Per Turn MP Time Limit? Contribute Your Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jon, Jun 12, 2013.

?

How long should you get for each turn before the game passes for you?

1. Shorter than 30 seconds

2.7%
  2. 30 seconds

4.1%
  3. One minute

20.3%
  4. Two minutes

48.6%
  5. Three minutes

14.9%
  6. Longer than three minutes

9.5%
  1. Appyo

Appyo Kobold

This may sound a little bit Goldilocks but I imagine 1 minute would feel just about right. 30 seconds perhaps doesn't allow enough time for a lag spike or DC yet 2 minutes can feel like a really long time when it's your opponents turn.

2. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

I think 2 minutes per turn, and 2 turns in a row should be a forfeit, or something along those lines.

3. kogi

kogi Ogre

Something should be done before release. I say set a max timer of 5 minutes before forfeit. Then refine it later.

4. zultor

zultor Kobold

I think you should set a longer time limit to start (like 2 or 3 minutes) than refine it later. Even better, eventually, have an option so friends can set it to a really long time so they can chit chat in the middle of the game.

One implementation question I would have is what happens when a user begins a chain before their turn timer runs out but doesn't complete that chain until after the time would run out? Does it auto-pass you in the middle of the chain? If the timer stops when the chain is initiated then what if a player never finishes the chain does that circumvent this turn timer feature?

5. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Mushroom Warrior

I thought the time limit would have been implemented for the release... :(

6. Eusix

Eusix Orc Soldier

I totally agree.
    Personally I feel that this is the biggest issue since the infinite draw decks have been addressed.

Can we get a dev to let us know where this is at?
    Please and thanks!

7. Ikeren

Ikeren Kobold

I just won a game against a player (am I allowed to name and shame/post screenshots?) where I managed to drop a wall of fire on all 3 of his guys at the end of round 1. He told me I should have cancer, and then by the end of round 2, where I had taken out all but his fighter, he left with 17 minutes on his timer and I got to just sit for 17 minutes for the win.

I imagine that is not a phenomenal benefit for the game server, because my plan was a quick log in-1 game-log out, and instead I ended up doing some writing while 2 players idled on your server load for ~17 minutes more than they needed to each.

8. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

@Ikeren, that sounds pretty unpleasant. I hope you used the in-game report system to report the player for their misconduct. Whether there's a per-turn timer or not, we shouldn't have to tolerate behaviour like that.

(I've never had anything like that happen to me.)

9. Barkam

Barkam Mushroom Warrior

People stalling against me was a common occurrence in beta. The time limit per turn feature can't come soon enough.

10. Nickel

Nickel Kobold

2 minutes? Guys, you should play chess somewhere else then. You have 1-15 (rarely 15>) cards at hand and you will be thinking some 30 turns forward for that amount of time.
    Then again, Im playing a game right now, waiting my turn to be precise with a neat comment from fellow player like: " oh wait i have work to do ) brb" and you know what I feel right now and what I want to do with that player...
    And I would need to wait 2 minutes each time the game gives him to make his turn?
    30 seconds, 1 min at max. You can have 2 min but only if the game autokicks those cravens that practice methods like the guy Im quoting (say after 2 consecutive skips). If no... 30 second would suffice (put yourself in situation like mine and you will understand what I mean)

11. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

I don't think you understand how many options one might have. Who to attack or buff, where to move, what cards the enemy has...2 minutes is rare, but should certainly be allowed.

amm likes this.
  12. Aiven

Aiven Orc Soldier

I think 2 minutes is little. I know however that I have annoyed some people in the past by playing slowly. Sometimes I like to evaluate all options. I guess the majority has spoken on this one, but I still feel like stating that I disagree. The best thing would be that all think like me ;) The next best thing might be a timer, so that people won't be annoyed by my slow turns.

amm likes this.
  13. Swiffle

Swiffle Mushroom Warrior

Personally I just want a time bank. Some of the time decisions are automatic, it's the really tricky spots where your opponent has a wide range and you have to math out possible damage, check range/line of sight/facing, and guess what cards they might have based on what they've played (+items it says they have) that you need more time for. I just spent 8(9?) rounds on the open bridges map vs 3 wizards trying to plan out HOW TO NOT DIE every single turn.

Also liked the idea from another game that if you time out 3 turns in a row you lose, to help get rid of rage afk'ers.

Aiven likes this.
  14. Nickel

Nickel Kobold

Lets pretend we have 2 min now.
    1st turn. Bob begins to play.
    11th turn. Bob sees that he cannot win, so he writes something funny and goes for coffee.
    2 mins and 15 seconds later (turn timer and opponent's move). Bobby peels his eyes from daily news he was watching and makes a run with his chars to prolong things even further.
    2 mins and 15 seconds later. Bob makes a run with his chars to prolong things even further.
    2 mins and 15 seconds later. Bob makes a run with his chars to prolong things even further.
    Bob's global timer had run off. Game won by opponnent (but at what cost?).
    Sincerely? No.

15. Swiffle

Swiffle Mushroom Warrior

How are you going to prevent that in any game. Also, it's not like it couldnt be a super serious tournament where players are playing to win and using all the timer to plan things out as much as possible

amm likes this.
  16. Nickel

Nickel Kobold

How can I? Easily. I kick anyone who skips 2 turns like that. And as I mentioned earlier in this case timer may as well be 2 minutes. Just kick' em properly.

17. Will-

Will- Kobold

Same with me on people getting annoyed with me, there have been a few times where people have thought I'm playing slowly on purpose but it is just because I like to think :(

I'm quite indifferent on the time limit as it will be applied to both. What might be interesting is a quick fire mode with smaller time limits for some real mistake based action!

amm likes this.
  18. amm

amm Kobold

I'm with Will and Swiffle above. It quite often like to think out my moves ahead and play it chess style. That may annoy someone who wanted a quick 5 minute game. Being able to set a preference for your timer per turn (1/2/5min) and then be matched accordingly may prevent some aggravation as then you are clearly saying you have no patience for more than 1 min per turn and don't want to play against anyone who does and enjoys that. It's more work though, so a turn based timer should help in the meantime to clarify what amount of time is 'OK' to take for your turns and avoid people complaining you are 'stalling' when you are looking at line of sight and distance for the next round or two. I notice most people don't mind how long I take to think out my turn until they are clearly loosing but think they still have a shot to pull it out if I rush and make a silly mistake...

19. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

Abusing the clock is reportable. Thinking is fine. Stalling is not.

Aiven likes this.
  20. amm

amm Kobold

Players should have the time to think out their turns without being accused of Stalling and threatened to be 'Reported' when playing within the clock.