Race balance discussion.. Again

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by SurgeonFish, May 6, 2013.

1. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

I've been thinking specifically about card advantage and elves, and Pathfinding is a lot better than I'd thought. It's *nearly* a really great card.

I've been using it (on Wariness) to draw the Hard To Pin Down off a pair of Jumpdragger Boots, and it adds a surprising amount of survivability and consistency to a mage or cleric for a pair of no-talent items. I get two draws on my block+escape as well as elvish mobility, and because my deck only has those 2 moves in it, after I see Pathfinding, I know I won't get another movement until the deck resets, which adds a little more predictability.

The downer is that if you've seen those two moves when you pick it up, it's a dead draw. You do get a predictable deck reset, but I haven't figured out how to take advantage of that yet.

However, it would also be able to draw Surging Blast or Vicious Strike. Sadly, I haven't found any boots that don't have a move on them, and there's no item with multiple pathfinding, so I can't get any guarantee here, just a good chance.

So one suggestion to buff elves gently would be to lower the rating on pathfinding from 5/7 Great to 4/7 Good, and/or rejigger some cards so you can get at it without taking a move. If there was a card with pathfinding and no other movement cards, it would unlock another interesting option for elves.

It would also be nice if it wasn't potentially useless. Can anyone more creative than me see an abuse in keeping the pathfinding card if it didn't find any cards? Is resetting the deck every turn something that could be advantageous?

Edit: Sorry, my mistake. Frightened Scouting is one minor talent, Novice Insight (not Wariness) is no-talent, and I've been using Jumpdragger Boots, not croc skin :/

2. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

maybe turning elvish mobility to just "Team" instead of all elves would be enough.