Priests too weak in combat?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Cerebral Paladin, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Cerebral Paladin

Cerebral Paladin Mushroom Warrior

So far, my priest seems to be by far the weakest combattant. With only one divine weapon slot, and many divine weapons adding non-attack spells, my priest has 3 or 4 attacks in the whole deck (a few more if you count the Misguided Heals, which can be used to finish off weak opponents). Most turns, the priest doesn't draw a single attack. This both feels a little weird--I think of priest characters as decent fighters--and can lead to really boring situations when the priest is the last PC standing and spends a ton of time running and healing, waiting for the good attack cards to come.

Are priests supposed to be almost all spells, movement, and defense, and very little offensive? Perhaps more of the low level divine charms should have offensive capabilities? Or maybe divine weapons should be more weapon-y, leaving the spells to the charms and stuff?

2. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

I do notice that my priests don't draw a whole ton of attacks, but considering the strength of the attacks it doesn't usually bother me. Most of the divine weapons i've found have bash as the minimum, with the current one i'm using having the strongest attack i've so far seen in the game. I think it makes since for the priests to mostly do healing and buffs, and be able to attack when they need to, rather than being main combatants.

3. Tess

Tess Blue Manchu

As you get your equipment, you'll start to see more options for the Priest. (There are even holy spears!) I'm sure that the designers have more they can say about this, but based on my own experiences, I have seen three ways to specialize a priest:

1.) The Holy Knight (Melee Fighter) -- This is a priest that is intended to be a second melee fighter. She holds the line, shoulder-to-shoulder with your warrior, with the wizard in the back. You can use a Dwarf, for the extra health, if you want more of an off-tank, or go with a higher mobility race, so she can rush ranged attackers, and force them to use up their move cards, so your warrior can move in. Use the warrior and priest together to flank enemies, so she can do her heaviest attacks from the rear, where they can't be blocked.
    2.) The Cardinal (Buffer) -- This priest focuses mostly on buffs, cleanses and other interesting support spells. She makes sure that her team is well-stocked with cards, so they can outlast the other side during a round, she scrubs off negative effects, and she uses cards that motivates the team to fight better. Gary seems to like this build a lot. :-D
    3.) The Saint (Healer) -- This priest is all about healing. She keeps everyone in tip-top shape, so they can keep fighting.

So, the great thing is that you can switch up the gear, and totally change how she works, before a given fight. If she's going solo into a quest, you're going to want to give her a lot of attacks, and just enough heals to keep her on her feet. If she's running with a group, you may want to mix it up some more. I use a squishy Elf warrior, so I tend to use a healer-priest, with a few other things thrown in, for when the need arises.

4. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

So there is no 4th build, the Inquisitor ? The offensive holy caster, smite thine foes with holy light, or curses of any sort ?

5. Tess

Tess Blue Manchu

I think there are some curses in there, so I bet you could do a build around that, if you had enough appropriate items. Hmm!

6. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion