Peon's Not So Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by peonprop, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Since the thread seem to be on a discussion time-out, if Brin's Storm Locket is an option, it's quite good in the demon portals. Also on map 3 of Forest of Souls, but I don't bother swapping out for that one.

peonprop likes this.
  2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bronson's Halberd (N)
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    Laser Whip is the highest damage 2 range melee attack available but it comes at an incredibly restrictive cost. Without step attacks or other Stabs, you are losing a lot of tempo in repositioning for subsequent attacks. If you're going that route, I'd rather just run the less cost restrictive Double-Edged Sword or the more consistent Tango Spear. Bronson's Halberd has flashy cards but it ultimately isn't worth playing unless you specifically want more blocks. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Warriors want to maximize damage output and Bronson's Halberd fails to deliver over a simple Bejeweled Shortsword. Even among Stab weapons, the aforementioned Double-Edged Sword beats it out as well. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Mark 2 Broadsword (R) (majortoken)(majortoken)

Sir Veza likes this.
  3. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bruising Dervish (N)
    This is the perfect weapon for making a warrior that camps on victory squares. Violent Spin allows you to push opposing characters off and keep them off barring the occasional Immovable. Only requiring minor tokens also allows you to invest heavily into defense and, dare I say, even more Violent Spins on boots. Sure, your warrior probably couldn't kill a fly but given the right map you won't have to. Do not purchase for your average warrior but if you're looking for a change of pace, Bruising Dervish might just be for you.

Most maps don't have victory squares so the best you can do with Violent Spin is use it as a Team Walk every once in a while. You want warriors to do as much damage as possible so replacing attacks on weapons is bad with the exception of Blind Rage. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None

Gingrich Yurr and Sir Veza like this.
  4. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Brutal Agility (U):(
    Brutal Charge and Escaping Run are good cards but when you play with items like Brutal Agility you are giving up the chance to run racial cards that can't be found in other slots. For elves that means cards like Elven Maneuvers, Elvish Scamper, and Slippery. Sometimes your elf can't really take advantage of these cards and that's when you would want skills that give you copies of powerful cards from other slots. However, I doubt anyone has ever thought to themselves, "Gee, I wish I could shove more Escaping Runs into my deck." Even Brutal Charge, a card that has huge blowout potential, is something that gets a bit worse after the first copy you draw. Skill items need to do something exciting or cost no tokens. Brutal Agility does neither. Would not purchase.

Whenever I play elves I am looking for cards that allow me to chase down enemies. Brutal Charge and Escaping Run sort of fit the bill but there are so many items I would rather equip over Brutal Agility, the two most common ones being Cautious Mobility and Superb Evasion. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None

5. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bug Zapper 2000 :(
    There are handicaps so disqualifying bad that items that have them are virtually unplayable. Fumble is one of them. If drawn in the opening hand, you discard your base move which often halts the effected character and makes them irrelevant for the round. On subsequent turns, a drawn Fumble will discard a good card you saved from the previous round. Scatter Laser is neat but the combination of Fumble and 2 weak attacks make Bug Zapper 2000 awful. Would not purchase.

Scatter Laser is often just worse than Deadly Spark and I wouldn't even consider using that either. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    none

Comments from the Peanut Gallery
    @Gingrich Yurr
    Sorry for interrupting again, but I think it deserves a Niche instead of :(. Scatter Laser is absurdly strong in Musical Chairs and I had a very successful build utilising 3 of it and 3 Repulsor Rayguns. See here. Though I guess that still doesn't make it worth buying.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  6. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bynzer's Black Spear (N)
    The popularity of vamps comes and goes but they are undeniably strong if you can deal with armor. Though their attacks are weaker than other melee characters, adding healing to each attack can turn the damage race in your favor. Add Talented Healer to the mix and you can sometimes take out low health or injured characters before they have a chance to respond. When it comes to vamp weapons, Bynzer's Black Spear is one of the best. You want a high density of draining attacks and 4 is the most you can get. Vampire's Blade gives you that higher density through trait cycling but you risk taking too much Loner damage if you dual wield it. There's also Darkforce Nunchaku which, while offering a whole lot more damage, is more conditional and skimps a bit on the vamp attacks. Highly recommend purchasing for vamp enthusiasts.

