Question about game structure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freejon, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Freejon

Freejon Kobold

So I see the art style for this game is inspired by old school AD&D modules. My question is, will the adventure structure, story, and writing draw from the same?
    As someone who grew up playing AD&D in the early 80's I certainly hope it does. I love flipping through my old modules and reminiscing about the old adventures I had. It would be great if this game can recreate some of that.

2. Olothontor

Olothontor Kobold

While it would be awesome, I feel like there's only so much material you can rip whole-hog from AD&D, D&D, Pathfinder... I'm almost positive that there will be a lot of that influence, but I wouldn't hold my hopes out for the entire game to be so nostalgic.

3. Freejon

Freejon Kobold

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about game mechanics. I understand that they are a hybrid with many different influences. I'm taking about story and the way the story is told. Anyone who's play the old AD&D modules probably knows what I'm talking about. There a kind of cool campy quality about them.

4. Olothontor

Olothontor Kobold

Oh, certainly! I completely understand.

Blu Manchu has indicated a couple of times that the singleplayer portion of the game will be fairly large, so I'm certain there's some sort of overarching plot... not sure where they'd be pulling their influence for that from, though. I suppose we'll see, after all you may have completely different experiences with AD&D. Even while we're on the same page, we may not be talking about the same thing, hahaha.

I guess I'm just rambling for the sake of rambling. Nevermind me.

5. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Maybe we're just a set of cool campy players? :rolleyes:

6. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

The short answer is "yes"!

The longer answer is, we'll be trying to recreate that old school fantasy role-playing feel throughout the game. The next dev diary should start to talk about some of the meta-structure and I'll have some more announcements to make on this front soon.

7. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Ah, we're just on tenterhooks here, Jon!

8. Freejon

Freejon Kobold

Thanks for the response Jon.
    Just noticed on the map there's a Willingham Forest. That wouldn't be a nod to Bill Willingham would it?

9. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

You'd have to ask Ben - he drew the map. Could well be though.

As for "Gnoll's Milk" - what's that all about?!?

10. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Speaking of "old-school feel," I was listening to the Tristram music from Diablo I while reading the forum today. Totally a coincidence, but it reminded me that I still hope you've got good sound to back up the visuals and story, too.

Anyway.
    Dunno, man. I know I stole the Grue's Milk in Wishbringer, though. It messes with a whole other crowd of "old-schoolers" when I tell 'em there was a game where I did that.

11. Hopibear

Hopibear Mushroom Warrior

Lol thats a weird soundtrack to listen :p if you wanna listen to music.
    But i need to admit it suited diablo vibe very good.

12. Sir Knight

Would you care to know what percentage of my playlist is videogame music? I can't give you an exact number right now, but I've got folders and folders of the stuff. It includes creations by Mr. Lightning Bolt from the trailer, in fact, hence my interest in knowing who's going to make the music for Card Hunter.

But on the other topic, are there any folks here who know of Grue's Milk? Or any who have, at a minimum, been eaten by a Grue?

13. Olothontor

Olothontor Kobold

I have officially been eaten by a Grue before.

14. Jason

Jason Kobold

Gnoll milk? Who decided to try that? WHY would so9meone try that?

15. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Like all milk, someone must have said to themselves, "Hey, I'll pull on the udders of that beast and drink what comes out..." :eek:

16. Olothontor

Olothontor Kobold

No different than the blind monks who shepherd Cockatrices and make expensive cheese from their milk in D&D's Forgotten Realms setting.

17. Freejon

Freejon Kobold

18. Olothontor

Olothontor Kobold

You will probably be able to get into the roleplaying aspect a bit more once you have legitimate groups meeting to play the game, especially with their fan base so far.

19. Sir Knight

I'm very interested in module-like storytelling, yes, but I personally didn't expect much storytelling at all. With things like character advancement pitched as "You can play against the computer over and over to build your deck," it sounded like the game would consist of duel after duel. With such a setup, the "battle" must be inherently enjoyable: and I mean both that "The creators must make it enjoyable" and that "You will wind up focusing on how fun the battle is above all else." After all, you could read the narrative text that sets up the battle over and over, but eventually you'll just remember everything about it that you care to know.

Now, again, I love story. That's my top priority in just about anything. But it can only be incorporated in so many ways. For instance: a play map of a castle may have several small rooms in it. In a D&D module, each room will have a description. Will Card Hunter give pop-up text to describe what happens every time you move a character through a door? This would interfere with play. As such, this "Narrative between battle phases of the overall campaign" setup may be the only way that works.

Edit: Re-reading this post, I sound like a bit of a downer to me. Let me emphasize, for a third time, that I hope storytelling turns out well in this game.

20. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

The narrative of a module is mainly description: "the room seems to be 30' square and the light from your guttering torches picks out the dried blood on the rough hewn floor." That bit will be taken care of by the artwork of the map / board

The best part of the story is how the characters interact: "You, ser, killed my father and now you must pay. Draw your steel and prepare to die..." Quite how that bit works I leave for an exercise for the reader.