Per Turn MP Time Limit? Contribute Your Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jon, Jun 12, 2013.

?

How long should you get for each turn before the game passes for you?

1. Shorter than 30 seconds

2.7%
  2. 30 seconds

4.1%
  3. One minute

20.3%
  4. Two minutes

48.6%
  5. Three minutes

14.9%
  6. Longer than three minutes

9.5%
  1. Dan Kaplan

Dan Kaplan Kobold

Jon,

I don't think I like the idea of a per-turn timer at all. Some turns simply take a bit longer than others due to the nature of the tactical gameplay.

I recommend you instead take a page from the longest-running corollary I can think of: Chess. For those players looking for the longer, more thoughtful style of gameplay, the current timer works great. For those looking for a quicker pace, a 5-Minute Blitz mode would be fun as well.

Regardless of which timer is used for the overall time, the other thing you want to do is catch people who just walked away or fell asleep. For this, if a player doesn't make any inputs in X time (1 min. Blitz, 3 min. Regular), warn them, then boot 'em if they don't respond.

Cheers,
    Dan

amm likes this.
  2. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

If I understand you correctly, that's... well, pretty much what we are going for. The question is the amount of time to give. You say you don't like the per-turn timer at all, yet suggest it at the end.

3. Dan Kaplan

Dan Kaplan Kobold

The "player walking away" mechanism is not a timer that would ever appear on screen, and it does not end your turn if you fail to meet it. If you fail to perform any action for that amount of time you would get a warning and then forfeit the match if you fail to respond. If you hover your cursor, type a message, etc. or respond to the warning then you can take as much time to consider your move as you want.

amm likes this.
  4. Unprepared4u

Unprepared4u Mushroom Warrior

There is a reason for the time limit. A damn good one, I think. Trolls exist, and people have lives to live. If you want to have infinite time in a casual game, then by all means, take as much time as you need. But, if they introduce something that even remotely resembles an infinite timer in ranked multiplayer, then this game will doubtlessly lose a lot of its PvP players. And giving people separate options (Blitz vs Infinite) will do nothing but divide the community and make the queue times longer.

5. Githian

Githian Kobold

I voted for a 2 minutes timer, but I really think this system is more flexible and overall better.

Stefan likes this.
  6. Unprepared4u

Unprepared4u Mushroom Warrior

I wouldn't complain about a system like that.

7. I support Farbs' idea.

8. applesaurus

applesaurus Mushroom Warrior

+1. Additional feature (if possible), the sound of an angry raven quorking at you when you have 20 seconds left or something. I can't tell you how many times I've played Flank Move or a similar card and then sat there waiting like an idiot for the other player to go!

9. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

I think automatically passing isn't the right choice here.
    Instead, there should be a 4 minute timer that makes you lose the game if you didn't move the mouse at all. Maybe play some music reminiscent of the drowning music from Sonic 1 as that time approaches.

10. Zureiya

Zureiya Kobold

there might also be situations in which a game lasts very long, depending on the party layouts. i suggest also adding ( if its not already there ) a very short per turn timer when your 20 minutes run out. or just a plain +10 seconds on every turn(and a slight decrease to the 20 minutes to compensate).
    20 minutes never ran out for me. but i've played other ccgs were the timer just wasn't enough because both players had stall decks.

11. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Mushroom Warrior

I agree. I voted for 2 minutes per turn but first should last a little more.

12. kogi

kogi Ogre

Grrrr. Is there any movement on this issue? I have now being waiting on this person for 10 minutes now.

Can we just set a max time limit of 5 minutes per turn for now??? Do we agree 5 minutes is more than enough to make any move??

skip_intro likes this.
  13. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Mushroom Warrior

Little OT: what is your in game nick?

14. kogi

kogi Ogre

same as forum nick

15. Eusix

Eusix Orc Soldier

Just had a game where I played one move, then waited the 20 minutes for the win.
    I hope this gets implemented soon-ish. It would be greatly appreciated.

For my 2 cents, I would like something simple. Just a 5 minutes timer that you have to take an action within that time-frame.
    Then the 20 minute timer like it is now.

Oh well, hopefully soon... only 2 minutes left to wait...

16. kogi

kogi Ogre

If you take more than 5 minutes to make a move, then I think one of the following scenarios applies

1) You have forgotten about the game and gone outside to play with the dog/cat
    2) You are a bad person, and using frustration as a tactic
    3) You are over thinking a CASUAL game and murdering the fun for your opponent.

Therefore, I propose.

If you do not make a move in 5 minutes, you immediately forfeit the game, releasing your opponent from the painful purgatory that is your non participation.

kogi

Eastside likes this.
  17. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Mushroom Warrior

Five minutes are too many.

18. nickv2002

nickv2002 Mushroom Warrior

I would like to see things changed to force things to move faster. There are many good suggestions above worth trying.

One interesting system I haven't seen mentioned is used in Banner Saga (http://store.steampowered.com/app/219340/) which is 2 tiers of play. I don't remember exactly what they call it but there's a basic level of play where you have 1 min per turn and a experienced level where you are limited to 30 seconds. To reward players for playing the faster version, you earn increased experience. I'm sure Card Hunter could offer better chests or something for a similar effect if there were 2 tiers of multiplayer matchmaking. Or have different level caps with the higher cap requiring quicker play.

Anyway, lotsa good ideas.

(PS: Obviously the exact times might not be the same in Card Hunter)

19. Muffins

Muffins Kobold

I would love to have some sort of better system for managing turns. I voted for 30 seconds because I have been playing against nothing but people that take 40-60 seconds for every single turn.

I flat out refuse to play certain people for how bad they are at playing under an appropriate amount of time. It's just become the case that a multiplayer game takes 20 to 30 minutes and ends with 10 to 15 minutes difference between myself and certain slowbies out there.

I think that 20 minutes per player is kind of overkill. Frankly, I'd appreciate that there was like a casual league and a timed league with stricter timing for players for the ranked games.

Whatever the system that gets implemented, I hope it does at least something. I'm tired of throwing matches to people that stall out the game.

20. Muffins

Muffins Kobold

5 minutes? Ugh, far far too long. Most of the problem is that some players take a consistently long time per turn to play. Taking a solid minute per play adds up to 20 minutes far too 'quickly'.