[Ranked] Copper Old Men

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Flaxative, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I've been refining this build for the last week. I started with two dwarf wizards and a dwarf priest, then moved to three dwarf wizards, and finally settled on three human wizards. The gear loadouts changed a tiny bit too, mostly on the racial front, but as an example: I used to run Cotton Wizard's Robes. After a few games, I decided that Cursed was just better for me.

So: What's the point of Copper Old Men? They do damage. I know, I know—wizards aren't supposed to do damage. That's warrior (and frenzied vampire) territory. I know that, and that's why I thought this party would be terrible. Turns out, while it probably can't compete in the highest tier, it does just fine in the 1500s. I have a 75% win rate with it after 20 games. We'll see how that holds up as I play more. It's a very fun build. I'm open to any suggestions on how to change this, and I welcome questions about why I decided to run what I'm running.

Without further ado, here're the old men.

[SRC] Hammyman
    Level 18 Human Wizard

[SRC] PaladinGP
    Level 12 Human Wizard

[SRC] Jacques
    Level 12 Human Wizard

2. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

You should try Blasting Rod and maybe Arcane Crown. The range of Force Bolt/Blast combined with the slide allows you to deal damage from a safe (>2!) distance while keeping enemies at bay. Another good tech is Destructive Wand. Dissolve Armor has amazing range!
    Also, I absolutely love Locket of the Gale. Having extra Winds of War is never a bad thing!
    Ulalia's Boots and Advanced Flexibility work well for me. You can discard crap you don't need like Ember Spray/Zap/Officer's Harness (sometimes Run!) and draw new cards.

Fireblinker Initiate? Shouldn't you put that on the guy with Staff of Winter instead of your guy with the Mindsplinter?

Cotton VS cursed is interesting. I suppose that Brain Burn should seldom hurt but it could remove Arcane Aura.

Here is how I look at the decktype:
    (majortoken)(majortoken)
    Staff Of Blazing Sparks
    Deadly, Deadly Staff
    (majortoken)(minortoken)
    Chillwood Staff
    Mindsplinter Staff
    Mighty Sparkping Staff
    Also: Staff of winter/of the Arctic/Frosty Staff

Staff Of Pain(minortoken)(minortoken)
    Silver Fir Staff(minortoken)
    Trembling Staff()
    Pick what you like...and have!
    ()
    Arcane Crown
    Blasting Rod
    Copper Zapping Wand
    (minortoken)
    Destructive Wand
    Locket Of The Gale
    Hylithia's Wand/Hasek's Icy Ring(Anything good with Cone of Cold)

Robe Of Lightness () Hehe... maybe on one character?
    Cursed Wizard's Robes /Cotton Wizard's Robes(minortoken)
    Robe Of White Wylla(majortoken)

Mouse Boots () (Flanking Move X2)
    Ulalia's Boots(minortoken)
    Xander's Boots(majortoken)

Electroporter Novice ()
    Focused Electomancy(minortoken)
    Superb Electromancy(majortoken)

Advanced Flexibility
    Inspired Command
    Perfect Command may be ideal for this team; although if I had Perilous Agility I would certainly have an elf.

How you build the deck is dependant on the person and the items they have...Also it is worth noting that Flash of Pain is dangerous to allies, and Volcano is good when your opponent is using all of their movement to stay out of range/get close enough to attack.... and Flanking Move is your friend!

3. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

There are maybe 2 squares of interest that you can hit at range 9-10 on all boards presently in rotation. :p

4. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

8 range, 10 range, what's the difference? It still has amazing range. That's part of why Frost Jolt is so good.

5. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I tried out a pauper's version, since I don't have 3x Xander's Boots or 3x Inspired Command. I also went heavy on ember burst rather than frost jolt (because I don't like encumber), and used runestone rather than greenstone (because the day I play a whirl is the day I shut down my account). I think I'm also going to blacklist SPR after my experience of playing with it.

It was fun to try out a different style of play, but it was very susceptible to a warrior rush and firestorm. I rarely managed to deal large quantities of damage, and usually lost to a combination of capture points and 1 or 2 kills. Your version most certainly works a lot better.

6. kogi

kogi Ogre

Have you considered adding acid? Acid Spray and Acid Jet can stall a warrior pretty good. Plus armor shedding is a bonus

7. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Welp, I managed to tank my rating -200 points, so I think I've exhausted this build. It's neat when you get a fistful of Oblit Spark and Arcane Aura (happened once, it was fun), but most of the time you just get a pair of warriors sprinting into your face and bludgeoning you to death.

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I haven't had trouble with armor yet, and Blasting Rod decreases my average damage a bit too much for my liking. I'll try these items out if I sense the end of my build's rope on the horizon, they're definitely good options for if and when I tweak things.
    I hate the fire cones, and what would you cut for it? Greenstone Pendant? Axander's?
    I don't like drawing Slowed. Ever. I've talked about this in other threads.

The guy with the Mindsplinter doesn't have Staff of Winter, so I wanted him to be the one to carry my Chunk of Ice. Hence him not having the major token for Superb Electromancy, and being the perfect candidate for Fireblinker Initiate.

