[PvE] Melvelous the Magnificent in the Malicious Maze

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Kalin, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Karen.png
    Alright Melvin, here's a perfectly intellectual challenge for you:

Can Melvelous the Magnificent escape the Malicious Maze in five rounds? There will be no shuffling, no dice, no points for killing enemies, nothing except pure logic.

These are the cards you will draw each round:
    1. Run, Run, Energize, Energize, Stone Spikes
    2. Run, Stone Spikes, Stone Spikes, Stone Spikes
    3. Run, Powerful Spark, Powerful Spark, Powerful Spark
    4. Run, Unholy Curse, Arcing Spark, Arcing Spark
    5. Run, Arcing Spark, Defensiveness, Defensiveness, Defensiveness, Shimmering Aura, Teleport Other

Enemies will respawn on odd numbered rounds.

Melvelous2.1.jpg

Aftermath:
    Congratulations, that was a truly magnificent analysis of the board.
    -----------------------------

This is my attempt to make a logic puzzle.

EDIT: Version 2 Version 2.1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Tricky, took some work but I figured it out. First win I had to get lucky with Defensiveness, then I ran it again and figured out how to avoid needing to win the roll.

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

How did you get past the little pond: long way or difficult way? I tried to make the long way a dead end, but Gary never moves the Men in time.

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Will PM you to not give away any secrets. :)

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Has anyone other than @Scarponi beaten this?

Version 2 uploaded in the OP. I believe I have eliminated the alternative paths (while making them more tempting :D), and added some extra tiles off the board to make the upper VS visible when it loads. If you play correctly you should always be able to win no matter what Gary does, though it is very very easy to make mistakes.

6. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

In that case I have not yet played correctly. This is tough!

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I achieved 'victory' on my second attempt, but I won on round 7, not 5. Does this mean I fail the challenge?

8. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I beat it. Dunno how, just kinda kept trying stuff until the AI behaved. If respawns choose a random location, I simply lucked out.

9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Crud, I guess I'll have to replace the pillar to stop that. When I tried doing that, one of the men ran for the finish line instead of attacking me.

The respawns aren't random, except when both spawn points are unoccupied and only one enemy is dead.

10. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Ok, then I lucked out. Soldier respawned at the upper point rather than lower.

11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Version 2.1 in OP, just a slight change to trip @Flaxative.

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.
  12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That's a pretty significant change that I think should make it impossible for me to win the way I did. Nicely done.

13. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Ok, I've got it down. There are a couple of variations in how the AI reacts on turn 3 of round 1, but both variations converge to the same state in round 3.

Kalin likes this.
  14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

@peonprop found a second solution through total domination of the AI; I don't fully understand why it works, but I can reproduce it by following his instructions. I could try to disable it, but if you're skilled enough to manipulate the AI that well, you deserve to win.

I'll submit this to MM tomorrow if no one has any other comments.

Flaxative likes this.
  15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

It's not as badass as Kalin makes it sound. If anyone wants to try it take the unobstructed path and think outside the box.