Off Topic 2.0

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aeryon, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

You know what game I would like to see remade? Battletoads

Don't change anything, just update the graphics. The game was perfect.

2. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Except 90% of americans couldnt get past stage 3. Didnt help from what i understand the Japanese version was easier but still impossibly difficult. If they remade it, they need to tone it down to something i can sit through cause its not something i would buy and spend more then 12 hours on just to not get half way through it. I like difficult games dont get me wrong, but a remade game i played and was frustrated at long ago is not something i wana spend time on with so many games out nowadays that are excellent.

3. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

Was the the jetbike stage? Yea, that was a real pain in the butt. I think that stage caused me to break our NES Advantage controller out of frustration.

4. SurgeonFish

yes, problem is, its not the only one in the game, the 2nd one is probably 5x worse and requires pixel perfect precision

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Oh, I could do the jetbike stage! This was back when Nintendo Power was kinda useful, and I used their map.

I'd just never have enough lives to go very far beyond due to the war of attrition. If only you weren't a one-hit-wonder so much; the start of the game gives you the impression that you might have health leeway throughout the whole thing, but nooooooooooo.

It's pretty easy to imagine an alternate setup where the toads clamber out of that jetbike chasm, perhaps on fire, with a lot less health but still on that life.

6. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

Another brutal game was The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES. Not the arcade version converted to 8-bit, but there was a native TMNT game on the NES. I think playing that game when I was like 9 years old was the first time I had stayed up a complete 24 hours. At a sleep over of course. My parents would have killed me if they had known I was playing NES at 4 in the morning lol.
    [​IMG]

7. Sir Knight

About 15 years after I first played TMNT, I went back and played it again. I had all the levels memorized where my young and incompetent self had applied forehead to wall, in circles if possible, over and over. Then I didn't see what was so hard and I got straight to the Technodrome first try, clearing levels I had never so much as played before.

Didn't actually beat it. Now I know I could, though.

Anyone here beat Marble Madness?

8. weaselfeet

weaselfeet Kobold

My vote goes to Crush, Crumble and Chomp

Good find Jon, I played a heaps of DM and Bloodwych.

skip_intro likes this.
  9. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

I miss Aerobiz.

10. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

The very name brings back memories of the ads in The Dragon, looking at all of the unobtainable American games and wondering what they'd be like to play. Ah, happy youth... :)

11. profroche

profroche Mushroom Warrior

Anyone here played Rings Of Power?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Power_(video_game)
    I actually managed to beat this before the days of the internet and GameFAQs, which was almost unheard of. While the fights are often brutally difficult due to the open world nature of the game, the real issue is that it basically requires you to be psychic to advance. The one part I know that caught just about everyone required you to search a completely unremarkable square to get a plot item.

12. SurgeonFish

im probably in the same boat as you Sir Knight, played it back when i was young and hand nothing better to do. Back then i didnt get frustrated with games, i just kept playing till i found out every mechanic and beat them. Its one of the reasons i was able to finish games like super mario 3, zelda, and dragon warrior when i was 3 years old.

Nowadays i dont think i could play and finish those games. Ive never played marble madness but ive seen it played

13. Sir Knight

You've reminded of this approximately-two-year-old I know who's beaten Portal 1 and 2, yet is at an age when he can't reliably pronounce "portal device."

14. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I think the hardest game I've ever beaten was the original Wizardry. Man, that was a hard game. Every time you died, your party was "lost" in the dungeon and you had to send a back-up team to rescue them. If you tried to reset the computer while they were in the dungeon to avoid death, they got sent to a limbo. The game shipped with a program to recover them from this limbo state, but every time you did so they aged. Eventually, old age started reducing their stats...

The only way to get to the final level was to fall through a trap in the floor of the 9th level. The trap was in the corner of a room where there was no reason to go, so you basically had to map out the whole level on graph paper and systematically explore it.

Fun times.

15. profroche

Amazingly, Wizardry IV was even harder than that. It's Wizardry 1 from the main boss' perspective. Everything is harder, and the only way to get stronger is to advance to the next level. Fighting enemies has no benefit whatsoever.

16. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Gary Grigsby's War In The East - man, that game is hard!

On a lighter note, Dungeon Master was a good game that had a decent difficulty.

17. Sir Knight

There are a number of games that require you to be psychic, but they usually allow some means of learning. The primary one is being killed, or otherwise being too late to succeed, and looking at what you couldn't possibly have known beforehand. (I'm glowering at you, Hitman.)

This is obviously not like that, so was there any way whatsoever to know about the square? Dragon Warrior did technically tell you which unremarkable square held the Fairy Flute. Were you at least informed that searching-tiles-in-general was required to advance?

18. profroche

Basically, how Ring's overworld worked is (Assuming I'm remembering everything correctly...this was like 15 years ago) is that it was a grid, with coordinates. You were given the coordinates you needed. The problem was that investigating a grid square took you to a detail of that square, which was something like 64 x 64 panels. There was no indication of which of those 4,000 or so individual panels you needed to search. The area itself was a little graveyard. Obvious solution, search all of the graves, right? Nope. It was a spot a couple of steps behind one of the graves, which was entirely unremarkable.
    There are a lot of difficult puzzles in that game that had fair solutions. I think that part caused a lot of people to ragequit even after working so hard to get that far.

Edit: Ok, that's a little difficult to understand. Summary: At one point the game forces you to guess from a few thousand possibilities.

19. SurgeonFish

Since Jay was announced to help with Card Hunter, I checked out the website that was linked in the twitter of where he came from and I gotta say that I am enjoying Blight of the Immortals.

If ya wana play with me, my username is SurgeonFish

http://blight.ironhelmet.com/

20. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Blight is very cool, as is Neptune's Pride.