Pay to Win? Please tread carefully, this game can be amazing

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Outiluke, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Stefan

Stefan Mushroom Warrior

lols @ Heretiick mediocre, hehe

Just means you have the time to put into this great game.

2. gcaliber

gcaliber Kobold

After release there will most likely be a ceiling you will hit without paying with the top ranked players being ones who buy items to build the best possible decks. It will take a while for this to show up, but after some time it certainly will.

3. DevourKing

DevourKing Kobold

Building the best possible deck has it's flaws (you can't counter every type as it stands), so you may very well be able to buy the best mechanic for a certain strategy, but it won't be truly effective. Some legendary items, whilst effective, only provide one and usually are in stranger than fiction circumstances where they become necessary. Meaning the games core balance is very well done, so the best cards don't mean the best strategy. Couple this with the luck of a draw, spawn at start, rolls during game etc.

No, I don't think it's a pay-to-win.

4. Heretiick

Heretiick Goblin Champion

Without writing another wall of text, I want to talk about why the rarest items aren't the best items. Let's say you want to build a step attack based warrior (a very good MP strategy), Vicious Thrust and Nimble Strike are the two best step attack cards in the game right now. So you want to try and stack those two right? Vibrant Pain is the only legendary item that you would consider for that build and obviously if you had it you would run it. Does that mean you have to have that item to win with a step warrior? NO, absolutely not. There are many items you could substitute for it that are just as good, such as Lochaber Axe or even Rageblood Dagger. Both of those items are higher level and not the easiest to get, but much easier than Vibrant Pain.

Anyway, I stand by my opinion that this is not a pay-to-win game.

Appyo and Banezilla like this.
  5. DevourKing

DevourKing Kobold

My sentiments exactly.

6. Angry Penguin

Angry Penguin Mushroom Warrior

Yeah I would say the balance at moment does not force PtW. Paying as it stands right now mostly allows you to acquire good items faster. So if your interested in by passing a lot of grinding then paying is on way to get a jump. To be sure you need decentitems to be competitive in MP but you can obtain that through playing multiple mp games a day or by running the upper level SP dungeons. Also don't forget they do have to balance the game between fun to play and the need to generate cash. These people do need to eat and they didn't code the game because they were bored. So paying does need to confer an advantage. In this instance the advantage is speed, not effectiveness. Down the road as/if they add expansions speed of aquistion through payment might confer a momentary advantage in MP but over time that will be eroded. So far none of the SP content requires you to spend a dime of real money. It just requires you to mix up your deck to solve the current puzzle.

7. gcaliber

gcaliber Kobold

My feeling is that the best possible MP strategies haven't been found yet as they would rely on running many legendaries to do so and I doubt anyone has enough at this point.

8. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Items don't have a whole lot of bearing on strategies. It's pretty obvious what strategies there are, how well you can execute them is based on your cards. Legendaries are not the end all be all cards. many commons are more usable than most legendaries, and I think you'd be surprised how many cards people have currently. (I for instance have a hard time scrolling my inventory due to too many cards I think.)

9. they have a great set up here. Nothing to change. It's not a pay to play game. But a lot of the legendary items kinda suck. Esp since fire cards are useless half the time due to armor or heals.

Adding more classes, races, and abilities would be awesome. And not having to pay for a ranger class or something... summons would be fcking awesome here.
    Like a summoner class should lose permanent HP per summon... but imagine having an army and your summoner has 1 hp and their wizard casts reign of fire to find out the summoner also is immune to fire armor.. but you cast cone of cold and bam, all the summons die too.

Wozarg likes this.