Question of Principle

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sisquinanamook, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Sisquinanamook

Sisquinanamook Orc Soldier

Hey there,

so, I have a question of Principle regarding my current dwarf team.

I am sure there is not "the" answer and some of you may call me a bit old fashioned or that I'll made the whole thing harder than neccessary. To make it short: I agree but I like it that way :p

Ok, so I have this pure dwarf team (as well as pure elf and pure human) and later on I want a:
    - vampire priest
    - fire wizard
    - "strong output" warrior

There is no way reasoning me out of this. ;)

At this point (level 10 - 12) I am not sure which weapon I should choose for my warrior:
    Either the Axe or the Club.
    in a question of principle I should take the Axe because for me a Dwarf should yield an Axe. But on the other hand I have seen some real nice club cards. It seems for me that most cards regarding "bash" add +2 to dmg and cards regarding "chop" only add +1 on the same level. Also there is this problem with the skeletons and their armor, where Chop attacks won't work. On the other hand Chop is working on two targets which is maybe why there is only +1 on those cards... Ah I don't know...

You see: I am rambling on and on... but what should I do?
    Is there something I am missing? Will this +dmg change on later levels? Is there maybe an armor that works on bashing like the skeleton armor works on choping? I don't know.

I would really really like to use the Axe for my dwarven warrior. But as I am so fixated on the vampire and the fire wiz' I think I could do with some reasoning on the Club. (If this is the better choice in the end).

Help please? Pretty please? With sugar on top! :oops:

*cuddles*
    Sisquinanamook

BTW, if somebody cares:

Elven Team:
    - Holy Priest (huge heal output)
    - Shocking Wiz (Electric dmg on wide ranges)
    - Stabbing Warrior

Human Team:
    - Unholy Priest or Supporter (not sure)
    - AoE Wiz (terrain effects)
    - Dancing Warrior (step cards...)

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Just going by gamer logic, you're exactly right on the Chop thing (+1 damage for two targets). But note also that Chop and Bash damage vary another way: the "boost other cards of this same type" card for Bashes is, simply, Bash, while for Chops you have to go up to Strong Chop. Now look at your inventory:

How many total Strong Chops can you get on one character? How many Bashes? (While still having the rest of the build you want.)

If you have an obvious hole somewhere, then that gives you information.

Then, well, ask yourself about the rest of your build. With Chop, are you prepared to gather multiple enemies on your Warrior at once? With Bash, are you prepared to kill enemies at Range 2 once you've knocked them back? As I keep telling people, my Bash-and-Stab party was one of my best.

And as to the Only Bones thing, do you want "spoilers" about upcoming enemy strengths and weaknesses? It's easy to answer your question, I just want to be sure. You've probably already seen the answer on these forums, in fact.

3. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

If you like the idea of using an axe, feel free to do so. In the few missions where slashing damage doesn't quite cut it even a fire wizard can easily include a few acid attacks, Boiling Armor or other discard type cards. Without Only Bones in hand the skeletons are again quite vulnerable to chops.

I've often won fights with completely 'wrong' equipment anyway when I've forgotten to change gear before entering an adventure. It just makes winning more fun :)

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

There is an armor that blocks all crushing damage, and you should have seen it at levels 4, 10, and 12.

5. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Much later there is one that blocks piercing, too. Having variety helps, and stacking your gear on a per-adventure basis to beat the local wildlife is the name of the game.

6. Sisquinanamook

Hey :D

thanks for the answers so far.

@Aldones: I try to have a Character for each of the (at least for me) more interesting builds. So I can change the Character before an Adventure and not the Gear. ;)

@Kalin: I really cannot remember the armor that blocks all crushing damage, but maybe I was not so close looking the last battles... (playing at work is not the best idea if you want to play "thoughtful" ^^)

@Zalminen: Like you said "it makes winning more fun". It's one of the reasons why I choose to play the way I play right now. I like challenges and when "using wrong equipment" is one of those "private" challenges... well then this is it. ;) I'll see if I can get some Boiling Armor in my Deck.

@Sir Knight: I think "spoilers" are fine by me. One reason why I started this thread was because I have seen some nice items with Strong Chop in the Store and because of this I was considering changing from Bash to Chop. :) Gathering multiple enemies at once is not that much of a problem I believe... I mean in the end Dwarfs have much HP. And no: I am not prepared to kill Enemies at range with my pure dwarven team in lack of moving cards. But in my stubborn mind Dwarfs don't need to walk very far. And I should really really not look at my inventory... there is maybe less than half of a build right now... I am still collecting cards. ;)

Ok I think I'll buy one of those cards:
    Advanced Chopping
    Trained Slicing
    Frenzied Slicing

This weapon:
    Hefty Chopper

And those boots:
    Mazarine Boots

In the end Axes are the only real weapon for Dwarfs :p

Thanks so far!
    *cuddles*
    Sisquinanamook

7. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I think your warrior has to keep his options open, as there are enemies that are strongly immune to various attacks. It is a less critical issue for wizard and priest.

I assume you are talking about SP. I should assume that in MP chops are weak as there are a max of three opponents, and if they see you carrying chops they will always be three squares apart!

8. Sir Knight

Maybe, maybe, if your opponents are TRYING to avoid being Chopped. They have to be devoted to a "sparse" formation. If they're in any way melee-focused and trying to hold a cluster of Victory Squares (any map with four in the center), your opponents have an uncomfortable decision to make.

9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

True, but that formation will also protect against Wall Of Fire and Ember Burst, which are common in MP.

10. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

"Choppers" in multiplayer are pretty easy to deal with, if you are running a multiple warrior setup with good maneuverability. Simply engage with each warrior in sequence (rather than in tandem, as per usual) to force the chopper to either use his attacks against your single warrior or to have his attacks sit unused in hand while you pummel and move away (or pass after one attacker).

11. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I guess if the victory squares are clumped it might be difficult to avoid clumping your guys too.

12. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

Sure, but victory squares are more about applying pressure and less about the individual point. Giving up VP's is fine and dandy if it means taking out your opponents guys while sparing your own.

In fact, it is usually quite possible to at least stall (contest) the VP because most players, in my experience, have only one non-squishy -- meaning that they would rather not move into contact with your warrior(s) with any other character.

13. Sir Knight

Right, and there we get into the counter-and-counter-and-counter strategy that goes into a game like this. Which is awesome.

And my point, simply, was that Chop cards "counter" those people who cluster up.

14. Sisquinanamook

:D Woohoo!

I finally got through the first adventure of the "temple of scales" module.
    Had absolutely no chance with my level 12 elven team - and I tried like 15x times - I dont' know.

But my level 10 dwarven team rocked the show! I used "Chop" for my Warrior. Admittedly I had to change the Wizards gear from Fire to electric which I tried to avoid so far. But at some point even my "need of challenges" is satisfied ;)

Only used this thread to say thanks for the help.
    I think there was a thread somewhere in which you simply could say "Woohoo I did it!" - but I haven't found it. So sorry for the bit Off-Topic in this Thread.

*cuddles*
    Sisquinanamook

Aiven and Zalminen like this.