Questions about picking the right monster for the job.

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Aldones, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Even knowing that that exists is useful. It would lead me to conclude that the ornithopters must have a range of 3 set as their preference for a reason. Perhaps they're meant to ambush you by making you come to them? Or perhaps because they're in such an early dungeon, they're intentionally made to approach at a bad range such that a new player isn't instantly roasted by them? Either way, I suspect that this means that ornithopters aren't going to be the monster for me to use in this custom battle unless I figure out a way to force them to stand and deliver.

2. WhiteSorcerer

WhiteSorcerer Guild Leader

I think this fragment, which i dig from this blog post here http://www.cardhunter.com/2012/05/the-ai-in-card-hunter/, explains a little:

Tweaking behavior

Sometimes, it is very hard for the AI to know what action is best. Say you have a monster that can both heal and attack. Should that monster stay in the back and heal his allies, or should he be on the front lines, swinging away at his enemies? It really depends on how you want the fight to play out, which is really the scenario designer’s decision to make.
    This is why most games give designers a lot of ways to modify an AI’s behavior in the encounter. In Card Hunter, designers can tag AI monsters with a number of pre-defined labels, each of which will influence the AI’s decisions in some way. For example, we have the “healer” tag: When applied to an AI, this AI will change his board evaluation to favor those squares from which he is in healing range of his allies. Tags are generally added when a designer wants achieve some play experience in a map that is hard to achieve with the AI’s default behavior. The designer will then make a request from the AI programmer. Yep, sometimes even AI programmers have to interact with other humans!"

I think that we should be able to make use of this labels too, as custom designers

Aldones likes this.
  3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Generally, attack distance is set based on the range of the attack cards the mob has. It's possible some mobs suffer from being at the "wrong" rage, but I don't recall the ornihopters behaving in the way you describe. They do however have an issue with using Buzzsaw, as it's only played when opponents have armour cards revealed.