Queued for Login, #87?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Veza, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Pathy

Pathy Orc Soldier

I was having the same problems earlier. I think it's just the overloaded server.

The worst part about this is playing games where you're winning against a good player, and then it FREEZES UP and you just know you're going to get a game loss for "inactivity"

2. Melodious85

Melodious85 Orc Soldier

Time for another upgrade ;)

3. Pathy

Pathy Orc Soldier

Is there some reason they can't let all the Single Player people play offline?

Why isn't the SP campaign available without needing to connect to the server and tax those resources?

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I locked up trying to get to the next battle screen, so I refreshed and got a queue, got disconnected, got a longer queue, might be getting in now....

5. ridgewater

ridgewater Kobold

Played 2 games today: 1 game won by disconnect, second lost due to freeze lag. Game loads VERY slow and the bar even gets struck sometimes, so I need to reload to make it go again.
    I'm playing on Kong.

6. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Because SP and MP are connected. If SP could be played offline then people could hack it and give themselves items for online play. I guess they could have a "SP only" game that doesn't allow content to go to MP, but that's a whole different story.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  7. Pathy

Pathy Orc Soldier

If the MP is done server-side then hacked clients aren't an issue. There are plenty of games with MP functionality that allow offline single-player.

The game, right now, doesn't allow your SP party to play MP, so there's really no reason to not have a separation of MP and SP in terms of server protocol.

I'm a programmer, and I've been a part of game projects where single player mode is implemented in the same product as a client-server architecture for multiplayer. It's pretty easy to do from a design standpoint.

8. Stexe

Huh? You have been playing the same Card Hunter I have, right? SP party can be played in MP... everything in SP and MP is shared. MP only auto levels your characters to 18. All items you find in SP are usable in MP and vice versa.

There is no way to have an offline mode with the current design of the game.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I've seen reports on the Steam forums of queues as long as 2000 spots in the last hour. Can anyone confirm that queues are getting long?

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I just now got in immediately (Steam client).

5,714 In-Game

11. Pathy

Pathy Orc Soldier

Here's how a client-server architecture is usually done for multiplayer video games:

- The server has a database of items/cards/chars.
    - The client has its own classes for items /cards/chars.
    - When the server listens to client requests (such as uploads of chars / parties to be used in the game), it checks the client's request against its own database.
    - If the client's information doesn't match the parameters set at the server, the client is just rejected

With this simple design, which is the design used by, say, Magic Online and other games of this ilk, even if the client is hacked (via disassembly or whatever), the server will reject invalid requests. Thus, even if a single player user is adding broken stuff to his party, his connection will not compromise the integrity of anything server-side, as long as safeguards are programmed into the server, which is relatively easy to do.

12. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I was in a queue of 2000 people yesterday afternoon but I didnt have to wait for an hour (about 5 mins)

13. Stexe

You still need to have connection to the server in that instance. MtG Online gives unlocks when you buy packs, not when you just play and win a match. How would it stop someone from saying, on their game, that they won an adventure and request a chest of items unless the server knows each step of the way what you're doing to verify that you're actually playing?

14. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

It's not a matter of architecture as much as it is a matter of security/integrity. While CH could theoretically be re-engineered to allow for some sort of offline experience (something which would require a ton of work, anyway), that'd likely involve either of the following:

1) You don't get any rewards from offline play (i.e. the server needs to be the sole authoritative source of loot/drops)

- or-

2) You can play offline, but you can't access your online-only party/collection while doing so (think Diablo 2 offline modes vs online modes)

15. BlackVoidDeath

I agree with @Stexe and @Bandreus that it is not possible - we have had this discussion before.
    Dont get me wrong, I wish we could play offline and then use those items we gathered in MP later but we have had this discussion before (I was the one who brought it up) and I have been explained to that playing SP offline because of hackers will not be happening in the near future. (especially with the wave of steam players, who knows how many of them have tried to hack this game already)
    Note: The last statement is backed by me seeing a newb with all their characters having foil costumes (they were either hackers or had paid lots of money) (No I didnt fight them I was just spectating newbs recently and saw that)

16. hwango

hwango Hydra

Haha, yes, certainly. Don't get me wrong, I was delighted to see that things were going to improve for the future (and they have). There was just this little moment of "Yay, I'm finally in! I'm playing Card Hunter! ...which is going to shut down in 15 minutes. =P"

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  17. BlackVoidDeath

Is the server offline again?
    Or is it just me?

18. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

EDIT: wait it just went back up.

19. BlackVoidDeath

?
    Not for me - @timeracers are you sure its back up?

20. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I am confused, it said the server was on maintenance previously, but now I can go type in my username and password and then it says it's on maintenance