So—
    You dislike encumber
    You dislike whirls
    You dislike discard

What about wizards do you like? :) I'm kidding, I agree with you on all those points in principle but I feel I'm already going rogue enough by running 3x Arcane Aura and 8x Big Zap on each of my toons. I definitely feel like I'm not just spamming broken cards (note that I chose items with Big Zaps, even for WWE and SPR), but obviously you are welcome to disagree. Not sure Xander's Boots are particularly great; could switch to something with real armor (Kerrick's/Quellic's) or more movement (anything), possibly at lower token cost. I just happen to be going 'all in' on this.

Anyway, yeah, the build is a bit weak vs. rush warriors (especially if they're dwarves with nimble strikes). I haven't had too much issue with firestorm yet because I can usually get line of sight and unload damage on the enemy (which makes fs harder to play). Of course, it depends on my draw and the map.

Neat idea. Maybe I'll try running some acid instead of WWE/SPR on one of my dudes. Is there any super good acid staff?

I can see that happening, especially with no encumber. Hope you don't begrudge me the rating points! :)

9. lulz those character names

Flaxative likes this.
  10. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

I still think one of them should be PilgrimBailey

Flaxative likes this.
  11. kogi

kogi Ogre

12. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Oh yes, I also wanted to report that I was using a single copy of Advanced Battlefield Training, and I was pleasantly surprised at its utility. I could toss around spells to whichever character had line-of-sight or even stack an extra Arcane Aura (15 dmg hits from a wizard!).

Flaxative and Sir Veza like this.
  13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'd have to downgrade my class or racial skill in order to use the Sour Staff, but I might give it a shot on one of my guys.

14. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

After my defeat today I came to see your build, I hadn't realize about the names lol. Thanks for the tribute! Anyway, nice job (one more and counting) with this build! Now I understand your Big Zap taste, it was a killing machine today.

Flaxative likes this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks Jacques! I think I got pretty lucky that you didn't just obliterate me with nimble strikes though :)

16. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Nah, I have only 1 lochaber and 1 nifty, so it's 3 NS in one warrior and 2 in the other one. It's not much. Not at least to avoid some bad draws like the first two rounds. But you won fair and square :)

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I did my due diligence and tried to run this build with some acid/armor removal thrown in. The build felt less consistent and I lost a lot of games. I'm switching back to what's posted in the OP. :)

Jacques likes this.
  18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Update: I swapped out a wizard for my vanilla drawbot, and it made things a lot better (at least at the 1300-1400 level). I can regularly draw into the attacks I need, and stack as many auras as possible.

edit: Presently 8 wins out of 8 played, excluding 3 auto-resigns to WW. Back above 1400.
    edit 2: I just drew the most awesome hand evar: 2x Arcane Aura + 3x Oblit Spark :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Flaxative likes this.
  19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I hadn't used this build at all since balance changes... until yesterday. Now it's 6-2, probably thanks in part to the fact that the Halloween rotation is very kind to wizards. My two losses were extremely close—but so were my victories. In general, this build lends itself to the kind of nail-biting positioningfest that I love playing in Card Hunter. It's probably long-term viable in the 1500-1600 bracket. Note that many of the legendaries could easily be replaced with lower rarity items without compromising the build too much: Aloysi's Ring can become another Blasting Amulet easily; Robes of White Wylla aren't necessarily better than Greenhide Robes; etc.. That said, it's true that this build is rolling in money. Without further ado, I present to you:

Copper Older Men

[​IMG]

@Hammyman is the heaviest hitter, packing 5 Obliterating Sparks and three different ways to buff their damage. Blasting Amulet lets me deal damage while also controlling position, and Flanking Moves help me set up my game. Penetrating Zap is my sad card here, but Penetrating has actually been surprisingly relevant! You'll notice that now that Trembling Staff sucks I'm using more major tokens on my staves, and that translates to worse racial skills. It's okay, though: I'm actually far more consistent now than I was when I was drawing Shuffle, Team! and Weak Parry (no matter how often I joked about the latter being my secret tech).

[​IMG]

@PaladinGP is a bit confused. He's mostly linear attacks and terrain, which isn't the best combo in the world, but he does serious work. Definitely the least focused of my old men, he's clearly my weakest link. I want to give him more damaging attacks, but the control effects are useful too. Maybe Malachite Orb?

[​IMG]

You've noticed, no doubt, the conspicuous lack of any Copper Zapping Wands. Yeah, I'm a sellout. But hey: these are the same old men, and they're doing the same basic thing, which is damage. Except for @Jacques, I guess. He's basically overclocked control all the way. I'm loving Yoloxl's for the Gusts Of War and Illusory Barrier. 10 Gusts and Sliding Boots help me create the board position I want to see, repositioning my allies and enemies for better lines of sight (or lack thereof). Of course, I sometimes get some dud hands with a ton of Little Zaps and Jumpsparks... but hey, that's how it goes. Does anyone else see a way to improve my control game on this character?

Playing this build is pretty straightforward. Try to get line of sight to melee characters; try to stay out of line of sight from ranged characters. Use TK and Gusts to set up maximum damage from linear attacks. Use the third old man's damaging attacks first, because he's always Squeamish. You have a surplus of positioning cards on many turns, so don't hesitate to Gusts yourself onto victory squares. Flanking Move to get priority at the end of a round is often good even if you don't have a follow-up in hand; you want sente as often as possible because you're incredibly squishy. (These wizards aren't built to last.)

Happy to hear from anyone running similar builds, or to give more advice on how to pilot this comp.

Cheers!

20. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yes I can affirm one of your wins was very close! :mad:
    ;)

Melancthon and Flaxative like this.