Please Help - Chamber of the Garnet Demon Portal

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Dave, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Dave

Dave Kobold

Hi all,

I'm having a terrible time with Chamber of the Garnet Demon Portal. Map below:

[​IMG]

I tried it with the standard warrior, mage, priest config but my warrior would get eaten up in seconds so that didnt work. I then levelled another mage so am now in there with:

Human Mage
    Human Priest
    Elf Mage

The only strat that seems to make any sense is moving the priest back one into the middle of the 3 squares there for heals, then moving both mages diagonally forward one then wailing on whatever comes into my range but i just keep dying.

I've done this countless times and am about to throw in the towel. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

2. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion

I don't remember those minis at all...
    But my general approach was to go along the side, and try to wipe out a couple FAST. They lose potency when ever 1 or 2 draw 1/2 as many cards.

3. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I play with the 2 mage/1 priest team as well.

For this map, I think armor is key. For mages that can often mean boots with good armor and some robes. Whomever draws armor to begin with can run out first drawing most of the attacks, you than heal them back up and focus your attacks trying to drop a sprite or two a turn. If you don't get a good draw the first turn, just stay in cover and improve your hands for the next turn.

I was using fire mages as I recall. The sprites don't use much armor, so the damage from fire spells adds up quickly. They like to cluster up around the victory squares too, so you can also try to hit multiple targets (if you have items with appropriate cards).

My priest was more or less fully dedicated to healing. You have a number of power tokens by this point, dedicate them to good healing items and armor.

4. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

I'm not clear on why having mages would be preferable, especially not a flimsy-as-tissue elf mage. It's pretty tight quarters in the center there with lots of blocking terrain - you can make the imps come to your warrior, just use a lot of lunging attacks and range two attacks to maintain your mobility. Reliable mail makes you immune to burning effects, as long as you don't get caught in the acid (that's the biggest danger, losing your armor).

Not that mages are useless - WWE is great for this sort of battle, usually drops an imp or two right where you can swat them. Warriors are tougher though, and can dish out a lot more damage than mages as long as you can close with the imps.

5. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I don't think I used any special tactics to beat that fight and I had the standard fighter/priest/wizard party.
    The sprites don't really have any protective cards and they die pretty fast once you hit them. And thanks to the VP squares the enemies can't really keep away from you that well either.

So yes: armor, lava, fast moves and heavy damage would be my suggestions. I rarely bother with healing.

Here's that particular fight from my beta diary:
    https://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/zalminens-beta-diary.608/page-7#post-11700

6. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Heh, that's because it's my screenshot from early beta. Glad to see it come to use, even if it's outdated (figures were replaced et c)!

Myself, latest clear I rushed the middle with wizard and priest, and have my warrior go south west. Probably not something that works for everyone.

7. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

The sprites look much more badass than now! :)

I went in all dwarf (my first party) with a few extra dwarf-specific items giving extra armour and it wasn't that bad. I also had some step-cards on my warrior which came in handy (especially for all dwarf party) I would not bother with the victory spots too much and try to weaken them first, they are quite predictable and will go for the centre so keep that in mind when looking for cover. Ground attachments and teleport cards were quite useful too.

If you decide to go with wizards try getting cards with Resistant Hide in it.

8. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, I guess I'm partially to blame for them getting changed. There were some inconstencies with sprites (only fire was a model) and using imps for all other sprites that I reported and sadly, Ben went with all new sprites and imps rather than make more unique art for every element. Hopefully they make a comeback at some point!

(that being said, I don't dislike the new ones, just really like the original imps)

karadoc and Zoorland like this.
  9. Dave

Dave Kobold

Got through it last night! Used my original strategy with a twist. Moved both mages to one side rather than splitting them for focused attacks on whatever came into view. Once i'd whittled them down to 3 i then rushed the squares, priest first which scattered them, then killed one more and got 2 rounds of victory square. Anyone else who's trying this definitely stock up on those fire ground attachments, worked wonders. Thanks to all for your input.

Zalminen likes this.
  10. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

All we need is for Blue Manchu to expand the game and find themselves short on new monsters to include. And then . . . I suggest "gremlins."

11. MasterBeef

MasterBeef Kobold

I know you've gotten through it already, but my winning strategy was putting my Dwarf Wizard in the middle (where the imps would come and get some sorcery to the face), and send my Human Warrior/Elf Priest around the sides, chasing them around and causing general chaos.

Worked pretty well, since the Imps will always run if you're next to them and they have a movement card, meaning that instead of attacking they're falling over themselves trying to get away.

Pengw1n likes this.