Rate my card - player card suggestions

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Martin K, Nov 13, 2013.

1. actionjack

actionjack Mushroom Warrior

Originality: *****
    Simplicity: *****
    Thematic Fit: ****
    Balance: ***

I think it could be strength a bit, by up it damage to around 4 or 5. Could also introduce a "Daze" condition, much like the effect of Mind Worm.

=================

Name: Hit and Run
    Quality: Silver
    Melee | Slash
    Damage 4 | Range 1
    After attacking, you gain Step 2.
    Flavor Text: "Its like a cat and a mice game, only that the mice have a big dagger"

("Hit and Step" bronze version will have damage 3, step1, "Hit and Dash" Gold version be damage 6, step 3)

2. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

For Hit and Run:
    Originality: ***
    Thematic Fit: *****
    Balance: *** - Right now, melee combatants rely on the fact that enemies attacking you end up next to you, so you can retaliate. A Step 1 is not a big deal - you can still Stab or use a cheap Step attack. With Step 2, there are only few cards that allow you to attack back immediately. On the other hand, 6x Dancing Cut is superior to 6x Hit and Run...

My cards:
    Jellify
    Color: Boost
    Play Effect: Attach to target. Prevent all damage from Crushing attacks. Duration 3. Keep.
    Flavor Text: "What did you do to me?"

Note: For fun and profit, this spell replaces the figurine of the target with a green jelly for the duration.

3. duking

duking Kobold

Thematic Fit: ***
    Balance: **
    Well that is kinda rock paper scissors. There is a reason we don't see anti piercing, crushing and slashing armour/buffs except nimbus in MP is cause its too frustrating to play against as warrier has no way to remove the buff and the duration is far too long and its very situational Ie every character has armour in his deck not every charactor has crushing dmg.

My card:
    Burst of speed(Elves skill card)
    Quality:Gold
    Colour : Hybrid Blue/orange
    Play Effect:Move 4
    Effect: Add step 2 and cantrip to your next melee attack
    Flavor Text: "Don't blink"

Edit: i think i didn't explain it properly its a hybrid card and it work like all out attack so its either move 4 or on your next attack add step 2 and cantrip keep=no

4. VNSAramaki

VNSAramaki Mushroom Warrior

Originality: ****
    Balance: *

Too OP. The card give you a chance to sneak a Mighty Hack in your opponent back, and it even adds Cantrip ? The card itself would worth at least Amethyst and be a NPC-only card. Beside, it will power up all step attack for a great amount too since effects like this will stack.

5. duking

duking Kobold

Well i would say that while it is better then Quick Run that is not exactly a commonly used card. Also since it is an elf trait there would at most be one in your deck and you will have to sacrificeSlippery ,Pathfinding,Elvish Insight and if he has a block you just wasted 2 cards. Perhaps the step 2 is too much, a nerf to step 1 would definitely make the card much less powerful as that is "merely" spear range hacks at the cost of 2 cards. Lastly there is a build problem as if you wish to use this card optimally you have to use elf warrior which has 25 hp thats is 2 good hits and she is dead. This is why they almost always stack parry this means if the elf warrior runs this they will not have a follow up attack card most of the time and if they go full offence then surely they have to be rewarded sometimes if they could pull off a burst kill.

6. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

(Jellify)
    The game is not just MP... this card is mainly aimed at SP missions and general fun value. That said, it's perfectly fine to have a card in your deck that's only effective against certain attacks. Cleansing Ray still exists even though only a few opponents rely on terrain effects.

And don't forget that crushing damage is found on many mage staffs and divine weapons. You don't see it on warriors so much because at the moment Bash sucks compared to the alternatives, but that's a different topic. Things will shift as the game evolves.

Adding to what VNSAramaki already said, there is also the problem of how to implement this card. After you move, the card is discarded. It would have to be attached to the PC to wait for the next melee attack card or something. You could make it a hybrid card that is either a move 4 or an add Step + Cantrip, a bit like All Out Attack (maybe that was intended?) It would still be top gold. But maybe that works because you can only get one on a racial skill, where it competes with Dwarven War Cry.

I like this one and give it 5 stars in all categories. It's a new, interesting effect, straightforward, and plays with the elements of CH in a creative way. It's also more tricky than it looks, as it will discard your standard move card. Ouch.

7. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

My entry:
    Name: Axedancer
    Rarity: Uncommon
    Color Class: Boost
    Play effect 1: Trait. Attach this card to yourself.
    Duration: 3
    Reaction 1: Add Step 1 to any Chop you play.
    Keep: Yes
    Flavor Text: "Elven agility with the axe remains a mystery considering that they have never been seen to raise one against a tree"

I hate it when I have a hand full of chops but can't get into position to hack two opponents. Therefore, this card.

8. VNSAramaki

Simplicity: ******
    Balance: ****

I think Duration 2 would be more balance.

9. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

@VNS Aramaki - Lust
    Originality: *****
    Thematic Fit: *** - I'll leave it to the reader's imagination why my elf wizard wants to move next to the festering zombie under the effect of this card...
    Balance: ** - This card isn't much of a drawback as long as you keep your party together. In case of a warrior, you usually move him next to an enemy on purpose.

My card:
    Spellthief
    Quality: Gold
    Color Class: Attack
    Attack Type: Magic
    Range: 5
    Play effect 1: Remove the oldest magic card from target's hand and place it in your hand.

10. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

i do like spellthief
    Balance: ****

Spontaneous Combustion
    Rarity: Rare
    Play effect 1: Trait. Attach this card to yourself. You take 10 unprevented dmg
    Duration: 3
    Effect 1: If you die, all enemys on a 2 square range take 20 unprevented fire dmg
    Flavor Text: "Burn babe Burn"

imagine the shenanigans with ww/wwe

11. VNSAramaki

Balance: *

There are cards similar to this in game (the different is they don't do damage to their owner), and they all deal damage to every characters, not only enemies. That, and the fact that 20 unpreventable damage would kill an elf wizard with full health and leave an elf priest with 1 HP makes this card extremely OP.

12. actionjack

actionjack Mushroom Warrior

Simplicity: ****
    Balance: *****

I like it, seem like a pile-and dump hit card. One issue.. is the target that take the damage, or the caster? (if it is the caster, than just a weaker version of Purge, but if the target, it make much more sense.

================================

Tease
    Attack Type: Curse
    Range: 4
    When target play a attack card not targeting the caster, they must discard their oldest card, or take 4 unpreventable damages. Duration 2.
    "What you said about my mother?!?"

(a tweak version might also just have the discard, or just the damage)

13. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Tease
    Attack Type: Curse
    When target play a attack card not targeting the caster, they must discard their oldest card, or take 4 unpreventable damages. Duration 2.
    "What you said about my mother?!?"

its interesting, but what happens if target was no more cards? takes the 4 dmg or just discard what he haves,this case nothing?

---------

Scrapy Armor
    Quality: silver
    Rarity: uncomon
    Armor 1 (roll 6)
    ---
    every time a charater dies increase the armor by 1 and decrease the roll by 1 ( to a max of 6 armor, so it could be used in sp too)

Every scrap has it uses

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Re: Time Vortex
    Doesn't it hit all characters?

15. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

@actionjack: Tease is interesting. Card Hunter could use some D&D 4E-style defender mechanics, where the target has the choice of either attacking the warrior (who'd have more hp and armors or blocks up) or attack another PC at a penalty.

I like the idea of the PC picking up scraps of armor from fallen enemies, so originality 4 stars. However, like other cards this collides with the restriction that there are no counters on cards (other than duration). Unless BM want to implement such functionality, the card will have to work differently. My first idea would be to add a card draw, but these have their own problems.

My entry:
    Immolate
    Damage Type: Fire
    Range: 2
    Damage: 10
    Reaction 1: Other fire attacks you play deal 1 point extra damage. Keep.

The game is missing a nice short range, heavy damage fire spell, so here is one. I've added the bonus damage to fire spells to encourage thematic deck building.

Flaxative likes this.
  16. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

Quick Swap
    Switch places with an adjacent ally
    Take another move

Teleporting Swap
    Switch places with an ally
    Range 3

Obviously there could be a whole 'range' of possibilities in either series. The first is more of a warrior card, the second more suited to a wizard, I think. The cards have a lot of potential uses, like getting in some extra attacks, or getting an ally - or yourself - out of a dangerous spot.

I thought of this just now when discussing Mauve Manticore - I wouldn't mind having a swap option in #2!

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Martin, I like your fire spell. It should be a hybrid attack/boost though.

Reflexive Spark
    Color Class: Hybrid (Attack/Boost)
    Damage Type: Electric
    Damage: 3
    Reaction 1: When targeted by an enemy attack from the front within 4 squares, Reflexive Spark deals 3 electric damage to your attacker.
    Chance: 33%

(The idea is an electric equivalent of Reflexive Teleport. It could probably be a one-of on some high-level epic or legendary robes, to supplement fringe spark-based builds.)

18. Sir Chaotick

Sir Chaotick Kobold

Let's see...
    Simplicity: ****
    Thematic fit: ****
    Balance: 3*/2
    I certainly like the idea, but it seems rather weak for what it does. Short Spark is just bronze (and a weak bronze at that, compared to Powerful Spark), and on average, this adds just a single electric damage to people attacking from the front. There's perks, of course, but it would still be better as a Silver. More variety in the electric department would be nice, though, and this would provide a bit.
    I'll toss in my own electric attack:

Violent Overcharge
    Quality: Gold (Silver?)
    Color Class: Hybrid (Attack/Boost)
    Damage Type: Electric
    Range: 3
    Attack: 8
    Effect 1: At the start of your round, deal 3 electric damage to yourself and all adjacent creatures. Keep.

It seemed like a nice idea to have an attack that's a bit too strong to control properly.

19. Originality: ****
    Simplicity: ***
    Thematic fit: ***
    Balance: **
    Seems only very useful for dwarf mages. Add encumber to that and it would add a few stars.

Pusillanimous Strike
    Quality: Silver.
    Rarity: Uncommon.
    Color Class: Attack.
    Damage Type: Melee Crushing.
    Range: 1
    Attack: 5
    Effect: If damage is dealt, step 2. If blocked, encumber 1.

Something that could be fun as an inverse lunging attack.

20. Sir Chaotick

Sir Chaotick Kobold

Encumber? As in, encumber oneself? I suppose that could work, although that doesn't seem to make much thematic sense.

Simplicity: ***
    Thematic fit: *****
    Balance: *** + ?
    It looks pretty good! Although I must ask how the encumber works. Who is encumbered, and for how long?

Relentless Assault
    Colour Class: Attack
    Damage Type: Melee Slashing
    Range: 1
    Attack: 4
    Effect 1: If this attack does not deal at least 4 damage, put it back into your hand.
    Chance: 66% (3/6)
    Flavour: "Take it like a man already!" - Vek The Vile

I quite like the idea myself, although the damage dealt or the treshold might need tweaking.