Vamps actually tend to be stronger than warriors when going tokenless. However, once you start getting into minor token territory, which Bynzer's Black Spear requires, warriors regain the upper hand. For the rare instance you want a vamp, Vampire's Blade does a good enough job. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Vampire's Blade (R), Storge's Proboscis (R) (majortoken)(minortoken)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  7. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bynzer's Weighted Club :confused:
    I love Barge as a card but as melee attack, it is among the most susceptible control cards to blocks. You would need a heavy commitment to attacks for drawing out blocks that most support priests can't accommodate. If you must run a preventative measure against melee attackers, I would be try Entangling Roots. As a projectile, it doesn't get blocked by the ever present Parry and it hoses step attacks like Nimble Strike that answer Barge. Alternatively, my preferred method of avoiding melee attacks is to not give the enemy the opportunity in the first place. Leave your priest in the back where they are much less likely to be attacked but can still throw out buffs. Bynzer's Weighted Club is a unique item with good cards but just isn't as effective as you'd like. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny Pinching Singleplayers
    You do not need Barge on priests in singleplayer. If you want your priest to go untouched simply keep it in the back ranks. The AI will go after whichever character you send out front first. If your priest is the tank of the party, an Impenetrable Nimbus is much more reliable at dealing with multiple mobs than a single target control card. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None

8. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Sorry for interrupting again, but I think it deserves a Niche instead of :(. Scatter Laser is absurdly strong in Musical Chairs and I had a very successful build utilising 3 of it and 3 Repulsor Rayguns. See here. Though I guess that still doesn't make it worth buying.

peonprop, ParodyKnaveBob and smg225 like this.
  9. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Cadefel's Savage Maul :confused:
    Cadefel's Savage Maul used to be great in a Volcano build but Savage Curse is no longer worth using on wizards. There are enough ways to get Cleansing effects that you don't need to run items with cards you don't want. Absolution does a far better job in and in that respect. Cleansing Ray is also the best Cleansing option as it cycles on unused terrain when you don't need the effect. Would not purchase.

Volcano is one of the most efficient farming builds but you generally don't need Cleansing effects in singleplayer. All you need to do is wait for the AI to use all its moves and pray they don't have more hidden away. Cleansing effects can be nice when you encounter mobs with their own terrain cards but Bahoxl's Maul is cheaper and better for the job. Personally, I just max out on Shielding Tokens and call it a day. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Bahoxl's Maul (E) (minortoken)(minortoken)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  10. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Captain Cedric's Boots (P)
    Team Walk is an amazing card and Flanking Move is no slouch either. However, both the Team Walk nerf and power creep have ended the reign of Captain Cedric's Boots as the best minor token boots. I was blown away when I saw Captain's Gumshoes. Team Shift has the same overall movement as Team Walk, Sparkling Cloth Armor is nutso both on offense and defense, and you get a Dash with upside to boot. Flanking Move is very good in a Stab build and useful for surprise ranged attacks but other than that, I have a hard time justifying not using Captain's Gumshoes. Only purchase if you're out to abuse Flanking Move and you need team mobility.

Seriously, have you seen Captain's Gumshoes? All that on a flippin uncommon? Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Sliding Boots (E) (majortoken)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  11. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Captain Cedric's Helm (P)
    Captain Cedric's Helm is great for a tokenless helmet but Crusty Helm is simply better for the average warrior. Obvious Maneuver is one of the least harmful handicaps available. For one turn your opponent gets to know most of the cards in your hand but that isn't as bad as it seems. Every trait you reveal is another unknown card and the card you draw off of Obvious Maneuver itself remains hidden as well. Obviously, Obvious Maneuver isn't free but I'd gladly reveal around 2 cards for 1 turn and make my warrior's deck size smaller instead of having a low impact Officer's Harness. The half point of armor prevention per attack is not worth a card unless you're running other cards that combo with it like Enchanted Harness or Leadership. Captain Cedric's Helm can be the best helm available when you do have these synergies. Would not purchase otherwise.

