Posting of Deck builds. Harmful or helpful to the metagame?

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by SuperBadShockSkag, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If you're new, you'll use junk and wish you had the items in the builds you see posted. Then you'll build based upon what you can find, which probably won't match what you intended to do. Or maybe that's just me. ;)

Jacques likes this.
  2. Ghostbrain

Ghostbrain Ogre

Sure, but I guess that's why the rating system is implemented. And that's equally good, making rag tag decks was probably the most fun I had in MP. (not that my newer decks aren't like that now either ((I'm not TERRIBLE at Mp Honest!)) (((Don't look up my contribution for the guild ever!))) ((((heres the link http://cardhuntermeta.farbs.org/guildmembers.php?name=Sorcererers&order=winrate)))) )

Sir Veza likes this.
  3. Huey Laforet

Huey Laforet Orc Soldier

I'd prefer people building their own decks base on the playing experiences rather than reading some builds on the forum and try to replicate it.

Yeah -669 contribution is pretty impressive in its own way :p

SuperBadShockSkag likes this.
  4. Ghostbrain

Ghostbrain Ogre

All I can say to that is it was very hard to suck consecutively and remain in 1300-1400 range :p.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

So would I, really. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to suppress information or control other people's behavior. I think playing someone else's idea might help in understanding it, and the concepts used to build it. The better the understanding, the better the future builds.
    In any case, people will do what people will do. ;)

CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah I don't think it's "fun" for people to just copy successful builds, but I do think that the proliferation of a successful build helps improve the environment by changing the metagame.

7. The Final Doorman

The Final Doorman Orc Soldier

Why reinvent the wheel? If another player has already come up with a strong build that you're interested in trying, why should you have to start from scratch? In my opinion, the best deckbuilders aren't the ones who come up with an original idea that nobody has played before, they're the ones that take someone else's original idea and improve it to the point of perfection. Besides, you can already piece together another player's build because the item names appear on all of the cards they play. Even if SLG didn't post her DCW build, the community would've figured it out eventually. It just would've taken longer.

8. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Plus, in the current meta we all know that you should put as many NS as you can on your party, as it's the most op card in the game. There is no secret really. Put vp or multiple lochabers on your warriors, have a priest only to cast frenzy, and you are equipped with plenty of 9 damage at 4 range. 11 damage at 4 range if you have blind rage. It's pretty ridiculous, and there is no counter to that. I hope the new cards change something...

Sir Veza, Ghostbrain and Flaxative like this.
  9. I still think it is harmful. By all means if you put in the effort of learning the top players decks through your own investigation then you should be rewarded for it through a great deck. Those who are capable of creating their own good decks should be rewarded.

What i'm saying is that alot of players simply do the old cookie cutter and they do not deserve to have a good deck or rating. In the last month i'm finding cookie cutter builds in ratings as low as 1000-1100.
    Paladin made some excellent points about it taking the fun out of the game. I can only shudder at the experience of a new player thrown into the current MP facing Nimble strike dwarves/ Control dwarves/ Firestorm decks. Their only recourse is to jump on the forums, find out exactly why they are getting slaughtered and then suprise suprise they are forced to copy them.

My other point is that it robs creativity and experimentation, I've been experimenting with new builds but it becomes frustrating losing to the same old decks.
    Flaxative's new league is a great idea at combating player dropoff but you have to ask the question why did they leave?? Sick of the same old MP at the top i'd guess.

Posting of deck builds DRASTICALLY speeds up the evolution and therefore STAGNATION of the metagame.

10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I think several cards in AotA will help with this.

Flaxative likes this.
  11. Ghostbrain

Ghostbrain Ogre

I'm only following up on your opinion because it's a perfectly valid argument. The thing is with almost all games that I've played is that once you get into a player vs player type arena, inevitably certain structures are created. When I started cardhunter I was facing so much infinite draw decks it was ridiculous (I should note that by the time my beta key turned up this was in full flux, I sat there with a Kolbold Killer as my best item). Also, there was plenty of freeze decks using the cookie cutter technique you are describing. It's interesting to me, because, whilst SLG hadn't suggested an almost perfect way of doing this, the rest of the community had easily figured that control combos worked very well.

So really what I'm saying here is for starters, any newcomer is bound to be daunted by another's experience/item's attained from time. Secondly competitive playing is a learning curve, those who follow correctly do deserve the status they gain from it. Those who innovate are most likely the ones reigning the higher elo's.

CT5, Flaxative and Sir Veza like this.
  12. The Final Doorman

The Final Doorman Orc Soldier

Why not? You can be a terrible deck builder but still be an amazing player. Some people simply don't enjoy spending hours optimizing their build and would rather focus on playing the game. In my opinion, using a copied deck doesn't detract from the validity of your victories. You're still the one piloting the deck and making all of the critical decisions in game.

For those of you familiar with Magic: The Gathering, it might surprise you to hear that the top players rarely build their own decks. Why? Because they're the top players, not the top deck builders. Generally, they have teammates who build the deck for them, teammates with superior deckbuilding abilities. But does the fact that they're playing with someone else's deck make their tournament win any less valid? Absolutely not.

Kornl, Jacques, CT5 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lizard People

Lizard People War Monkey

Dead cards in your hand is a sucky experience whether you're in SP or MP. Dead cards that are supposed to be good cards (silver+), very much more so. I can understand a reluctance for BM to nerf stronk cards if it'll deteriorate SP satisfaction, but who (MP or SP) would actually whine if infamous duds like Barge or Twin Heals got a little love?

And as before mentioned, resistance to posting winning builds in this game stems primarily from the perception that there are so many dud cards/items out there that a strong deck is a genuinely scarce article, so if you stumble upon one you'd better protect and cherish it like it's your firstborn. Better balance would ameliorate the issue. If every card actually did what it was valued to do, legitimate item choices/combos would shoot through the roof. A winning build would cease to be a scarce commodity and people would be excited to show how their cool new decks measure up against the large, large assortment of other strong decks already out there in the meta... instead of hoarding it like a pizza crust in a famine.

Flaxative likes this.