regardless of the meta.

4. Ector

Ector Hydra

Hm. Do you really think that Immovable is better for a mage than Arcane Aura? In most cases mages don't need to move close to the enemy, so the enemy movement effects aren't as dangerous for them as they are for the warriors. They can be moved to the harmful terrain, though.

When the maps will have more cover versus mages, I will prefer Wlakwa's Boots. Group movement is a good answer to the pushing. I've killed a lot of dreaded wizards with a timely Team Run after Winds of War or WWE.

5. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Naradoc's Boots are way better than Ulalia's Boots for my wizard. The way my wizard runs, that Immovable will transform into:
    -A trait(8+ cards), which will transform into:
    -A Spell, including Winds of War, Flame Jet, Wall of Fire, Frost Jolt, Short Perplexing Ray... (21/27 cards)
    -A Flanking Move (2 from boots)
    -A (majortoken) Racial skill card (one of 3 cards)
    -A single copy of Cloth Armor. (mrech)

All of the above, with the exception of Cloth Armor, is superior to Arcane Aura. And even then, that Arcane Aura isn't much better than Cloth Armor. The extra damage is often irrelevant and on most turns I would rather be drawing a spell or card I can play immediately than a small and often short-lived damage boost.

Again, the effect of Immovable itself, as I have stated before, is mostly irrelevant (as is the case for most, if not all traits!). It is the card draw/cycling effect that counts.

Flaxative likes this.
  6. Ector

Ector Hydra

Well, I know that I shouldn't wager a discussion here, but just can't keep away from it :) You may prefer Frost Jolts, while I prefer Cones of Cold. Cones don't require a target and can be played with Squeamish; they also ignore smoke. Most importantly, you can slow several characters at once, so you don't need that many spells. Actually, I have the other frost spells too, so I can often freeze even elves.
    Now look at the number of spells with 1 damage in the deck. Winds of War, Flame Jet, Cone of Cold - there are at least 10 of them, usually more. Arcane Aura adds 2 damage to all these spells, +200%. Now please note that all these spells can hit multiple targets. If I cast Cone and Winds on the same turn and hit two characters with each, that would net +8 damage total on that turn. Would you call that increase "irrelevant"? I've played a lot of games versus parties without mages, and Arcane Aura is a pure gold there. The enemies cannot move and cannot hit my wizard to remove the Aura. I've scored +20 net damage and more with it.

7. I don't think you should avoid discussion, as you are always entitled to your opinion. I recall reading a post of yours recently in this thread and thinking that you hit the nail on the head. Of course, that being said, I'm going to tell you why Cone Of Cold/Arcane Aura isn't breaking the game or seeing any play at upper levels. Cone of Cold is fantastic for single player mode, but there is good reason for it to lose out to Frost Jolt in multiplayer. Cone of Cold is a little tricky to line up so that it doesn't hit your guys, who if they are warriors may very well be protecting your wizard by positioning themselves between him and the enemy. If that isn't enough of a dealbreaker, the range of 6 on Cone of Cold is no match for Frost Jolt's solid 8 range, one of the best in the game. Oh, and you can save yourself Arcane Aura and deal a solid 4 damage without extra effects. I would rather have two Frost Jolts than a Cone of Cold and an Arcane Aura, wouldn't you? Arcane Aura is just too flimsy to be very good in multiplayer. Also, I do not experience problems shooting my Frost Jolts through smoke. It depends on your deck and personal preference, but hitting two dudes with a Cone of Cold (even for 3 damage each if they are naked) isn't a bonanza.

8. Ector

Ector Hydra

I've just meant that this discussion is offtopic here.

Yes, casting Cone without hitting my warriors can be tricky, but, firstly, some practice greatly helps here, and, secondly, if my warrior has Arrogant Armor, he will be safe. BTW, I've got both Bern's Untouchable Mail and Impervious Panoply.

