[Possible BUG] shredding strike VS Toughness and Inspiring Armor.

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Haxzploid, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

I don't know if this is a bug or a fail description.

Hixy shreds Lizk Card-Caller
    Lizk Card-Caller toughs it out!
    Lizk Card-Caller discarded Toughness.
    Lizk Card-Caller and her closest ally are inspired!
    Lizk Card-Caller discarded Inspiring Armor.
    Lizk Card-Caller took 6 Slashing damage.

No cards were drawn in the process. It's clear to me that a card should have been drawn when Toughness activated. Otherwise the description of Toughness should be changed to match the description of Inspiring Armor that says: "IF damage is prevented.. bla bla.. draw a card" But it does not, it just says "Draw a card"

Shredding strike cancels the effect of Inspiring Armor, since it says "that armor does NOT prevent damage"

2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm, Parry doesn't draw a card whenever it rolls. Its only when you successfully block a melee attack, Parry gets discarded and a new card is drawn. By similar regard, Toughness is not a default draw whenever activated. It has to prevent damage in order to draw a card. The entire effect is treated as a whole, not separatedly defined.

3. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

"... and is discarded." It looks to me like Shredding Strike should discard Toughness before any of its rule text comes in to play, including the "Draw a card" part. This also appears to be exactly what is happening, so I'd say neither bug nor fail description.

Edit: Although I guess you could argue that my interpretation makes the "that armor does not prevent damage" line redundant. Maybe it would be made clearer with a little rewording.

4. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Maybe something like "any armor that activates is immediately discarded without preventing any damage or triggering any effects".

Or just add an immediately and don't go into details as that word always takes precedence and cancels effects in other cases?

karadoc and Haxzploid like this.
  5. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

I disagree.

A block card becomes "active" when you are targeted by an attack. An armor becomes "active" when you are about to take damage. That is the difference between Parry and Toughness. (not the roll required)

The fact that Parry requires a roll for the text on the card to take effect, has little to do with this situation. Toughness works like any other armor, imagine it having a hidden 1+ roll required for it to do what's written on the card.

The real question is, what takes effect first. Does Shredding Strike discard Toughness before Toughness activates it's second effect and draws a card?

Yeah but not quite. Keep in mind Shredding Strike will only discard an armor if the armor prevents damage. This means the first part of toughness must apply (and be canceled by Shredding Strike) Question is if Shredding strike should discard Toughness before the draw effect takes place. It doesn't really make sense to me. If the wording on Toughness was more like Inspiring Armor then yes! I saw an earlier post where Toughness allowed a player to draw a second armor only to have it shattered by Shredding Strike as well. I guess something has changed. Question is if the change is intentional or not. :)

https://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/shredding-strike-vs-toughness.2093/

6. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Yeah that would make things more clear.

7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm, I think there has been a misunderstanding somewhere. In the link you quoted, RattyZ's Toughness didn't draw a second armor. He had 3 armors in hand when SS hit. Two of which triggersucceed and 1 triggerfail (if toughness successfully drew a card, the log would show a card draw).

8. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Tbh i didn't check the log. I looked at what he said. "Toughness is used, Draw another Armor." But i guess he meant something completely different.

9. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I have no idea how the game mechanics are actually handled, but I interpreted it as follows:

For each armour card: would the armour prevent damage (roll for Chance effects as necessary)? If yes, discard the card and ignore all rule text including Armor.

The rule text on the armour card doesn't actually activate at any point (the damage reduction is never applied), it is simply assessed. Therefore, the "Draw a card" text on Toughness doesn't come into play before it is discarded.

That's just how it works in my head, I don't know if this is correct and it could definitely be made clearer. Pengu1n's suggestion of adding "immediately" to Shedding Strike is a good one, assuming that it is currently working as intended.

10. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I agree that with the current wording of Toughness and Shredding Strike it seems that a card should be drawn even though the damage wasn't prevented.

If Shredding Strike really is intended to prevent all effects of the armour, not just the damage reduction, then it should probably be reworded to say so. Or alternatively, is shredding strike is only meant to cancel the damage reduction - as the current text implies - then either Toughness should be reworded or the interaction between the two cards should be changed.