Captin Cedric's Helm is better than Crusty Helm in singleplayer since the card draw on Obvious Maneuver gets turned off. However, it isn't 2.4k gold better. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Crusty Helm (R)

12. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Captain Cedric's Vow (P)
    I can count on one hand how many playable single token weapons there are and Captain Cedric's Vow is the newest one to join the list. While it offers less damage than something like Dangerous Club, it gives you a double dose of Vengeance in return. Vengeance lets you inch closer to ranged characters and escape melee character with every hit you take. It's incredibly versatile and allows you to back attack if you have a way to enable Fly or Free Move on your movement. This is a fantastic pickup for builds that need to free up a token.

While there is a huge need for good low level weapons, Vengeance isn't as important as getting more damaging attacks. The best options for those on a budget are Maquah Of Ancient Blood and Blazing Shortsword, the latter being preferable for its free cost. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None

13. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Captain Teadora's Resolve :(
    With the exception of werewolf form, forms don't see play. Vamp form is sub par if you aren't already running a vamp build and spirit form just plain sucks. The unpredictability of Shifting Block makes it more of a fun card than a serious contender for inclusion. Subtle Parry is another card I'm not fond of. The average melee character doesn't run 4 or less power attacks unless they're step attacks in which case Pushback Parry has a huge upside. Subtle Parry is even less likely to draw a card when you factor in how much buffing goes around that pushes weak attacks out of range. Would not purchase.

There are no legendary shields worth purchasing. Every token cost has a good lower rarity option that specializes in either melee or magic/projectile blocks that you can pick before heading in. Heck, blocks aren't all that important so could just throw on any old shield and call it a day. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Shield Of Affliction (E), Shield Of The Wraith (E), Terror-Forged Shield (E) (minortoken)

14. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Caustic Pain :(
    Acid attacks see virtually no play so Hex Of Dissolution is a glorified Dissolve Armor. While packing a few armor removal cards is generally a good idea, devoting two thirds of a staff to it is overkill. Until we get some insane new acid cards, Caustic Pain and all other acid matters items should be shoved into a dark place and forgotten. Would not purchase.

I actually do regularly use an armor removal staff a lot but it sure as heck isn't Caustic Pain. I am talking about Trog Melter. Not only is it tokenless but you also get the hard to find Melt Armor. The Immediately keyword gets around blocks making it superior to other options when blocks are involved. If you don't want to give up the staff slot, equipping a couple Rust Creature Glands or Akon's Amulet works fine too. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None

15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Chalchu's Hammer (P)
    There are no divine weapons with more than 4 vamp attacks so in that regard Chalchu's Hammer is above average. It also only requires a single token though vamps are one of the easiest builds to budget tokens with. What it really boils down to is how good Sapping Spears are. Personally, I think they're too weak. In a vacuum, Sapping Spear generates a 4 point life swing so it is the equivalent of a Bludgeon. Of course it's a lot better when you factor in Talented Healer and buffs but I really don't like running attacks that rely so heavily on other cards. That said, the two Unnerving Strikes do make up for lost damage. Chalchu's Hammer is a perfectly reasonable weapon but I would never run it over Vampire's Blade or Bynser's Black Spear on a vamp. Would not purchase.

Vamps are good for lower levels when you need a melee character but Vampire's Blade is good enough. Loner does kill you a fair amount on maps with a lot of mobs but you generally want wizards for those anyways. If you're running a buff priest that needs a low cost divine weapon, Sacrificial Axe ability to dig through your deck is more valuable than doing a bit more damage with your support character. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Bad Juju Mace (R) (minortoken), Xipe's Maquah (E) (minortoken)(minortoken): Unnerving Strike
    Vampire's Blade (R): Vamp attacks

16. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Chartwell's Amulet (P)
    Chartwell's Amulet is a great item. Stone Spikes is the best paper quality card for wizards in multiplayer and Short Perplexing Ray helps wizards out of jams while weakening people who have the audacity to try and get close. However, there is one thing holding Chartwell's Amulet back from getting the Peon seal of approval. It is basically a glorified Rod Of Palver Pree. You get two copies of damaging terrain and an arguably more versatile Telekinesis all for the price of an epic. Sure, Hot Spot folds to Resistant Hide and can't block up a single lane passage but it also does more damage and can be used to aid movement across difficult terrain. Would not purchase.

Stone Spikes can do a lot of damage in the early levels but once you start facing endless hoards of zombies or slimes, even taking significant chunks out of a single target isn't enough anymore. Also, Rod of Palver Pree is again superior since using Telekinesis to move a mob back on to spikes is worth more than a single discard from what are likely to be bigger hands. Ditch the legendary and go with the cheapo all-star. Or better yet, invest in Firestorm. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Rod Of Palver Pree (E), Simin's Glowing Mirror (E)

Sir Veza likes this.
  17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Chartwell's Ring (BN)
    Firestorm is hard to make work as a strategy. Range 5 makes it hard to get close enough to melee characters without getting attacked and most opposing wizards will have a greater range. If you're just looking for a good tokenless arcane item, you are better off using ones that have more control cards with Asmod's Telekinetic Chain being the gold standard. Would not purchase.

Double Firestorm and tokenless to boot? Yes please. It is a little worse than Azgul's Orb when you need to take down a big enemy but a little better when all the mobs are at around the same health and you can use Short Perplexing Ray to remove armor, get into position, or get out of melee attack range. Either way, I wouldn't pass up on Chartwell's Ring. These legendary Firestorm items are crucial for speed farming and are very hard to come by. Highly recommend purchasing.

Substitutes
    none

ThriceElite, Reint and Sir Veza like this.
  18. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Chiro's Cursed Amulet :confused:
    Swarm Of Bats is amazing for wizards. Against melee characters, it prevents the first attack and subsequent attacks if they don't have movement available. Against opposing wizards, it foils Burst and Linear attacks and can be used to get out of range or behind cover. However, Chiro's Cursed Amulet is a package deal. Ancient Grudge requires a lot of time and setup and Glob Of Flame bites against armor. It is incredibly hard to make use out of both those cards together. I am more inclined to run Batnado. Sure, Boo! is also hard to use but it works with Whirlwind and you have a little more freedom with the rest of the build. Would not purchase.

While Swarm of Bats can get you out of a jam, a major token is too valuable to use on a single card. You are either giving up a bunch of damage or a more consistent defensive item. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Vial Of Spite (E) (minortoken)

19. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Clovidian's Mail (P)
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Players
    Clovidian's Mail is the best Reliable Mail heavy armor for a minor token but it has two things going against it that make it an awful buy. There are 3 epic heavy armors that also have double Reliable Mail. The only advantage of using Clovidian's Mail over the second best ones is a whopping 2 whole hp you get from discarding Toughened Hide Strips. The more nuanced reason is that heavy armor is one of the most popular item slots to go tokenless with, the most prominent ones being Perilous Ringmail, Spiked Tlahuiztli, and Snarlcub Hide. The default method of distributing tokens for a warrior is 6 tokens on weapons and the last 2 on shield, racial skill, boots, or martial skill. Reliable Mail does a respectable job against wizards but big melee attacks can essentially blank them. You are often better off getting powerful cards out of your other slots. Would not purchase.

What's that Randimar, your Toughened Hide Strips will heal me 2 hp if I fork over 2000 extra gold? I have a better idea, why don't you show me that True Mail off the clearance rack? Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Sturdy Armor (E) (minortoken), Sturdy Mail (E) (minortoken), True Mail (E) (minortoken)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  20. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Clowen's Boots (N):(
    Chain Harness sucks as standalone armor and it doesn't get much better as a roll booster for regular armor. You really need armors with strong triggers like Barbed Platemail and Mimetic Armor before Chain Harness becomes worth considering. Clowen's Boots work particularly well with Mimetic armors since they all require a major token as do all the best Enchanted Harness items. The problem with Clowen's Boots is that it's an overcosted Absolem's Leather Shoes. The increased damage reduction of Chain Harness over Leather Harness is negligible so it's just better to go with the tokenless option for the same effect. Would not purchase.

You could go through a lot of hoops to try and get some extra damage out of your armors. Or you could just throw in some Martyr Blessings on a buff priest and call it a day. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Angry Jack's Boots (E) (minortoken)