[Ranked] Artillery Trench

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Flaxative, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hey everyone! I've not posted any decklists in a while, so I figure I'll share a bit of my fun. After I took my turn with a custom strain of 3DC back before AotA, got 20 wins in a row, and felt ashamed of myself, I basically stopped playing for rating. Which isn't to say I don't try to win: I do! But I run experimental builds and other fun shenanigans, rather than honing a 1700+ powerhouse. I stay in the 1500s for the most part, so my experimental builds must not suck too much.

And, now that you know this build won't 'suck too much,' here it is: my take on Blue Destruction.

Artillery Trench

[​IMG]

An inelegant mess of a support priest, Lawful Stupid (né Dink Smallwood) sits in the back for the most part, ineffectually throwing buffs on his allies. Sometimes he throws them on his enemies—Accelerated Thought and Unholy Wellspring can kill! But for the most part he tries to load the artillery. The deck is honestly kind of crap, but it works. It's the most patchwork part of this build, and it's full of disjointed legendaries. What better way to say "Aristocat Rejects" than a handful of Arrogant Armor and Unholy Energy? My least favorite part of this build is the Axe of the Dark Soul. I just picked up a Demon's Golden Blade, so I might try that on for size next. Anyway, Lawful Stupid's the least exciting part of this whole build, so let's move on.

[​IMG]

The bulkhead behind which my artillery team sits, and my point of pride in this comp. I've won a surprising number of games on single-VP maps just by parking this van in the center of the map and telling my opponent to come at me. Against melee, @Vakaz does quite well—no one expects an 8th parry, and when you add them all to my priest's Defender's Blocks you get a lot of deflection. Against ranged... well, he has to hold onto his armor and hope that the rest of the team can take out the threats. The role here is pretty clear, I think: run forward, propelled by Team Runs, get in the way of whatever it is the opponent is trying to do, and act as a living shield for...

[​IMG]

Falcor is simple. Falcor doesn't pretend to be sophisticated. He's not really a wizard, at all: just a cannon, pointed at my opponents' faces. He uses burst attacks in order to hit around corners and probe multiple enemies at once. I considered going linear, with Deadly Sparks, but Falcor almost always sits behind the warrior... so being able to fire over him is pretty huge. Armorbane Pendants give me answers to armor while also cycling, at no token cost, which is pretty great. It lets me dump all my tokens on my damage, movement, and armor: Reliable Mail serves a triple purpose in this build, defending against my own Wellsprings and Unholy Energies in addition to protecting me against enemy damage. Fire is my weak point, but hey, this build would be pretty silly if my cannon were immune to Fireball, so why not be extra susceptible to it?

The almost total lack of control here is a bit insane, but for the most part the warrior holds down the fort.

I know Savage Curse/Wellspring + Burst attacks is a pretty popular synergy, and I don't pretend to be innovating too much on that front. But I do like my item choices for the warrior and wizard, and would gladly discuss further.

Cheers!

wavy and CT5 like this.
  2. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Flax, I think I recall a game we had at some point where I camped out the victory point for a few rounds with my last character and still somehow won... which makes that dwarf even more humorous :p

CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  3. Melancthon

Melancthon Ogre

Forget success rate, Falcor has the coolest LOOKING load-out I've ever seen. Just look at those cards all lined up. So sweet!

Flaxative likes this.
  4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

If it's lots of identical cards you want, my Chopaholic may interest you:

choppy.png

Accent and CT5 like this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yep! I really like naming my characters after other players :)

Just wait till I get my second Blue Destruction...

6. TeJaQuKiAce

TeJaQuKiAce Kobold

Nice deck. Seems like your counter would be priest/warriors with a lot of movement, purging bursts and war cry.

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks! War Cry would definitely hurt. I usually fall to the sort-of-mirror (pumped up fire wizards), but I imagine triple vamps would give me a lot of grief as well.

8. The Final Doorman

The Final Doorman Orc Soldier

Karen feels left out :(

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I like that none of the comments thus far discuss the technical aspects of the build at all. Good to know no one takes me seriously... and that style is still king :)

10. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

That just means your build is so perfect that it has left us speechless. Or that it's so terrible none of us know how to fix it, one of those two.

11. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Well, now that you mention it, I'm not sure if your warrior can fulfill its most important duty of killing wizards...

peonprop and Flaxative like this.
  12. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Your Dwarven tank is the exact type of build that has finally taught me I just can't kill everyone... I forget who it is but I faced off against someone enough times to recognize that I am better off just leaving the tank alone.
    I am terrible with support priests, basically I dislike builds if I am left with 1 character (such as said priest) I need to quit so I dont have any ideas to help.
    But I must commend the use of Armorbane Pendant... I recently rediscovered Memory Loss after realizing that SPR is a middling card and memory loss is a plus since the oldest card is usually one the player doesn't want to discard (great against oblit AoA builds). Obviously without the burst staves the cannon is not possible, so good for you since I have neither, but I have been inspired to think outside the box lately and while burst is not a novel idea the truly singular focus is inspiring.

Flaxative likes this.
  13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Singular focus is usually a good idea in just about any build.