Officer's Harness and shrinking your deck

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Tyro, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

Correct me if I'm wrong: Any card in your hand can't be drawn again from the deck until it's cycled through your discards. Officer's Harness sticks around, removing itself from your deck indefinitely without cramping your hand. That suggests to me that it's useful in a similar way to trait cycling, though not as powerful due to the lack of a free draw. So, for example, Lt. Buckwell's Boots might be superior to Mouse Boots if you don't need 3 move cards but prefer Flanking Moves to the trait cycling from Goat Boots. Is this right?

2. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

You're correct in that Officer's Harness is much less powerful than a trait. How much less powerful? Well. /cough

Since Officer's Harness doesn't draw you a card, the only way it would actually shrink your deck / make your deck more consistent is if you could go through your entire deck and start to draw from your deck a second time. Hmm.

In other words, Officer's Harness ruins the day yet again for another Cardhuntrian.

3. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

At least previously you could cycle your deck pretty quick if you had elven maneuvers but now it isn't great since it only goes through 2 cards per activation!

Tyro likes this.
  4. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Yeah, as @CT5 said above, usually regular PvP matches don't last long, that you'd cycle your deck completely (at least multiple times).

However, Quick Draw is another thing entirely and Officer's Harness is quite good pick for paper card there.

BlackVoidDeath, CT5 and Tyro like this.
  5. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

You can try and engineer Pathfinding, but good luck doing that stuff reliably

seth arue and Tyro like this.
  6. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

Well, in QuickDraw with couple traits Officer's Harness does good job of shrinking the deck, of course best if drawn in 1st round:D

Tyro likes this.
  7. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

Maybe it's just the way I play but I've found that having a card like Officer's Harness has come in handy in PVP matches when I've not been able to draw any armor cards in order to protect one of my guys.

8. JakeAlmighty

JakeAlmighty Mushroom Warrior

a card that saves you 0.5 damage per attack, with significant variance involved to boot?

9. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Officer's: great in QD, almost an auto pick at paper.

The only time OH has caused me issues in regular MP was during a drawn out positioning match where the guy had 3 x OH by the time we engaged. When I hit him I found out he had reliable and an enchanted harness as well, making 7 points of damage he was probably going to block on each attack.

So next round I hit him with a boiling.

10. Led

Led Orc Soldier

boiling. the greastest card of all. that single card i would say is the most powerfull in the game

11. hello world

hello world Hydra

Boiling, the right card for the job when your opponent has an armor with adaptable.
    Either that or purge... thinking about it I prefer purge.

12. SerraSerra

SerraSerra Kobold

Officers is made to cycle cards indeed , it's good to have a lot of officers harnas on a human-leadership based build.

13. SerraSerra

SerraSerra Kobold

Also with softener i think i would make a nice combo to have a lot of 'free armor' , watch out for chask carrying mages tough ....

14. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

I keep armor removers on both of my mages plus using attacks like Sundering Strike to ignore armor works great for me especially against heavily armored priests and warriors. Of course though the biggest pain for me is dealing with Toughness dwarfs that completely make you fail on your hardest hit if your like me and try to go for the kill shot and work your way down to your weaker attacks.

15. JakeAlmighty

JakeAlmighty Mushroom Warrior

weaker attacks *exist* to burn through things such as toughness and the never ending deluge of parries and blocks, os that your big attacks can get through

16. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

Yeah I need to be keeping that in mind. I've played quite a few players that have actually done excatly that to reveal my hidden armors and to burn through my blocks.

17. c4rnivean

c4rnivean Orc Soldier

A few players such as... everyone?

18. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

I can't say "everyone" for me because I've played a mixture of season players and people a little bit more noob than me. Mainly the one I run into is a guy I test my decks with before I play multiplayer and he uses highly armored dwarf priests and uses his heals to proc my blocks and armors.

19. Galvatron

Galvatron Orc Soldier

It gives you cards to discard for your 10 dmg attack or Savage Curse and such. It's really fun but probably not best way to get to 1800 rating.

20. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

I once tried to protect a warrior with 2 enchanted harness and a lot of officer's harness
    The warrior was quite sturdy

But I lost , a timeout defeat, because of the huge number of dice rolled on defense every time I was attacked... and dots made it worse.

Tyro and Potato Priest like this.