Looks like we're using the completely different tactics: you're trying to freeze one of them to disable their synergy, I'm trying to freeze all of them if possible. Yes, I would prefer two Frost Jolts to Cone+Arcane Aura in most situations, but, on the other hand, I'd prefer Cone + WWE to Frost Jolt + WWE (more chances to disable enemy team and kill them one by one), and I'd prefer Cone + Frost Jolt to the two Jolts (chances to completely freeze even an elf, disabling even Nimble Strikes). In other words, I have both Jolts and Cones.
    Yes, Arcane Aura can be easily discarded, but only if your opponent has a mage. Believe me or not, but the teams without mages are quite popular; I've met two just yesterday. They are my favorite opponents :)

You mean nobody plays smoke? It's quite strange. I am going to build a Cone/Smoke/WWE deck that should leave no chances to the targeting mages. It's going to be very funny...

9. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Yeah. You are going to need a Staff Of The Arctic and some other epics/legendaries to really max out the Cone of Cold. Don't forget your Cotton Wizard's Robes! And Ember Bursts!

As for deckbuilding, there is no guarantee that Arrogant Armor is going to show up even with 3 copies in the deck. You are going to freeze your allies sometimes, period.
    I don't believe it is just me, but I find that playing Cone of Cold is only going to hit one opponent anyways. That being said, I do use both Frost Jolt and Cone of Cold, it's just that Frost Jolt is way more flexible in *most* situations. Unless you are playing 3wiz, in which case Cone of Cold is probably a good choice too.

And back to Arcane Aura, no doubt that it can be damaging against an opponent without a wizard, but depending on your opponent and the map, it can be quite useless. Also, all it takes is a single Reliable Mail or something and it pretty much negates all your little 1-damage attacks, Arcane Aura or not. It's just not reliable and a dead draw in the late game.

Smoke bombs counter wizards hard, can disrupt priests, but are almost completely useless against warriors.

10. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.
  11. Ector

Ector Hydra

I wouldn't buy the helmet, since 90% of the time you will use tokenless helmet anyway. This helmet is nice, but there are no cards that cannot be found elsewhere. The Horn and the Robes are auto-buys. As for the Circlet... I have it, but never used it yet. Any item with double SPR should be bought IMHO :)

As for me, Randimar really wants me to build a Fire deck :) Only two good items this week:
    Wym's Fiery Pin - one of the best Fire items.
    Gaudekki's Orb - yes, I know that Zap is bad, but a tokenless item with both Glob Of Flame and Firestorm is probably worth playing. I wish I had Azgul's Orb instead... or two :)

What do you think about Silver Fir Staff? Yes, there are some weak cards there, but they aren't Zaps and can be played. It requires only one token, and sometimes it's great to devote more tokens to the trinkets.

12. PenPenguin

PenPenguin Kobold

13. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

14. PenPenguin

PenPenguin Kobold

Major token not worth Barge?! Overall 4 less damage...but also 400 more gold. Currently using Sword Of The Lion - wondering if it's worth the upgrade.

15. Aegisdivine

Aegisdivine Kobold

16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

3 legendaries this week, but I'm not much of a farmer and don't pile up gold very fast so if I buy any of them I'll probably break the bank and won't be able to buy another legendary for a few weeks... Are any of these worth it?

Amulet Of Blades
    Bleneth's Skull
    The Perforator

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

18. Aegisdivine

Aegisdivine Kobold

19. I think that you ought to pick up that triple shorty perp. Bewlin's Baffling Bauble costs a yellow token but is packing some serious discard power. Now, the Bolg's Club of Evasion stinks in my book because it has too few attacks. You will be dodging away from your opponents because you drew no attacks that turn.

As for me, my shop has 3 Legendaries:
    Bynzer's Weighted Club - I know that we all scoff at Barge, but I am tempted to buy this in preparation for the day I figure out how to make my "Pacifist" build work (Just holdin' VP's and Barging you away).
    Glasod's Dark Skull - Vampire item with three range 2 attacks seems good.
    Xemu's Staff - Tokenless staff with SPR? Seems good, but it's also a little unfocused. In a Firestorm build, Staff of the Inferno is much better and I have 5 of those, so would I ever want to play this?

Among the Epics, this one tempts me:
    Staff Of Blazing Sparks

And I went ahead and scooped this up cause it's only 100 and good for campaign mode:
    Scouring Axe

20. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Guess what? Both WoW and WWE have superior range AND push distance than barge, AND won't trigger parry. :p