Rate my card - player card suggestions

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Martin K, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

@raffishtenant: Barrel Ride

I like the idea. Muscle Through is somewhat similar, although it's push, not damage. The damage is a bit low for a silver card, but it has a value on its own for the free move two. Apart from repositioning, the main value is in drawing out blocks and armor cards.

By the way, as it is written now, the card also deals damage to allies. Is this really intended??

Here is mine:

Look Behind You!
    Paper / Uncommon
    Attack / Projectile / Sonic (same as War Cry)
    Play Effect: The target changes facing to turn its back towards you.
    Range: 2

This card is meant to be a cheap but effective counter to blocks. In a pinch, you can also use it to turn allies who are about to be squashed from behind.
    Typical items would be helmets and human skills.

2. Definitely intended, in a Firestorm/Flash Of Painy kind of way, but more localized and designed for the warrior. I think it was inspired in part by Phaselock's maddeningly (though entertainingly) claustrophobic map for Mauve Manticore #1—i.e. "get me the hell out of here so that I can live to kill you another day"—and in the spirit of that kind of melee mania, it didn't seem realistic to limit the damage to only enemies (though it conveniently worked out that way in the movie). But as such, it may also be a bit too situational to be generally useful, even if the mechanism were supported.

Was torn between silver and bronze...you're probably right that the latter would be better given the low damage and drawback.

I like it, a lot. It feels to me a bit more like a wizard thing than a warrior/helmet thing.

3. MagicLance

MagicLance Mushroom Warrior

Mind Trick
    Mind Control seams more so. Being able to view your opponents cards plus pick one to steel is OP. That would be so powerful that some sort of serious hampering trait should always be with it. A low range, say 3, and a high fail roll chance like 5 seams a min to ad.

Barrel Ride
    Reminds me more of a fighting move called Barrel Roll from a game that I once played. Normally used in Aviation but I am referring to a ring type maneuver here you "through" yourself into the feet of the enemy in a way that he falls down and you can get back up quickly.
    Effects: Attack for 2 damage that causes the target to discard all its movement cards.
    *no intend to steel that idea. This just hit me*

4. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I think some variation of this card should be called:

What's That?
    "A seasoned fighter does not take their eyes off their target for even a moment... W-what are they pointing at?"

Also, range 2, no cantrip, and blockable with Block any... doesn't seem like that would be very effective, outside of hoping the card itself wastes a block.

5. "Over there! A giant robot! I'd tell you what a robot is, but you should really just see for yourself"

6. Adolf Tickler

Adolf Tickler Mushroom Warrior

7. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Interesting ideas. I like the first one the most, but as for Psychic Addle (forcing characters to swap cards with team mate) I don't think it would cause too much chaos, since there is nothing stopping a warrior from using Frost Jolt or a wizard using a Nimble Strike or something. It's a fun idea for sure. As for the last one, don't think you can have a armor/trait card... it's actually more like armor/boost.

8. Adolf Tickler

Hah, quite right. Forgot that different classes can use other class cards. Although Psychic Addle could be good for swapping movement, block, armor cards right at the wrong time for an opponent. Don't forget that it can also give a Frost Jolt to the enemies warrior but now the warrior has to deal with a different LoS for the Frost Jolt. It may not be that great, which is why it also has a 1 dmg for those pesky characters that move out of range.

White Elephant is the card I am most interested in for feedback.

9. Adolf Tickler

Also just thought of this next card. It's not horribly original, but I like the mechanics of it.

Enjoy!

10. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Cards don't have an "Epic" Rarity ATM; only items can be epic/legendary.
    Also, that's an interesting attack card, but there are some discrepancies between having armor like Mail or not. For example, what if the armor is "Thick Hide Armor"? Also, see Arcing Spark .
    I would like to see an electric attack that would target a single character, and then all other targets within range 2 get zapped with electrical damage.

And White Elephant (don't understand the name?) would be a very potent card. Imagine a warrior stacking all of his encumber cards on a nearby wizard. You could also pass off Trip, Fright, etc...

11. MagicLance

LIGHTNING ROD sounds real interesting. Arcing Spark is similar but this would be different enough. Highly luck based as well. :)
    This White Elephant (don't understand the name either :rolleyes: ) would be a good new card. Holy perhaps and rare.

New idea >> Arcane Blast.
    Blast area of 1 from its center (total of 3 in all directions or 9 fields total) doing 4 damage to all. Range 5.
    This is like Fire Ball but instead of doing burning damage it will Slide all characters 1 away from its center.
    This will go around solids so no blind spots.
    Flavor : BOOM and away they went.

12. MagicLance

Slide Through.
    Movement card. Uncommon.
    Similar to charge as that you may move in one direction only. Move 4.
    The character can pass through any other character. Other characters only and no blocking terrain.
    I feel that such a card could greatly increase the tactical aspect for any player character.

13. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

That would be Free Move 4. I would rather use Scamper than this card honestly, and that's only if I was possessed to do so.

14. Acid Rain
    Quality: Silver.
    Rarity: Uncommon.
    Color Class: Attack.
    Damage Type: Magic Acid.
    Range: ---
    Attack: 1
    Effect: All players on the board discard their oldest armor card.

15. MagicLance

Acid Rain would be interesting.
    I would even play it and lose my own armor if up against a mass of armored opponents.

Talking about field effect ideas.
    Fog-of-War
    Quality: Copper
    Color Class: Support
    Type: Magic Effect
    Range: ---
    Effect: Places a random number of Smoke tiles on the board. Duration 5 turns.

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm sad this thread died.
    Originality: ★★★★☆
    Simplicity: ★★★☆☆
    Thematic Fit: ★★★★★
    Balance: ★☆☆☆☆

Duration 5 is pretty crazy, and the random number needs a range. I'd like this card better if it placed, say, 10 squares of smoke in random locations. Also, by Support, do you mean for it to be a Utility (purple) card?

#​

And here's a new one to start things up again:

Vacuum Block
    Quality: Gold
    Rarity: Rare
    Color Class: Block
    Trigger effect 1: Block any. Place attacker in a random square adjacent to you and set its facing randomly.
    Chance: 33%

17. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Vacuuming Wizards in!
    But, umm, I can't imagine another expansion coming up with new cards any time near so are you really considering adding extra cards? :eek:
    Fog-of-War surely deserves full points for originality, no? :p 10 smoke tiles on a bigger map seems cool, but on smaller maps that would be more than bronze's worth.

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

What? I'm just participating in a fun community exercise.