Radiation Decks

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by ttsukasa, Sep 24, 2015.

1. ttsukasa

ttsukasa Mushroom Warrior

Have you guys had any good experiences with Radiation decks? I'd like this thread to be a place where we share ideas and experiences with the new radiation cards as well as post decks :D

2. Jezterscap

Jezterscap Lizardman Priest

While radiation is fun , it lacks the raw power needed to win games.
    I have been experimenting with rad sprays , entangling roots , unholy energy and accelerate time for some synergies.
    My deck is very inconsistent and far from complete as I lack certain items from the new set.

[SRC] Decoy
    Level 1 Human Priest

[SRC] GlassCannon
    Level 1 Elf Wizard

[SRC] 9Lives
    Level 1 Dwarf Wizard

QuickJon and CT5 like this.
  3. Radiation spray provided some fun on the cyberspace set of maps -- notably, on Cyberspace Arena, a priest can step forward and already be in range to lob some radiation spray at midfield to punish a first-turn run towards the VPs, say.

That said, even on an appropriate map, it's amazingly unreliable. You can inflict Trip, but you can also inflict Festering Guts. If you do inflict something like a brutal handicap at the right time... I would expect that for most people, a win through better use of your advantages and better tactics will tend to be more satisfying for the winner and less annoying for the loser than feeling that the game was decided by unusually extreme handicap generation. At this point, my radiation use is occasional in SP and my ranked build is rather conventional.

4. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

We talked about radiation spray with Peonprop, TL DR : really fun but not really competitive.
    I have no real experience with radiation bomb. I guess its hard to play without some damage buff.

5. ttsukasa

ttsukasa Mushroom Warrior

I'm not really seeing this, I know for a fact my guild master uses Rad Stray/Goo in one of his main decks (a radiation deck) and stays 1660-1720 rank.
    I'm not really asking if you think its viable or not but asking to see what decks everyone has come up with Because there are so many different deck possibilities using this theme.

Just yesterday I got destroyed by a 3 priest team using wellspring + savage curse to throw rad bombs for example. Just last night I won another match against an upper 1500 using my Rad spray deck.

So while I know it might be a bit harder to make it "viable" I'm sure its possible and i am hopeful this thread can find a stable solution :)

6. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I prefer "Guild Regent".

I've run two double priest decks those past weeks, one centered around the rad tiles and one around the rad bombs, both brought me beyond 1700. In both cases the third character is key, but my recipes are secret.
    The takeaway i can pass on to you is not to half-ass it, you need to fully commit. I decided for me not to mix bombs and tiles. Especially the goo devestates by quantity, but all in all, radiation is about disrupting enemy strategy and creating opportunities to pursue. Another aspect why it can be so strong is because people are insecure how to handle it, which might change once those decks are a more regular presence.
    (And of course, Purge gets set back on track)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Jezterscap likes this.
  7. Pyrogoth

Robauke made me realise I actually didn't try two radiation priest at the same time. I simply don't have the stuff, at all.
    We definitly need more experiment with that.

8. Pyrogoth

well, I tried to build something with two radioactive priest and a time accelerating wiz. I had to equip a Crazed Hermit's Gizmo to each of my priest because I only have 2 Glowing Gland and one The Irradiatior. But it's okay because I actually really like Push The Button so I don't feel like I'm tinkering too much.
    And indeed, having two priest vomiting their radioactive goo at the same time is pretty powerfull. Not having so much Irradiator allows me to add usefull buffs, especially a handfull of Unholy Energy for the card advantage. But I'd really like to replace Glowing Gland by The Irradiatior.
    You need some purge because you will spill some goo on your team, though this depends on the map.
    You also have to be really heavy on control on your wizard, and even with that, people with quick warriors that know how to play -wait and sprint in- (also happened against a 3 elf vampire deck) are really hard to take down.
    And, as always, handicap attached are random, so you may attach trip or fright, as well as blind rage, festering guts and mad dog to that incoming warrior.

9. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Cleansing Rays are your friend, to protect yourself or "pick the goo back up" when the enemy character had moves left after all.

10. Yxklyx

Yxklyx Mushroom Warrior

Why are Radiation decks a thing? I've been seeing them now in MP games. I thought Card Hunter was supposed to be based on D&D but it's losing the swords&sorcery feel with these radiation cards. I think they made a mistake in adding them.

11. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Pyrogoth, Inkfingers and Flaxative like this.
  12. Yxklyx

Yxklyx Mushroom Warrior

Yes, I used to own that module. It was cool for a diversion but the way this game is designed you can see these new cards in every match now. As I said, it dilutes the swords and sorcery feel of the game. My players loved the new theme back then as a change of pace but they wouldn't want to have that theme present in every adventure. I think there should be a checkbox in MP and it will only match players who both are fine with these new cards.

13. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Well, they took this step and suprised a lot of people, but in the end the additions still arrange with prior existing categories, melee and casting, or as you put it, swordplay and sorcery. I think the devs explained their tightrope walk best here: http://www.cardhunter.com/2015/07/guns-of-the-sky-citadel/

Melancthon and Flaxative like this.
  14. billiska

billiska Ogre