Predictions for the Rogue class based on how things look in the beta

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Knight, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Squee

Squee Kobold

Maybe some cards that allow them to perform moves or skills (like pickpocking) as they move past an opponent.

2. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

I hope there's a hide in shadows card. Something like: "Attach this card to yourself. Until you cause damage to another player, you may not be targeted."

Heretiick likes this.
  3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

That right there is a better implementation of the "hiding" idea than otherwise. This game has generally avoided hiding anything on the board, e.g., by fog of war, because it means interfering with how most people play tabletop games with physical pieces: the pieces aren't invisible. But an implementation that keeps all pieces visible and uses existing rules, like a sort of reverse Taunt, could be effective.

Heretiick likes this.
  4. Maybe it would work as a trait card: While attached, If the character is adjacent to blocking terrain, they cannot be targetted. Discard this trait if the character plays an attack card.

kogi and Keyser like this.
  5. Sir Knight

That would be both logical and awesome.

6. Generica

Generica Mushroom Warrior

How about cantrip attacks? It's probably been suggested on this forum before, somewhere. Something like this:

Quick Stab
    3 damage
    1 range
    If this attack is not blocked, take another turn.

A stricter anti-stacking way to do it would be 'if this attack is from behind, take another turn'.

Idea being rogues sneak in and have opportunities to attack multiple times on their turn instead of wiping units out with 10+ damage on every attack.

7. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Generica's idea of Cantrip attack cards would work nicely, especially combined with traits that apply Stealth (enemy won't turn to face) to your attacks, and maybe a reverse Martyr Blessing (either a Trait for you draw a card when you do damage, or a spell cast on an enemy that lets anyone doing damage to them to draw a card).

A few reverse-action-order Step attacks could also do well for Rogues. I guess instead of Step call it Retreat, or just Hit & Run I suppose.

8. dmar314

dmar314 Goblin Champion

Here are some card ideas I think would be cool for rogues:

Flip attack - after this melee attack, switch places with the target. (Would set up back stabs and counter warrior camping on the single victory point).
    Ankle slice - melee attack and halt for 1 turn
    Gut punch - melee attack and stun
    Concuss - target immediately discards their oldest card (before a melee attack)
    Shed - Move all enemy controlled cards attached to you onto target. Range 3. Can play while stunned. (Any additional counters to frost spam are welcome)
    Stalk - Free move 4. This move must end adjacent to and behind an enemy.
    Lethargic dart - Target gains weak 1 and encumber 1, duration 2 (also deal damage). Range 4.
    Backstabbing - Trait. Melee attacks from behind deal 3 extra damage. Duration 3.

9. Sir Knight

Some of those are already in the game, though your variation could be interesting. Or is it your point in the first place that, by being similar, these are more likely to be implemented than some too-hopeful card ideas? In sequence:

Acrobatic Flip, which is a Block instead of an Attack.
    Tripping Sweep.
    Brains! . . . Obviously, a new version for Rogues would make sense.
    Staggering Blow.
    I agree with the need for more anti-attachment strategies, and suggested "Leave It All Behind" as something that anyone could use. I'd rather that anti-attachment stuff not be unique to Rogues.
    And then skipping to the bottom, we do have Cowardly Attack and Pickpocket. I'd really like to see more individual cards with such complexity, but wouldn't argue against a Trait.

10. Cuthawolf

Cuthawolf Kobold

After seeing Batford's Manor with its myriad of crossbow shots and thrown daggers, plus the acrobatic fighting style of the War Monkey's, I'm pretty stoked at the idea of a rogue class. I really like the idea of a class that relies heavily on positional combat, tricks and feints to force enemies to change direction so they're vulnerable to something unpleasant. Or as a different build have them focus on ranged and throwing weapons, maybe adding poison into the mix.

Also I saw someone mention the idea of placing your attacks down as Traps and I think that's a fabulous idea. Some kind of card that lets them lay an attack as a trap, consuming both cards.