OK... so maybe I'm being pedantic, but...

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by battlezoby, Dec 17, 2021.

1. battlezoby

battlezoby Ogre

It would be nice if we were technically allowed to play against Cardotron
    and the other GM's!

(Disclaimer: This post is technically serious, but only "technically."
    If you really care about your time, maybe don't bother reading this.)

I can barely read the TOS because the font is so small, but I think
    it said we shouldn't:
    • "Take deliberate and repetitive advantage of bugs."
    Previously, Jon has posted a policy that says we have to try to win Ranked games.

(Flaxative clarified it was ok to play "silly builds", but that we have to still
    try to win the match with them once it starts.)

I think the two policies combined create a catch-22, which means we all should
    never check the "Allow GM Opponents" box, because:

On one hand, Cardotron and other GM's are so bugged, that if you don't resign against
    them, you'll probably be taking advantage of their repetitive bugs because their logic and
    moves have so damn many of them....

But on other other hand, you can't not-try-to-win as per Jon's policy on the game begins,
    so you can't just let your self lose either when they inevitably flake out.

So, Catch-22 - You probably can't play Ranked vs. GM opponents while simultaniously
    respecting the policy and the TOS. (If I read the tiny-font TOS correctly.)

I guess we also shouldn't equip Ready-to-Strike on the Mitternacht maps because
    the guys there bug out like crazy and repeatedly slaughter themselves via Vengenance.

Yes, I hope and assume that policy won't be enforced. Yes, I'm not "100% serious", but
    my lawyer told me that we should write what we mean, and mean what we write, and
    I am serious (but not too insistent) that the TOS (if it does say that) ought
    to be worded better or have that part removed.

Perhaps it could say:

"If you think you've discovered an obscure bug that the developers
    might not be aware of, please report it to them. If the developers
    have acknowledged any bugs which you should not take advantage
    of, you should observe that request."​

I'm pretty good at writing legalese (slowly and painstakingly) so that's not my best
    example of such... I'd consider a more serious effort to write a better one in the unlikely
    event that anyone really cares and someone in Knights asks for a better suggestion.
    (Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and even though I'm smarter than most of them, you should
    always consult a lawyer and not believe my suggestions because the actual Judges and lawyers
    have made "laws" saying that I'm not allowed to give "legal advice" and so I'm not
    actually giving any.)

fatcat__25 and Sir Veza like this.
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

GMs play monsters for our mutual story-telling enjoyment. Monsters make bad decisions at times.

GMs, despite all of Melvin's hemming and hawing, aren't that skilled at PvP. Gary's young and inexperienced. Melvin, skill, heh. We don't really know Amy, unless *someone* (who's more about splash than strict mechanics) enters competition under a pseudonym... Cardotron is just a poor computer; we can only expect so much from it. And Mom? *pssh* P2W, clearly. She's totally welcome to play, just like anyone else, but let's not even count that wallet warrior in this particular discussion.

Feature—not a bug. $:^ D

fatcat__25 likes this.
  3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

This. The GM opponents are designed to play badly so players can exploit their weaknesses.

ParodyKnaveBob and Reint like this.
  4. battlezoby

battlezoby Ogre

Yea, I guess you got me there - the stupid NPC's really are a "feature", not a "bug".

But, I heard rumors that over the past few days, people were getting chests that didn't have enough
    items in them, allowing them to play longer with less fear of improving their collections to the point
    that they have so much of the good stuff that new (normal-size chests) are less exciting than they
    used to be due to the increased chance of dropping extra/"unusable" items.

So, that really really doesn't sound like a "feature" to me, and so those people were probably repeatedly
    "exploiting bugs" and violating the terms of service.

5. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I imagine you're trying to be cute, but there's definitely no in-game flavor for chests missing items, hence the devs hotfixing it and dumping a whole bunch of apologetic items on us all.

Reint, Flaxative and Gast86 like this.